ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 03:12 PM
Lexus4Her
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just some questions

K, my girlfriend has a 1996 lexus es 300(v6) and I was wanting to ask questions to get better involved in her car. I am a firebird fanatic true and true, owning three of them, 2 88s and 1 91, but I want to help my girlfriend out. So here we go, this car has no aftermarket mods yet:

dual electric fans
what temperature is the thermostat in it
any ideas to imporve air intake(dual filters, air induction hood)
what kind of intake manifold does it has(inlcuding what kind of fuel injection system, tpi? and some good ideas for improved injectors)
can you put dual headers on these cars and run true dual exhuast on it
does it have a smog pump and how will it effect the engines computer sensory system also is it hard to remove?

like I said I am new to these cars so any input would be appreciatted
Old 06-23-07, 03:34 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Lexus4Her
K, my girlfriend has a 1996 lexus es 300(v6) and I was wanting to ask questions to get better involved in her car. I am a firebird fanatic true and true, owning three of them, 2 88s and 1 91, but I want to help my girlfriend out. So here we go, this car has no aftermarket mods yet:

dual electric fans
what temperature is the thermostat in it
any ideas to imporve air intake(dual filters, air induction hood)
what kind of intake manifold does it has(inlcuding what kind of fuel injection system, tpi? and some good ideas for improved injectors)
does it have a smog pump and how will it effect the engines computer sensory system also is it hard to remove?

like I said I am new to these cars so any input would be appreciatted
190 thermostat
Single electric fan on a 96
Uses a Multi Point Fuel Injection

Her car is the 2nd generation, 5th(final) year, and aftermaket performance parts are very hard to find for some reason. Gen 3s are easier. Dont know about the smog pump on the 1mz engine. My 92 has a different engine. Probably any custom exhaust would have to be fabbed up.

Hope this helps!!
Old 06-23-07, 04:04 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

dual electric fans, why the stock cooling system can handle triple the OEM power output off of a racetrack & on the street.
what temperature is the thermostat in it 190*F
any ideas to imporve air intake(dual filters, air induction hood) Silly *** ram-air / dual filters, but you can make/buy a limited amount of ram air, or CAI's. They typical loose afew horsepower to gain maybe 4 over stock. Stock is already a CAI. Remove the resonator & cut the bottom of the airbox out of you're cheap.
It is a sequential port injection setup run at 49-51psi of fuel pressure above ambient using 6 240cc peak & hold Denso injectors. Why do you think adding mroe fuel will help? They run rich as a pig OEM... There's nearly 300bhp worth of fuel already in it, and you're making 188bhp. You think the 10-15 horsepower in custom boltons is going to need mroe fuel???
The intake manifold is a split pleumn acoustically controlled unit with an average intake port size of 1.6125" * 11.75". The pluemn volume being both shared bank at high rpm, and split chamber at high throttle, low rpm. The pleumn volume itself is around 1.02L

Yes but why the hell would you? True duels suck, even with an H pipe they negate almost all of their advantage to a large degree by not having been merged to a single pipe using a good Y, or an X section for duals. Plus, the stock exhaust from the y-pipe back IS NOT RESTRICTIVE. Change the exhaust if you want to change the sound. Noone makes headers, tho if you made some you would want them long-tube 3-1 into 2" collectors, merged into a 2" collector, and then stepped up to 3" from there out, or dual 2" pipes using an X collector.
There is no smog pump, it's not 1970. It uses an EGR system off the rear manifold, and it does check the temperature of the EGR systme to make sure that it is functioning correctly. If deleted, it can be tricked by a 10w resistor (or 10 ohm i forget, that's what factory service manuals are for) As with anything, deleting EGr will keep the intake tract cleaner, but the engine will run leaner during cruise because EGR makes the mixture effectively rich.

Normally Aspirated modifications beyond a y-pipe is normally expencive, and nets almost nothing. The intake & cat back, if perfect would be worth maybe 10 horsepower at very, very high rpms.
If you want to go faster, put a 75 wet shot on it, turbo it, or drill the TRD supercharger out to fit & hope you don't blow it up in a year.

N/A mods are in general phenominally bad price to performance unless you are capible of welding, and doing your own headwork & engine tuning (Piggyback, or stand-alone only. You can not re-flash, or chip a Toyota ECU with your own settings.)

That goes for all vehicles. Normally aspirated is expencive & slow. Forced induction can be done for the same cost as any halfway descent N/A mod list, yet will trounce the living crap out of an N/A engine.