ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Upgrade sequence...rec's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 09:50 AM
bizarreRide
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade sequence...rec's?

I have a 98 Es 300 and I want to beef it up...I'm just looking for input as for the most cost-effective mods for performance/speed, and what order to go in so that each step is as effective as possible (because I can only afford to upgrade one area every 4 to 6 months and would like to notice at least some difference each time as much as possible).

Especially curious about the following:

- Torque converter - heard this helps 0-60 time alot on automatic tranny...where is best place to get them, and is it worth doing, or would it be better to hold off and save up for a different tranny?

- Suspension - I know the es has a nice suspension already...I suspect some components would be worth hanging on two, but would like new shocks/springs to lower. Any other suspension parts going to benefit greatly from upgrades?

- Intake - will probably be my next upgrade...adding a K&N filter was my first and only so far. What kind of horsepower kick can I expect from a top-of-the-line cold air intake? Has anyone tried making their own?

- Rear spoiler - I haven't seen any rear spoilers that I'm in love with for the ES...I don't like the factory one, and haven't seen any others on the street. Anyone seen a particular make/model of spoiler that looks really good on an ES, and functions well for added traction?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer...

Tommy
Old 01-09-02, 08:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Upgrade sequence...rec's?

- Torque converter - heard this helps 0-60 time alot on automatic tranny...where is best place to get them, and is it worth doing, or would it be better to hold off and save up for a different tranny?

You could talk to Level Ten out of New Jersey. www.levelten.com
Beware because this is not a very cost effective modification.

- Suspension - I know the es has a nice suspension already...I suspect some components would be worth hanging on two, but would like new shocks/springs to lower. Any other suspension parts going to benefit greatly from upgrades?

Since the ES300 is identical to the Camry chassis wise...MCV20=chassis code...you can use many of the Camry V6 components on your vehicle.

Struts = TRD/Bilstien (most expensive) or Tokico Blue
Springs = TRD/Eibach, Eibach Pro Kit (same as TRD but w/o the high price), H&R (lowest drop) and Intrax.
Misc. = TRD Rear Sway Bar from the Solara. Urethane bushings (www.whiteline.com.au).

- Intake - will probably be my next upgrade...adding a K&N filter was my first and only so far. What kind of horsepower kick can I expect from a top-of-the-line cold air intake? Has anyone tried making their own?

As far as HP gains...you probably will get 3-4HP at the most which isn't really noticable. You will lose your low end torque. Your options are the RMM (Rod Millen) Sport Intake, Injen Intake, EL Prototypes (www.elprototypes.com) Cold Air Intake, or other custom. Do a forum search on EL Prototypes intake and you will find photos that I posted a while ago.

- Rear spoiler - I haven't seen any rear spoilers that I'm in love with for the ES...I don't like the factory one, and haven't seen any others on the street. Anyone seen a particular make/model of spoiler that looks really good on an ES, and functions well for added traction?

Since the ES300 is a front wheel drive vehicle, it's redundant to have a rear spoiler on the car. The only purpose it serves is for looks only. If you want added traction, you need low profile tires and larger rims.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-02, 08:51 AM
bizarreRide
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for all your help flipside. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, and gives me a much better idea of which direction to go on the upgrades...I'll be sure to post some pics when I get it going...

Thanks again,
T-
Old 01-10-02, 09:32 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Good luck with your project!