ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES Strut Bar Fits Camry and Solara?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-01, 06:49 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES Strut Bar Fits Camry and Solara?

Was wondering if anyone here knows if it will fit? Do the ES, Camry and Solara share the same suspension layout...so the same strut bar will fit on all cars? Will a strut bar for 96-2000 ES fit on a 2000 Solara?

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-17-01, 08:23 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sorry CyberGS3

Unfortunately, the Solara and ES300 do not share the same suspension layout to accomidate a strut bar.

According to some sources that I heard from, the Camry V6 and the ES300 DO share many of the same suspension components but please check with Toyota 1st before you go ahead and purchase it. They will tell you if it will work on the ES300 as well. Make sure you specify the 6 cyl. version otherwise what you get will NOT work correctly or fit.

Scott.
Old 12-27-01, 01:24 PM
VZV21
Rookie

I have gut feeling to disagree. I believe it should fit, since the Solara is basically a 2-door Camry. Same exact suspension layout, same exact parts.
Old 12-27-01, 07:31 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Wink My Information is CORRECT

Originally posted by VZV21
I have gut feeling to disagree. I believe it should fit, since the Solara is basically a 2-door Camry. Same exact suspension layout, same exact parts.
Hi VZV21,

Got it straight from the horses mouth so-to-speak. Strut towers on the Solara are in a different position (bolt patern that the bracket for the strut bar fits on to) thus a Camry V6 or ES300 strut bar will NOT fit. But if you disagree, please check with TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and they will tell ya the same thing.

Scott.
Old 12-27-01, 07:44 PM
VZV21
Rookie

Just remembered something, the Solara already comes with a strut bar
Old 01-08-02, 12:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: My Information is CORRECT

Originally posted by Captain Ratman

Hi VZV21,

Got it straight from the horses mouth so-to-speak. Strut towers on the Solara are in a different position (bolt patern that the bracket for the strut bar fits on to) thus a Camry V6 or ES300 strut bar will NOT fit. But if you disagree, please check with TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and they will tell ya the same thing.

Scott.
Actually, the TRD strut bar that is sold with the TRD S/C (Solara Version) will fit on Gen4 97-01 Camry V6 models and even the 97-01 ES300. The Solara V6, Camry V6 and ES300's chassis code is the MCV20.

The guys at TRD (i.e. Chris Quintana and the other guys at the Tustin & Costa Mesa facilities) don't exactly know EVERY single thing. Alot of us Camry/Solara guys have experimented and found many things to work which TRD said the opposite.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-08-02 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-08-02, 08:19 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Smile Learn Something New Everyday

Hey Flipside909,

I stand corrected! WOW......that's actually great news that it will fit later model ES300's! Do you have a contact name/number through TRD that I can contact to verify this information? Also, can you give me a TRD part number to where I can order from TRD's on-line website? Finally, is it expensive? The reason that I am asking this is because I only found 1 aftermarket vendor via E-Bay (Autobacs) who ripped me off by sending me either a defective strut bar or the incorrect one for my 1999 ES300. I have been looking around for another one but so far, have been unable to locate another vendor who makes it .

Your feedback will help me to buy another one since Autobacs will not refund my purchase NOR will they exchange it (as is from E-Bay)........

Thanks again Flipside909 for straightening me out!

Scott.
Old 01-08-02, 01:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You might want to try:

www.toyotaparts4u.com
www.toyotaguys.com

Good Luck!
Old 01-09-02, 01:10 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Unhappy No Luck So Far!

Originally posted by flipside909
You might want to try:

www.toyotaparts4u.com
www.toyotaguys.com

Good Luck!
Tried both of these websites and got replies that they have no such thing available for the ES300. I have an e-mail into TRD themselves to see if they have something. Short of that, I will be up-a-creek with out a paddle!! :eek:

Guess I will just keep searching until I find something.

Scott.
Old 01-09-02, 05:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

First, your mistake is to ask about the strutbar for your ES. They will tell you NO all day long. Second, you need to ask them if they sell the TRD Solara strutbar seperately from the S/C. If so, then you got it made. Don't even bother asking TRD because they will tell you the same thing. Trust me on this.
Old 01-11-02, 11:14 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Default Reply Back From TRD

Originally posted by flipside909
First, your mistake is to ask about the strutbar for your ES. They will tell you NO all day long. Second, you need to ask them if they sell the TRD Solara strutbar seperately from the S/C. If so, then you got it made. Don't even bother asking TRD because they will tell you the same thing. Trust me on this.
Today, I received a reply from the helpline e-mail for TRD. There reply was as follows:

Thank you for your interest in TRD. Unfortunately, TRD does not offer performance upgrades for the ES300 (As I already guessed ). TRD does manufacture a strut bar for the Solara, but it will NOT work for the ES300 because of the hood clearance. You might try contacting Rod Millen Motorsports at (714) 847-2158 for parts availability.

I guess my question to you Flipside909 is: Have you ever put on a Solara strut bar into the ES300 and had it fit? I do not want to spend $$$ in buying a Solara strut bar only to find that my hood cannot shut.......please let me know on this one. If you have any pics of an "actual" Solara strut bar mounted on an ES300, please send them so I can see for myself.

Guess for now, I will check with RMM to see if they have one.

Scott
Old 01-14-02, 10:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Like I said before...TRD wil l not give you straight answers. It's TRD USA you are talking to...some are knowledgeable...some aren't. Many like myself have dealt with them before...and we probably know more about our cars and their parts than they do.

Here is the TRD bar installed on my friend's 97 Camry. Same exact chassis as the 97-01 ES300. MCV20. Keep in mind that the ES300's 1MZ-FE has a different engine cover. You may want to use this photo below and make comparisons with the strut towers and etc.

BTW, TRD said the strut bar wouldn't work on Camrys because of hood clearance. Hate to say it but they are wrong. They always tell us "it wont work." Guess what though...it does work.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-14-02 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-16-04, 08:05 PM
DoWNSHiFT
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bring up the dead but I read a thread where you need to dremel out a piece of the hood for the TRD one to fit. Is there any problems with the Solara one?

last question...will the ebay camry strut bar 97-01 fit a 98 es300? I know ebay linking is not allowed so I won't bother to post a link.
Old 03-21-04, 06:16 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have one question... I brought a solara tower brace.... and after I got it I realized it won't fit....... so question is : is there a different tower brace between v6 and v4...... because I have cleance problem...about one inch too high...
Old 03-21-04, 07:27 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by George Hsieh
I also have one question... I brought a solara tower brace.... and after I got it I realized it won't fit....... so question is : is there a different tower brace between v6 and v4...... because I have cleance problem...about one inch too high...
the hood clearance on the solara is a lot higher... youll have to cut some of the support brace for the hood.. no biggy

Quick Reply: ES Strut Bar Fits Camry and Solara?