ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Seat Belts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07 | 08:29 PM
Bombsquad
Driver

Default Seat Belts?

Both my drivers and passenger front seat belts are slow to retract. It seems like they are dragging too much at the loop on the B pillar. Anyone encounter similar problems? Possible fix?

Cheers

Luke
Old 09-17-07 | 08:29 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Grease up the rollers?
Old 09-17-07 | 08:32 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

^If that don't work go to the boneyard and pull a good one of a Camry.
Old 09-17-07 | 10:32 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Wipe down your belts with a cloth wet with soapy water. You want to clean them up a bit. Also, if you can, clean the bar that the belt loops over on the pillar. You can try isopropyl alcohol on the bar with a q-tip. Over time, it gets dirty and tends to get clingy.
Old 09-18-07 | 04:38 AM
Bombsquad
Driver

Originally Posted by LXMN
Wipe down your belts with a cloth wet with soapy water. You want to clean them up a bit. Also, if you can, clean the bar that the belt loops over on the pillar. You can try isopropyl alcohol on the bar with a q-tip. Over time, it gets dirty and tends to get clingy.
I thinks thats whats happening, I'll give it a go. Thanks..
Old 09-18-07 | 03:11 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

There was a TSB on this issue, which I had performed on my 98 Es some years ago. The problem is dirt/grime buildup in the plastic loop on the B pillar that slows the belt down when it's retracting.

The TSB involved cleaning the black grime out of that loop that the belt passes through, and then applying Teflon self-stick pads on that loop where the belt touches it. It worked for a few years after it was done, but the belts have once again slowed down. I suppose even the Teflon pads collect the same dirt & grime after some time.

The bottom line is that you have to clean those pillar loops well, and the belts will slide better. It should be noted, though, that any lubricant applied there will end up on your clothes, that's why Lexus applied Teflon there.
Old 09-19-07 | 03:14 AM
Bombsquad
Driver

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
There was a TSB on this issue, which I had performed on my 98 Es some years ago. The problem is dirt/grime buildup in the plastic loop on the B pillar that slows the belt down when it's retracting.

The TSB involved cleaning the black grime out of that loop that the belt passes through, and then applying Teflon self-stick pads on that loop where the belt touches it. It worked for a few years after it was done, but the belts have once again slowed down. I suppose even the Teflon pads collect the same dirt & grime after some time.

The bottom line is that you have to clean those pillar loops well, and the belts will slide better. It should be noted, though, that any lubricant applied there will end up on your clothes, that's why Lexus applied Teflon there.
This is really helpful information, I will clean and then spray ironing aid on the loops I think? Should be okay on the clothes and that stuff is slippery..
Old 09-19-07 | 08:00 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Remove the seatbelts from the car and give it a good soaking with worm water and degreaser (keeping the mechanism out of water) and scrub with a soft brush.
I worked perfectly for me.
Old 05-24-16 | 03:11 PM
WALTERBOB
Driver School Candidate

Default LEXUS 1999 es300. front seat belts slow to retract.

bEFORE TAKING any seat betls out .,, I have this advice. pull the belt out all the way. put a clamp on the belt near the post hook( loop ) at the top.. Use warm detergent water in large kitchen mixing bowl. PLace a towel on seat. Put bowl on towel. PLace as much of the belt in the water as possible and stir it up. Let sit for a few mintue while you wash the belt that is not able to be in the BOWL. use a rag and soak it up good, Next clean the slot on the upper post ( both sides) with a rag and q tips, get inside the area as best you can. run the belt back and forth ( 6-8 in) to remove anything you miss,.. NOW go back to the bowl. Mix the water it will turn gray from all the old and dust. Squezze it and move it around, get the action going, NOW
back to the post loop and belt up there, rinses with freash water.GET some rubbing alchol., Clean the slot and the whole mechism with fresh water to REMOVE the soap that is drying into the belt, NOW take the belt out of the dirty water.And get some fresh water, put belt into the fresh water and Rinse it for a minute, Also the rest of the belt that can not enter the bowl. Use a wet clean rag and wash up the belt to the upper post loop.
Rinse the belt in the bowl again,. throw out the water, DRY with clean cloth, IF you want you can use detergent and water in bowl again and repeat wash and rinse what you can get into the bowl. NEXt

REPEAT procedure using Rubbing alcohol.

Soak a paper towel with RUBBING Alchol. Wipe the belt both sides. Down the belt. Keep the paper toweling sautrated with Rubbing alohoL.. work the entire belt 2 times this way. soak it as much as possible... HERE IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE BELT. YOU HAVE REMOVED THE DIRT AND THE DETERGENT.. DETERGENT IS STICKY WHEN DRYING OR IN HIGH HUMIDITY,.
SOAKING IN ALCOHOL REMOVES MORE OILS AND GREASES it ALSO LOOSENS THE BELT UP. REMOVING THE WATER ALSO, total time 15 minutes per belt. I did this on my daugthers 1999 lexus that was seldom cleaned or washed inside, Both front belts now retract properly. Seat belts are made of NYLON. ( inorganic). Alcholol ( isopropel) is an inorganic acid that cleans nylon

DO NOT worry it will not destroy the belts. IT only cleans the surface you can get 70% or 80% or 90% purity at the drug store, I used 70% that was in my medicene chest. .