ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Undecided with which coilovers to choose!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 01:07 PM
SheehanMat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided with which coilovers to choose!!

Can someone please help me?

I've searched and searched and I cannot come up with an answer.

I'm tired of my stock ride height, and I need to get some coilovers.

I'm undecided it's either Ksport, JIC, or Tein. The car is a 97 es300. The Ksport comes with the pillowball mount, but the JIC and Tein does not. I heard bad things about the Ksport so I don't think I want to go with them. If I choose JIC or Tein where can I purchase the Upper Mount? What about the rubber bushing thingy?
Old 07-22-07, 03:58 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I've heard good and bad things about JIC, Tein, and Ksport. I just ordered my Ksport last week and they should be in Monday I cant wait. I'm liking the Ksport cuz of the 36 way dampering adjustment, adjustable camber, and the pillowball mount. With everything I heard about the different coilovers I figured I'd take a chance and they have a warranty in case something goes wrong.

-Smitty
Old 07-22-07, 06:44 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SheehanMat
Can someone please help me?

I've searched and searched and I cannot come up with an answer.

I'm tired of my stock ride height, and I need to get some coilovers.

I'm undecided it's either Ksport, JIC, or Tein. The car is a 97 es300. The Ksport comes with the pillowball mount, but the JIC and Tein does not. I heard bad things about the Ksport so I don't think I want to go with them. If I choose JIC or Tein where can I purchase the Upper Mount? What about the rubber bushing thingy?
I've had both JIC and Ksport on my 2000 ES300. JIC and Ksport have pillowball mounts for front and rear. They both have front camber plates as well. The tein ss do not have pillowball mounts - you have to use your stock ones. Ksports aren't bad for the money but for an extra 200, you can pick up a set of JIC coils from a vendor on here. One thing I did not like about Ksport is that it rides super stiff no matter what setting the damper is at. Even the JIC coils I have ride softer than the Ksports. I'm actually thinking of selling my JIC coilovers so let me know if you're interested or have any other questions.

Last edited by PlatES300; 07-22-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-22-07, 10:38 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatES300
I've had both JIC and Ksport on my 2000 ES300. JIC and Ksport have pillowball mounts for front and rear. They both have front camber plates as well. The tein ss do not have pillowball mounts - you have to use your stock ones. Ksports aren't bad for the money but for an extra 200, you can pick up a set of JIC coils from a vendor on here. One thing I did not like about Ksport is that it rides super stiff no matter what setting the damper is at. Even the JIC coils I have ride softer than the Ksports. I'm actually thinking of selling my JIC coilovers so let me know if you're interested or have any other questions.
yeap super stiff it is. both mine(97 es) and brothers(93 es) are stiff. but i like it personally, most probably dont.
Charley
Old 07-23-07, 04:53 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Charley I'll have my Ksports on this week. How much if any negative camber are u running in the rear and how does it ride? I was thinking of just having a little negative camber to get the look I want

-Smitty
Old 07-23-07, 09:33 PM
SheehanMat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'm new to this forum, but Im already enjoying my stay. I think I'm leaning towards the Ksports. Like Smitty said, if anything goes wrong I'll feel safe with the warranty. Isn't it 1 year? Also, Smitty how much is your Lexus dropped at the moment? I love the way it looks, I'm going for the same drop. Did you have to modify the fenders, or anything of that sort? I cannot wait to drop this sucker, I'm sick of riding in a 4x4.

Charley, In regards to your Auto-Couture kit. That thing is sick! Was it a pain in the *** to install?
Old 07-24-07, 07:45 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SheehanMat
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'm new to this forum, but Im already enjoying my stay. I think I'm leaning towards the Ksports. Like Smitty said, if anything goes wrong I'll feel safe with the warranty. Isn't it 1 year? Also, Smitty how much is your Lexus dropped at the moment? I love the way it looks, I'm going for the same drop. Did you have to modify the fenders, or anything of that sort? I cannot wait to drop this sucker, I'm sick of riding in a 4x4.

Charley, In regards to your Auto-Couture kit. That thing is sick! Was it a pain in the *** to install?
At the moment I'm running KYB Sturts and Tanabe DF210 springs. I believe its a 1.8 F and 1.0 R. Rides pretty good but coilovers are going to help my stance more I did have to get my rear fenders rolled some due to the wheels I'm running.
Charleys Auto-Couture kit is so sick. I'm kind of Jealous I want my ES to look as clean as his one day.

-Smitty
Old 07-24-07, 10:27 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

BTW if you're looking for Ksport coilovers I know of where you can order them and they have them in stock. All the other places I called was going to take a week or two to get them and then ship them out. I ordered mine on Friday and got them today. I'm going to talk to Dave about possibly doing a group buy if anyone is interested.

-Smitty
Old 07-26-07, 08:05 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288115
Old 07-26-07, 08:12 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

I'm doing my install for my Ksports this weekend (Hopefully) but I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and post it up. I'll also let you know how it rides. I'm not going super low but lower than what i have now. I need the front to come down some more and stiffen up the rears. Teaser pics hehe:

-Smitty
Old 07-26-07, 08:48 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty could you do me a favor before you put them on and measure the width of the coilovers on the actual strut and tell me how much wider or narrower it is than the oem. I want to drop my es when i fix her but since I have 9.5" rims in the rear i'm so close to rubbing its insane and I would like to find a coilover with a slightly narrower strut.
Old 07-26-07, 09:48 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Choas
Smitty could you do me a favor before you put them on and measure the width of the coilovers on the actual strut and tell me how much wider or narrower it is than the oem. I want to drop my es when i fix her but since I have 9.5" rims in the rear i'm so close to rubbing its insane and I would like to find a coilover with a slightly narrower strut.
no problem will do and let u know.

-Smitty
Old 07-26-07, 09:52 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks you truly are the king of kings
Old 07-26-07, 10:48 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

k, my bad smitty. our cars do not camber much, if any. im maxxed out negative. you can see it, but its not much.
tip of advice, make sure you line up your coilovers good from the get go. because when you try to install the swaybar endlinks, they become a PITA. theyll either unwind themselves, or unwind the coilover(changing the height), or snap the swapbar endlinks. having the coilovers at uneven heights or having the swaybar endlinks at different heights puts a lot of tension on the opposing swaybar endlink, thus changing or damaging so many other parts.
goodluck
Charley
Old 07-26-07, 10:52 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

chaos, the thickness of the threaded part of the coilover is about 2". whereas the stock struts are about 1.25". more than likely, you will not be able to fit 9.5" in the rear without major suspension modifying. im actually in this process right now with my brothers vcv10/ksports. it can be done, but not easily.
goodluck
Charley

Quick Reply: Undecided with which coilovers to choose!!