ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 10:04 PM
TS1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

I've been looking around a lot.......and narrowed it down to 3 choices..

1)Injen air intake sys..

2)Rod millen intake sys..

3)Weapon R intake sys...

Which is the best.....and why......and also....is it safe to put these on the lexus engine at all?

I've read and asked around.....and nobody has give me a solid answer to whether or not the intake should work SAFELY on the lexus just because it is designed to work on the V6 camry.

any help would be appreciated...
Old 01-07-02, 11:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

It will work fine because your car is a Toyota...and most importantly...is a Camry. Mechanically it has the identical engine, identical chassis code/chassis, tranny and etc.

The RMM and Injen are fine. It's all a matter of preference. I would discourage the Weapon R intake system because it uses a foam media which doesn't filter as well as the K&N cones found on the Injen or the RMM.

If you want to go a step beyond, get an EL Prototypes Cold Air Intake. www.elprototypes.com. The ELP intake is custom mandrel bent and uses a K&N filter. If you have any questions, e-mail me or post your questions on our temporary forum (our vbulletin is down until we move it to a more capable server).
Old 01-29-02, 01:56 AM
ridenalexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Intake for 98 ES300

I too have a 98 ES300, I found someone at TRD Racing who gave me some pretty good info. As far as intakes go...I would bend towards Stillen but I'm no expert. Pretty much any intake for a Camry will work in this car, however although every one says that these cars are identical to Camry's...that's not entirely true. The engine for example uses a totally different engine computer. There are parts in the engine not available in the Camry...which is why the Camry V6 only outputs 194 bhp while the ES is 200 bhp ! I did research on a TRD Super Charger but they haven't tested it on a ES. They said it would require a computer swap, which they did not recommend, and possible clearance issues under the hood. Stillen is currently contemplating mods for the 97-99 ES however no firm committment has been made yet.
Old 01-29-02, 02:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Intake for 98 ES300

Originally posted by ridenalexus
The engine for example uses a totally different engine computer. There are parts in the engine not available in the Camry...which is why the Camry V6 only outputs 194 bhp while the ES is 200 bhp ! I did research on a TRD Super Charger but they haven't tested it on a ES. They said it would require a computer swap, which they did not recommend, and possible clearance issues under the hood. Stillen is currently contemplating mods for the 97-99 ES however no firm committment has been made yet.
Ok to clarify things...

1) The 97-98 ES300 non VVT-i only has more HP due to the exhaust and it's dual stage setup. The Camry has 194 compared to the ES's 200 for 97-98. The 99 and up Solara V6 has 200HP also. The only difference is the exhaust! Nothing else! 99 and up 1MZ-FE ES300s utilized VVT-i and a dual throttle body setup. The TRD S/C will not work with those. TRD doesn't know EVERYTHING. Most of the techs at the TRD Costa Mesa and Tustin facilities just know general knowlege. They said it wasnt possible to put the S/C on an older 1MZ-FE from 94-96. They also gave us the excuse of hood clearance, s/c clearance, ECU differences...yada yada yada...but guess what...that's BS! Here's proof because it works here on a 95 Camry V6 = http://gibsonfamily.dhs.org:81/camry/95se/010617

I wouldn't totally take TRD's advice. They just don't want liablity issues. They mean well...but the corporate guys that run TRD USA are blind to the performance of Toyotas. TRD Japan on the other hand is a different story.

Do you research first before you start claiming things.

Good Luck!
Old 04-07-03, 10:18 PM
Manvabud
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

Where can the Rod Millen and Injen intakes be purchased online or in Canada? Does the Rod Millen require any drilling? Which is less expensive.

Thanks for your help. I am a newbie.

Originally posted by TS1
I've been looking around a lot.......and narrowed it down to 3 choices..

1)Injen air intake sys..

2)Rod millen intake sys..

3)Weapon R intake sys...

Which is the best.....and why......and also....is it safe to put these on the lexus engine at all?

I've read and asked around.....and nobody has give me a solid answer to whether or not the intake should work SAFELY on the lexus just because it is designed to work on the V6 camry.

any help would be appreciated...
Old 04-08-03, 12:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Re: Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

Originally posted by Manvabud
Where can the Rod Millen and Injen intakes be purchased online or in Canada? Does the Rod Millen require any drilling? Which is less expensive.

Thanks for your help. I am a newbie.
The RMM Sport Intake has been discontined a few years ago already. You're best bet is to get an Injen. But please do note that Injen intakes are known to cause your engine's fuel mixture to run rich. This is definitely not a good thing when it comes time for emissions testing (if it applies in your part of the country).
Old 04-09-03, 07:38 AM
Manvabud
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

Originally posted by flipside909
The RMM Sport Intake has been discontined a few years ago already. You're best bet is to get an Injen. But please do note that Injen intakes are known to cause your engine's fuel mixture to run rich. This is definitely not a good thing when it comes time for emissions testing (if it applies in your part of the country).
Awesome! Thanks for your help! Generally where is the best place to buy the injen? What are the known hp and tq gains with just the intake and no other mods?
Old 04-10-03, 11:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Recommendation For My 1998 Es300

Originally posted by Manvabud
Awesome! Thanks for your help! Generally where is the best place to buy the injen? What are the known hp and tq gains with just the intake and no other mods?
Realistically you are only gonna get 3 to 5 hp gain to the crank with an intake...even less to the wheels alone. Try www.toyotaworld.com for Injen intakes and pricing.