ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Worth a try for $1500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 06:39 AM
w8lifter21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth a try for $1500?

Being sold by an employee of a performance shop:
"Had this for a few months. Before I had it my roommate Had it. I have another car so it has to go

$1500 obo?

93 Lexus ES300
Dark Green/grey w/Tan Leather (good shape no rips/tears)
Heated Seats
Mechanically Sound (no leaks)
Has about 160k miles
Fully loaded
Sunroof
Newer Brakes
Tires Are decent
Check Engine Light and trans light are on but according to roommate have been on forever and hasnt effected car.

The car runs good, drives good.. It's a good point A-B car can be more if cleaned up on inside a lil.."

Any "major" problems lurking around a corner with an ES with this kind of mileage? What I mean by major is...transmisson giving out, new headgasket, etc. I have done some reading and I haven't seen anything so far other than little things like peeling paint, fogy headlights, burnt out dash lights, etc. What is the ES vs Camery parts cost like?(Are alot of parts shared between the two?) My dad and I are pretty handy with a wrench, so most of the work will be done in our driveway. As I look at other '92-'96 ES ads, the mileage seems about average if not way higher. Majority of the ones I see have 190-200k+ miles on them. Any additional info would be appreciated!
Old 08-06-07, 07:31 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by w8lifter21
Being sold by an employee of a performance shop:
"Had this for a few months. Before I had it my roommate Had it. I have another car so it has to go

$1500 obo?

93 Lexus ES300
Dark Green/grey w/Tan Leather (good shape no rips/tears)
Heated Seats
Mechanically Sound (no leaks)
Has about 160k miles
Fully loaded
Sunroof
Newer Brakes
Tires Are decent
Check Engine Light and trans light are on but according to roommate have been on forever and hasnt effected car.

The car runs good, drives good.. It's a good point A-B car can be more if cleaned up on inside a lil.."

Any "major" problems lurking around a corner with an ES with this kind of mileage? What I mean by major is...transmisson giving out, new headgasket, etc. I have done some reading and I haven't seen anything so far other than little things like peeling paint, fogy headlights, burnt out dash lights, etc. What is the ES vs Camery parts cost like?(Are alot of parts shared between the two?) My dad and I are pretty handy with a wrench, so most of the work will be done in our driveway. As I look at other '92-'96 ES ads, the mileage seems about average if not way higher. Majority of the ones I see have 190-200k+ miles on them. Any additional info would be appreciated!
What would scare me away is:

Check engine light and trans light are on but according to roommate have been on forever and hasn't effected car.

This could mean there is a minor problem or it could also mean there is a serious (read: expensive) problem with the car. Also, the fact that the lights "have been on forever" definitely indicates that the owner/s weren't at all concerned about proper maintenance.....not good.

As for ES / Camry (V6) parts compatibilty: most of the mechanical parts are the same.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-07, 07:43 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by w8lifter21
I'd take the car to AutoZone or somewhere that can put a device in to read the code. You can post the code here and hopefully someone knows what it is. Then that way you can at least get an idea of what the issue is\or how expensive it is to fix.

My $.02

Ken
Old 08-06-07, 09:05 AM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually on the 93 you jump the conectors at the diagnostic plug and it runs its own codes
Old 08-06-07, 03:35 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

yup. check the code, see what's up.

The O/D light probably says a shift solenoid is out.
Old 08-06-07, 05:58 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drop in a JDM 3VZ-FE.. everyone's doing it...

I'm in agreement with Lexucan in that the previous owners probably didn't care for the car very well if it's throwing a CEL and transmission light for a long period of time. It's not that hard for them to at least figure out what the problem is, and if they did and haven't disclosed it to you, it's an indication that the fix is most likely an expensive one. I personally think you can get him/her to knock off a few more hundred for the repairs that it will need.