ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dust Boots,or no Dust Boots??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 01:39 PM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust Boots,or no Dust Boots??

Okay, so Im finally going to upgrade my suspension. I've decided to go with the KYBs, and H & Rs since they are looking really good on the cars. Ive already got the order in, and they should be here next week hopefully.

In the mean time, I want to get everything done right, by getting dust boots and strut mounts. There hasn't been much luck dealing with Toyota. It seems most people on here usually get good service, when going to Toyota, but Im starting to hate going there. The guy at the counter didn't even want to help as soon as I told him the parts was for a Lexus. I didn't want to tell him, but his dumb a$$ couldnt even look up the parts. So i ended up giving him the VIN.

Even at that point, he suggested I go to Lexus. Said the prices would be the same. WRONG!! They wanted 98.00 per f. strut mount, compared to 80.00 at toyota. They also wanted 50.00 a piece for the insulators/dust boots.

I got fed up and decided to go to Autozone. Please tell me if this is a mistake. Ordered the two f. strut mounts for 65.00 a piece. And decided to go to a different Toyota for the dust boots.

Total came up to 150.00 for the boots (placed the order). I think this is a litte too much, seeing that the Struts were only around 250.

So, I know when I had my Teggy, and my bros civic, there werent any dust boots on the car, and everything seemed okay. Do I really need dust boots for the ES???
Old 09-28-07, 02:19 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

• Get the dust boots. It's nice protection for the suspension components. They can be had so cheaply that it's silly not to.
  • Return the ones you ordered for $65.
  • Order them from Carson Toyota (one of our supporting vendors) by way of Luis. I paid $18 for mine (total or each, I don't recall, but either is much cheaper than $65).
  • I went the same way with my suspension overhaul last year.
  • I paid $160 for my strut mounts ($80 each) from Carson. Get yours from there too if you can cancel your Autozone order.
  • The 2nd generation suspension sticky can save you a lot of time and error if you breeze through it. (Seems like the stickies always get looked over despite the best efforts to emphasize them)
  • While you're under there, pick up the thicker rear swaybar and associated bushings to really firm things up and flatten your cornering. Whiteline is about the only one for 2nd gens. Check the sticky for the vendors and costs.
Old 09-29-07, 10:25 AM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
  • Get the dust boots. It's nice protection for the suspension components. They can be had so cheaply that it's silly not to.
  • Return the ones you ordered for $65.
  • Order them from Carson Toyota (one of our supporting vendors) by way of Luis. I paid $18 for mine (total or each, I don't recall, but either is much cheaper than $65).
  • I went the same way with my suspension overhaul last year.
  • I paid $160 for my strut mounts ($80 each) from Carson. Get yours from there too if you can cancel your Autozone order.
  • The 2nd generation suspension sticky can save you a lot of time and error if you breeze through it. (Seems like the stickies always get looked over despite the best efforts to emphasize them)
  • While you're under there, pick up the thicker rear swaybar and associated bushings to really firm things up and flatten your cornering. Whiteline is about the only one for 2nd gens. Check the sticky for the vendors and costs.

Thanks man! Im gonna bring the boots I already got, back. I would really like to get those whiteline sway bars but I guess its gotta wait, being on a student budget and all.
Cant wait till I get those KYB and H&Rs in!!