ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 04:00 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Thanks to McElligott, I've located and ordered a couple of exhaust tip silencers from a place online. The exhaust system, as-is, is so pretty that I didn't want to ugly it up just to quiet it down some, but McElligott found some really attractive silencers. I'll let you know how they work.

Here's the cost breakdown for my new exhaust system project:
  1. Magnaflow Muffler 14278 Polished Stainless (Single / Dual, 3" Inlet/ Dual 2.25" Outlet, 18" Body Length, 24" Overall Length. )- $200
  2. Exhaust Pipe: Custom 2.5" - $60
  3. Intermediate Pipe: Custom Y-pipe with Flex Union 2.25" - $150
  4. Axle Pipe: Custom 2.5" - $60
  5. Resonator - $55
  6. Flex Union - $125
  7. Magnaflow Spun Body Metallic Catalytic Converters - $220
  8. Silverline Stainless Steel Tips 3.5" - $150
  9. Exhaust Labor - $230
Total Cost: $1250

Not too bad considering the quality components, the customized system, the craftsmanship and the included warranties, in my opinion.
I can't say enough about the place at which I had everything fabricated and installed. My ES felt a little, um, shall we say "frugal" compared to the machines sitting in the next bays. Apparently if you have a show car and/or need something custom done, Kinneys is the place.
I also can't wait to take my Legacy GT and my Regency van there to see what they can do with those.

I will get you some video footage of the system for sure! I may enlist Kinneys to help out. If you've browsed to their website by now, you can tell they know how to video an exhaust system. This system has such a low tone though, I don't know how you'd hear it right without quite the subwoofer. One way or the other though, I'll get it done for ya.

I'll get some pics and video for you. I've got to find a place where a guy can dyno a FWD (a.k.a. "WWD") car. It'd be worth it to get a run or three down and see what she comes up with.
Man you're a real asset to the ES community. Those pictures and details you provided is going to help alot of ES members when they decide to do their exhaust.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. We should STICKY this thread!

I hope the silencer thing works out for you! Please report back your findings!

BTW, I'm very interested in how you're gonna mod your LGT cuz i'm seriously considering it as my next car.
Old 10-16-07, 04:40 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Omg, you are the man Slooooooow!

As soon as I find the leprechaun's pot of gold, this is my next mod for sure! Youtube video FTW!
Old 12-17-07, 07:41 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Here an update - two months after the installation:
  • Pro - I'm still glad that I spent the cash to have this upgrade/overhaul performed
  • Pro - I do still notice the increased pep due to the more freely breathing system, although, as with any minor upgrade you do desensitize and notice it less and less (until you go to pass someone or enter a freeway and there's more up-and-go and glorious sounds)
  • Con - Despite having a 2nd resonator installed, there's still too much noise at around 2k RPMs. I'm currently blaming the Magnaflow muffler.
On the Legacy GT board (my other car site addiction), where exhaust upgrades run rampant, I've noticed others tiring of a loud, attention-attracting exhaust in threads like this and this.

That 2nd link is actually titled "
Finally....I've found an exhaust I'm truly happy with" and the guy has installed several exhaust components on his LGT and finally arrived at a system he can live with. He has all new, upgraded components right up to the mufflers, which he's replacing with stock mufflers. Mufflers aren't truly that restrictive in many applications, so you allow the system to breathe more freely, through an upgraded engine-back or header-back system, and let it blow through a stock "can" to keep the sounds muted a bit. More performance - less drone/annoyance.

Yes, I realize I still owe you bros an exhaust clip video. I'll try and get that done during my week off for Christmas, prior to the installation of a quieter muffler.

In the next weeks I'm going to acquire an OEM muffler and head back over to the shop to have them check the system for any leaks (precautionary, as I'm OCD and ****-retentive) and to install the OEM muffler.

That being said, does anyone have any good, inexpensive recommendations for a source for an OEM/Toyota/Lexus muffler?
Old 12-17-07, 09:07 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

www.1sttoyotaparts.com
Old 12-17-07, 09:56 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
Wow. Doesn't look too bad:
Mechanical Catalog - Toyota Muffler, camry, 6 cylinder, sedan
MSRP Price
$142.83
Your Price
$102.84

Any other recommendations? (Yeah I love deal shopping)
Old 01-06-08, 07:42 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Wow. Doesn't look too bad:
Mechanical Catalog - Toyota Muffler, camry, 6 cylinder, sedan
MSRP Price
$142.83
Your Price
$102.84

Any other recommendations? (Yeah I love deal shopping)
you can try newlexusparts.com

I placed numerous orders from there before and had no problems whatsoever.

rockauto.com is another good source but it's mostly for non-oem parts

BTW, are you selling your magnaflow muffler?
Old 01-06-08, 08:53 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by maniax
you can try newlexusparts.com

I placed numerous orders from there before and had no problems whatsoever.
Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like they don't have anything listed for Mufflers for a 2nd gen though. Darn.
rockauto.com is another good source but it's mostly for non-oem parts
Now they did have a few items listed for the 2nd gen. Check out the attached picture. Looks like it's mostly Bosal, which I've heard folks mention on here before.
BTW, are you selling your magnaflow muffler?
As soon as I get the other one put on, I sure will. Unless the store offers some kind of exchange credit. They can check the mileage; I've run only about 1.5-2 tanks of gas through this muffler. (Since the rack and pinion went down, it's been sittin' in the garage - so - no driving on it.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300-picture-1.png  
Old 02-27-08, 09:08 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Pictures restored. Sorry about that.
New video of current setup forthcoming - hopefully this weekend.

I'm a bit wary of anything else aftermarket, so there's a new '92 Camry/ES300 OEM muffler on the way to be installed to quiet her down a bit. A bit of a shame to replace such a pretty, shiny piece like the Magnaflow with a non-reflective bit like the OEM, but ...I need some quiet.
Old 02-27-08, 10:39 AM
lexified14
Driver School Candidate

very nice informative post. I am planning in the future to upgrade my exhaust, mostly for looks and sound no performance. keep it up!
Old 05-30-08, 10:13 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youtube of the stock, then louder, then quieter of the performance exhausts?
Old 07-10-08, 05:00 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

MANIAX what ever happened to the video and did you get that OEM muffler installed? Did it quiet the exhaust if any?
Old 09-29-08, 12:38 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

sorry, but im bringingis post back from the dead!!!!

anyways, slooooooooow, i was wondering how did u do the custom y pipe, and i was wondering how do i got about attaining one since my y pipe has a crack in it. so instead of getting an oem one that breaks off some exhaust circulation, i want to be able to attain your y pipe set up.

if not, i might just goto a local muffler shop and have them customize one for me.
Old 09-29-08, 04:48 AM
heorung
Driver

Damn Slowww ... you can't just sit still and enhjoy your ride .. more mods ...... what next bro .. a supercharger mabe ?... Sweet looking system u got there bro.

How's ur ears..... I got 2 1/2 from Cat back and a Xforce muffler and it killin me ... at low rew she screams.... i love the low rumble and especially when u 1st start up .. everyone at the petrol station turn and look.

I want to go the whole hog like u .. but compare the performance gain Vs noice level makes me hesitant.

Your detail write up / cost / pix are really good to help new comers with an itchy finger for mods.. dont stop ok ... Peace out.
Old 03-20-09, 06:08 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-09, 08:16 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

wow old thread, but that is a great looking system!

Quick Reply: Exhaust(ing?) Renovation - '92 ES300