ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

navigation system -vs- car pc navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 03:08 PM
mrgotit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default navigation system -vs- car pc navigation

which one would u go for ?
Old 07-24-07, 03:40 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the CarPC navigation better. I had a pioneer HU before with navigation before I switched to carPC and it was ok. I didnt like the fact I had to use the navigation DVD and I couldnt find updated maps. But with my CarPC all my maps seem to be up to date and everything is saved on my Hard Drive so no need to deal with the navi DVD. But just my 2 cents.

-Smitty
Old 07-24-07, 04:30 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

CarPC but they are not in the same leages in either effort, or price. So it's really apples & oranges.
Old 07-24-07, 06:09 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like simple, go for the double DIN all in ones like the AVIC-D3. Otherwise, start researching carputers. There's quite a bit to consider when you're building one.

I'm saving up to build a carputer because I'm picky about things and nothing is ever good enough commercially standard.
Old 07-24-07, 06:30 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 13loody
If you like simple, go for the double DIN all in ones like the AVIC-D3. Otherwise, start researching carputers. There's quite a bit to consider when you're building one.

I'm saving up to build a carputer because I'm picky about things and nothing is ever good enough commercially standard.
Well after having a pioneer HU and then going CarPC I would have definitely went with the CarPC first and not wasted my money on the HU. The CarPC gives me more options and is more versatile. Not to mention I built my CarPC for almost half of what I paid for a AVIC unit. Good Luck with ur build and if you have any questions let me know.

-Smitty
Old 07-24-07, 10:21 PM
mrgotit
Driver School Candidate

i think it would be best for me to go with the car pc unit . u have more options with it from what i can see . my question is . do i have to have one built , or are there any already built car pc that i could get ?
Old 07-25-07, 09:15 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mrgotit
i think it would be best for me to go with the car pc unit . u have more options with it from what i can see . my question is . do i have to have one built , or are there any already built car pc that i could get ?
Just as with home PCs, you can buy a mass-manufactured one that needs only to be plugged-in, or you can build it from scratch, specifying each component included therein.

Here's a thread from a site that I found most helpful. Hopefully you'll find this information and site helpful too. I'm still educating myself in this area and I'm studying at that site regularly.

One of the biggest questions I'm trying to answer right now is - how do you get FM/AM radio reliably? Most folks I've read about are going with CD and MP3 audio and forsaking broadcast radio because there aren't that many solutions. But I'm still learning...
Old 07-25-07, 04:20 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

if you don't know how a computer works and not good with computers in general. I would go with a indash dvd navigation system. They're designed from the start for ease of use. But you're limited to only cds, navigation, and dvd videos.

With a carpc, the possibilities of what you can do is endless. You can have all your mp3 songs on the hard drive, play any videos you download, navigation, go online, read/write documents, etc. Basically, whatever you can do on your home pc, you can do it in your carpc. Drawback is it takes a fairly advance user to install and operate.

If i was to do it all over again, i would definitely go the CARPC route.

but if it was for my parents, then i would get a indash pioneer system.
Old 07-25-07, 06:45 PM
mrgotit
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

oh thanks slooooooow im also checking out that site for information

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Just as with home PCs, you can buy a mass-manufactured one that needs only to be plugged-in, or you can build it from scratch, specifying each component included therein.

Here's a thread from a site that I found most helpful. Hopefully you'll find this information and site helpful too. I'm still educating myself in this area and I'm studying at that site regularly.

One of the biggest questions I'm trying to answer right now is - how do you get FM/AM radio reliably? Most folks I've read about are going with CD and MP3 audio and forsaking broadcast radio because there aren't that many solutions. But I'm still learning...
Old 07-26-07, 01:39 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

i would definitely agree with wut every seems to be saying..carpc! im actually also in the process of building one myself..i just love the fact that the possibilities to wut u can do are endless compared to one which is limited by wut they want u to do..this is definitely going to be a big project for me, but will be well worth it in the end