ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

$4,100 exhaust system ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 07:45 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $4,100 exhaust system ?

Just took my 98ES (w/117k miles) to Lexus asking them to check for, what sounds like slight exhaust leak.

Tech shows me system, pointing to manifold behind engiene where leak is (at flange to next piece). Connecting flanges at all system connection points are really rusted severely. He says since so much rust, system integrity will be compromised as soon as bolts are turned, and metal just falls apart. Suggests replacing entire exhaust system at a cost of $4,100. Only other thing to do is have some outsider weld/repair flanges to system he says, saying gaskets cannot work with flanges rusted thru like they are.

In addition to that, he says sqeaking sound indicates water pump/pulley near death - replacement cost = $1,100 (including timing belt at same time).

He says that while I could save some $ having Meineke-type place do exhaust system below car, he wouldn't personally allow them to do anything near engine, such as the manifold if it was HIS car. I sort of agree, but geez - putting $5,200 into this car ?? I love it, but .. that's a good percentage of the whole car's value !

I hate when this happens.
Old 07-06-07, 08:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Seems a little strange.

True, replacing the exhaust system with OEM parts is not cheap, but the price quoted seems very abnormal.

Those exhaust pieces can be welded at joints (I know what he is talking about) and they can vent hot exhaust. In addition, you can have a bad gasket or two, I have had them and not that hard to replace with some welding.

Are you able to take a photo of the area in question, I might be able to give you some more advice on this issue?

Was it anything like one of these points below?
Attached Thumbnails ,100 exhaust system ?-img_0684.jpg  
Old 07-06-07, 09:01 PM
kramer5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres my train of thought (someone please correct me if I am way off base, I have only owned my ES300 for a month)

For 4 grand... I wouldn't let him touch it, unless it is time to get it smogged, and replacement is needed in order for it to pass. I have an older Accord, with pretty severe rust, past the cat converter. I just kept using it, it passed smog no problems. The car has 195k miles, I just gave it to my dad 2 weeks ago so he can use it as his daily driver and it easily passed its latest smog certs.... with the rusted out exhaust.

I for one wouldn't pour that much $$$ into an OEM exhaust, when aftermarket systems will give you better performance, some for less $$$. Not all performance exhaust systems sound like fart too, some are comfortably quiet ("confortably" being a very subjective term).

I don't know about Meineke, but there are plenty of after market tuner shops that to very good work, at least in my area.

I have an old family mechanic that I have been going to for decades, whenever the repair/troubleshooting is too much for my meager skills. Personally I trust him more than any dealership mechanic.
Old 07-07-07, 12:24 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Are you able to take a photo of the area in question, I might be able to give you some more advice on this issue?

Was it anything like one of these points below?
This is the only pic I can get while in the driveway (can't get access between firewall & engine). I suppose all flanges are similar :
Attached Thumbnails ,100 exhaust system ?-exhaust1.jpg  
Old 07-07-07, 12:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That's pretty nasty.

You may have seen page 3 of my car domain page, and I have done a lot of custom exhaust work, so this will give you some ideas on replacing these pieces. They won't affect smog either.

In your case, these flanges, could be cut off on both sides and replaced by regular pipe (should be somewhere about 1.75 to 2.25 inches or so in diameter). I know the exhaust shop I do work with down here could do it cheaply and quickly, thus it is not rocket science nor does it cost a fortune. Then you wouldn't need to worry about gaskets either.
Old 07-07-07, 01:11 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's pretty nasty.

You may have seen page 3 of my car domain page, and I have done a lot of custom exhaust work, so this will give you some ideas on replacing these pieces.
Yeah, that's some pretty nice work you did there. I see what you mean. Now I just have to find a place that can do stuff like that here. Most places here just do standard, easy stuff. I'll check around and hopefully find a place that can do it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-07, 01:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You might want to try to get an exhaust off a salvage ES that isn't in as bad shape if you don't want to go the custom route. Contact member 'Aliga' who has salvage connections and is in your neck of the woods.
Old 07-07-07, 03:48 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, try to get an exhaust off another vehicle. because what they quoted you was outrageous. i mean, the car is probably only worth that much as they quoted you just for the exhaust system.
Goodluck
Charley
Old 07-07-07, 07:55 PM
dallison
Intermediate

i would get a 2nd opinion on what needs to be replaced.
personally i have replaced any exhaust parts with bosal. they fit great and are pretty reasonable on price.

you can peice together a system on www.******************.com, get free shipping and lifetime warranty on pipes and muffler.

i would recommend that route.

replacing this stuff is pretty easy, if you have the tools
Old 07-10-07, 12:05 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Default Fixed !

Took the car to a local trans shop who said leak problem was limited to flex pipe. Since flex pipe was part of a larger assembly, they cut out and replaced (by welding) flex pipe w/new.

Cost = $300 (plus New jersey's stupid 7% sales tax).

$321 being much better than Lexus' $4,100.

That's the good news. The bad news is that my water pump is starting to squeak and leak. Lexus wants $1100 for pump & timing belt, this guy wants $498. Money, money, money, .......

Rear seal will probably be after that.
Attached Thumbnails ,100 exhaust system ?-dsc02161.jpg  
Old 07-10-07, 09:30 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Just another fine example of a Lexus stealership promoting the "Lexus Ownership Experience" brought to us by their dealer and service network.

Preposterous!

PLEASE print out your thread and send copies of it in the mail to the dealership owner and service manager; perhaps to the district service manager as well if you have his/her contact information.
Old 07-11-07, 07:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

$1100 is above average. I had mine done at a Lexus dealer several years ago for about $900, but would do it on my own next time.
Old 07-11-07, 09:28 AM
Specter
Driver

Man this whole thing makes you think.... You kind of expect a certain amount of respect from a Lexus dealer. I guess just because they are Lexus it does not mean that they can be dishonest. Looks like somebody needed to amke a payment on his boat. Specter
Old 07-11-07, 11:43 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Specter
Man this whole thing makes you think.... You kind of expect a certain amount of respect from a Lexus dealer. I guess just because they are Lexus it does not mean that they can be dishonest. Looks like somebody needed to amke a payment on his boat. Specter
Yeah, I'd like to use Lexus service if they were only competitive. You'd think that most, if not all, Lexus Service departments would be the same or close in price. This place here in Jersey is not even in the ballpark. Obviously they don't want to get into welding, cutting, etc - they just want to unbolt and bolt on new. Theoretically, the place that does cutting & welding should be the one charging the higher prices, as they're actually providing "services", not just new parts. That would be a new concept at a Lexus Service Dept, huh ? - "service" at the Service Dept. Imagine.

Anyhow, here's the estimates from the bill at Lexus :
Attached Thumbnails ,100 exhaust system ?-lexusbill.jpg  
Old 07-16-07, 06:29 PM
dallison
Intermediate

are you from bayonne?

i just called to get an estimate for water pump/timing belt here in harrisburg. total with tax, $633

Quick Reply: $4,100 exhaust system ?