ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES250 suspension job- w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 04:46 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES250 suspension job- w/pics- DONE!!!

the es250 needs some major suspension work... struts, springs, mounts, all that stuff. still waiting on the struts but everything else is here.

struts are gabriel guardians, got em on ebay for $70 (all 4). everything else is toyota OEM. pics as the job goes, hoping we get the struts in time before DH goes to another training class next week.

Last edited by powerwave; 08-25-07 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 12:06 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

still waiting on those damn struts... it'll have to wait until this coming saturday.
Old 08-14-07, 08:17 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

AHA! well that took long enough. it's all going in on saturday. will be nice to get the suspension issues out of the way, it's really bad.

Old 08-15-07, 07:59 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

well, things are going to have to wait. he hasn't been cleared by his doctor to go back to work yet.
Old 08-18-07, 08:57 AM
powerwave
Lead Lap

ok, now we're on hold until further notice... his boss says he hasn't decided whether or not he would give him his job back after the medical leave. and that being the case, we may have to sue for breach of FMLA law.

[smack hand against forehead]
Old 08-18-07, 10:01 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's horrible news. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.
I'm certain you good people will come out on top!

Old 08-18-07, 10:58 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That suxs yea I would be calling a lawyer soon if he doesn't get his job back too.
Old 08-18-07, 11:46 AM
powerwave
Lead Lap

thanks folks, i know a lawyer through the prius forums that practices in our state and went to the same university i'm at right now. he has been really nice, and is asking around through the state bar for someone who practices in FMLA law in our area. we'll find out more about the job and the lawyer on monday.

i'm really pissed because here we have $800 worth of suspension parts collecting dust, a $3000 hospital bill, unpaid time off work, and all of a sudden his income may be gone.

wish us luck! so much for a topic about suspension (for now)!
Old 08-20-07, 08:03 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

well, occupational crisis averted. for now....

at any rate, he got to assembling everything tonight. and 2 out of 4 ain't, er, good. that is, 2 of em are bad. i suppose what can you expect for 4 struts for $70... so here are the two assembled ones (as you see, one front and one rear) and i've contacted the ebay seller re: exchanging the bad ones. looks like the fates conspire against us or something!

Old 08-21-07, 06:20 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

called up the seller today, he said he would send new ones and personally check them before they shipped. just for the record, this company goes by the ebay alias "stocklifts" and has been just great. 4 gabriel guardian struts for $70 shipped, nice folks.

hopefully they get here soon and hubs can assemble them saturday night and maybe do the rest of the install. since he's gotta disconnect a brake line i think the brakes are finally getting flushed at the same time. it needs it.
Old 08-25-07, 11:04 AM
powerwave
Lead Lap

struts got here last night, he got everything assembled early this morning. today is his day off, but since it's a business day over at the shop (despite it being slow as hell) i'm not able to hang out and take pictures like i usually do.

when i stopped by to bring him a few things, he had the front struts done and was just finishing up the trans pan gasket. the underside of that engine compartment is 100% clean , no leaks! he is the gasket master and damn proud of it.

trans pan looked good for a trans with about 150k on it... a few small shavings and the fluid wasn't perfect when it drained out. but again, not bad for a trans at 150k. not bad at all.

we didn't get to the bad rack in the huge rush to get the engine/trans swap done before we left on vacation. so that's going in today, too, after the rear struts and a quick test drive. the inner tie rods are totally screwed, so once the rack is done it'll fix that issue. the new(ish) tires on it have some pretty nasty edge wear because of those bad inners.

got a new RH headlight assy to replace the broken one, it pointed very low. the front bumper's gotta come off for that job, but hopefully he'll be able to do that today too.
Old 08-25-07, 07:53 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

headlight out- turns out the bumper didn't have to come off. i forgot to take an "after" picture. but the new one is straight.
note the a/c leak fortunately we've got the condenser and lines from the camry that'll just go right on in.

new front struts and springs and all that. the right side is black, the left side is blue (the ones pictured earlier in the thread.)

rears

the old stuff- originals with the car. so almost 170k miles is just a little too long to leave them in...

new rack, another pretty blue

old rack... ick! and if you're curious what that thing is up on the top right, it's an inverter from a highlander hybrid. DH is the hybrid guy.

i'm not sure if one can tell, but it rides higher now.

versus before...

it also got that brake flush and of course an alignment. he's gonna go back and re-align it later, the caster isn't where he'd like it. but the toe and camber are great now.

after installing the struts and springs and etc, he took it for a test drive. and he said it was so beautiful he almost cried. i get to drive it here in a few minutes. i'm excited

more after pics to follow, it's getting a good hand wash tomorrow. it needs it!
Old 08-25-07, 09:01 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

What a masterpiece!
Old 08-25-07, 10:44 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

thank you! we're positively thrilled with the outcome

there are some little things left but nothing this integral to the function of the car, nothing this labor intensive, and nothing that can't wait until we've recovered a bit!
Old 08-26-07, 10:02 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

today ended up being a much needed day of rest. the car will be washed sometime in the near future. i'll post pics after that.

Quick Reply: ES250 suspension job- w/pics