ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

More JDM. Chrome Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 10:40 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it off... Cause i guess i didn't like how the side panels looked with it...cause u can tell its taped on, not incorporated into the side molding -> cheap
O wells..
Old 01-05-09, 07:17 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Old 01-05-09, 07:58 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, awesome pics of an awesome looking ride, Slooooooow!
Hope you don't mind me stealing them to add to my Hot ES screen-saver rotation

That chrome trim looks sick! Great job you did!
Old 01-05-09, 10:43 PM
Walnut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same car, Slooooooow, and yours looks so good. The chrome definitely works. An interesting thing about human pschology, if these things came with chrome we would all be experimenting with removing it!

What are the rims and tires?

And I like the amber parking lights...
Old 01-06-09, 07:05 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Smile

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Wow, awesome pics of an awesome looking ride, Slooooooow!
Hope you don't mind me stealing them to add to my Hot ES screen-saver rotation

That chrome trim looks sick! Great job you did!
Thank you, Lexucan. Your car is already on my ES wallpaper and screensaver rotation. I'm honored to be on yours.

Originally Posted by Walnut
I have the exact same car, Slooooooow, and yours looks so good. The chrome definitely works. An interesting thing about human pschology, if these things came with chrome we would all be experimenting with removing it!

What are the rims and tires?

And I like the amber parking lights...
  • Thank you, Walnut.
  • I couldn't agree more with both of your observations. I think we often go over the top in trying to achieve all things JDM (much as I've read the Japanese market does with USDM). My personal preference on any mod (JDM or otherwise) is to have it emphasize the elegant body of this beautiful design, and not to modify in a way that takes away from it.
  • I'm also now a fan of the amber lenses in the headlights, as they add to the shape and character of the already legendary headlights, the arguable initiators of the projector craze.
  • The wheels are 5Zigen SportsEngine 3000s and the tires are Kuhmo Ecstas.
Again, even though you turned away from it on your car, props to Tuan for calling this mod to my attention.
Old 01-06-09, 07:49 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
  • I couldn't agree more with both of your observations. I think we often go over the top in trying to achieve all things JDM (much as I've read the Japanese market does with USDM). My personal preference on any mod (JDM or otherwise) is to have it emphasize the elegant body of this beautiful design, and not to modify in a way that takes away from it.
  • I'm also now a fan of the amber lenses in the headlights, as they add to the shape and character of the already legendary headlights, the arguable initiators of the projector craze.
  • The wheels are 5Zigen SportsEngine 3000s and the tires are Kuhmo Ecstas.
Again, even though you turned away from it on your car, props to Tuan for calling this mod to my attention.
And I couldn't agree more with your observations, Slooooooow.

I don't agree with doing mods just for the sake of change. For me (but I understand everyone has different views on this point) mods should accentuate the design and not detract from it. And to that end, like you, I too like the look of the amber lenses. And for that matter, the two-tone paint as well.
And about the amazing design of this car: had I purchased a 1991 ES250 when new (no offense here to all those who did and love the car) I would still be kicking myself in the butt after seeing what Lexus came up with for 1992 !! I mean, it is a TOTALLY different design from the ground up, and the rather boxy body shape of the ES250 was transformed into the sleek and sexy lines of the now classic 2nd generation ES (or 1st generation ES300).
Old 06-25-09, 03:39 AM
ES Boy
Lead Lap

Interesting. I think I might have to look into doing this eventually.
Old 06-25-09, 08:27 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Did anyone ever complete this on their 3rd gen. ES ?

I am curious and would like to know before my mind starts wandering!

I know on the 3es it may not be as subtle since [my observation] the panels has a noticeable gap between them and arent 'too flush' to each other.

Well see if i can dig up some of this ill try it out! Maybe it will look good, with the clear 2001 tails and all
Old 06-26-09, 09:24 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Did anyone ever complete this on their 3rd gen. ES ?

I am curious and would like to know before my mind starts wandering!

I know on the 3es it may not be as subtle since [my observation] the panels has a noticeable gap between them and arent 'too flush' to each other.

Well see if i can dig up some of this ill try it out! Maybe it will look good, with the clear 2001 tails and all
If I were you I'd buy a roll of it and try it. You'll need two rolls though to do the whole car. If it doesn't look good to you, just remove it again. It's not expense and it peels off easily if it's removed soon after putting it on.
Old 07-13-09, 07:40 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1998 Lexus ES 300

Here are some pics of my car using the chrome trim. I used the quarter inch trim around the car and lower front lip and the 1/8th inch used around the rear tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails More JDM. Chrome Trim-imgp0001_resize.jpg   More JDM. Chrome Trim-imgp0005_resize.jpg   More JDM. Chrome Trim-imgp0008_resize.jpg   More JDM. Chrome Trim-imgp0013_resize.jpg   More JDM. Chrome Trim-imgp0020_resize.jpg  

Old 04-24-10, 08:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just did thi, but only to the front an rear bumper and wondering if i should do it to the doors as well
Old 04-24-10, 09:13 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@angmedic91 did you drill a whole in your front bumper for the license plate?
Old 04-25-10, 11:11 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

IMO, that looks awful. It's on the same level with those fake Buick LeSabre vents that everyone seems to be sticking on their cars these days. Cheap chrome stick-on stuff sucks.

and btw, that's not jdm.

Last edited by BoostedE21; 04-25-10 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 11:28 AM
13xus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuan92129
So, i went to autozone today finally and bought some chrome trim to get the JDM Windom look of the chrome trim around the perimeter of the es300 in the divider between the plastic body panel/top.

Will install tommorrow. (BTW some noob person at Autozone just gave me an extra packet of trim (14 bucks each). I bought a larger size 1/4 inch trim and then returned it b/c i thought it looked too big. So then i grab two of the 1/8 inch size and they gave me the difference for only one package ^__^. lol
JDM
hey Tuan, how can you make ur signal light become white color so it matched with the headlight, that look nice, can u tell me how to do it thanks
Old 04-26-10, 07:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Bought some of this today...

Oh man - its gonna look dope. Not some thing the average person will notice, but will look that much more like a proper Lexus - a la GS series

Quick Reply: More JDM. Chrome Trim