ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suckered up for the book

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 09:07 AM
harrywat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suckered up for the book

I bought the Toyota Repair Manual for my 97 es 300, $139.05 delivered. I always try to justify paying big bucks for a book with the thought that It'll pay for itself with a few successful DIY repairs. In fact, I use the same justification for buying the VERY special tools required for certain jobs. An example is a counter holding tool on a timing belt change. I haven't priced it yet, but from what I see in the manual, it will be needed.

Does any know what a timing belt change would cost?

This manual is almost two inches thick and has very clear and detailed illustrations with accompanying text for each step.

If anyone wants to make a donation, send cash.

Thanks
Harry
Old 10-04-07, 09:59 AM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harrywat
I bought the Toyota Repair Manual for my 97 es 300, $139.05 delivered. I always try to justify paying big bucks for a book with the thought that It'll pay for itself with a few successful DIY repairs. In fact, I use the same justification for buying the VERY special tools required for certain jobs. An example is a counter holding tool on a timing belt change. I haven't priced it yet, but from what I see in the manual, it will be needed.

Does any know what a timing belt change would cost?

This manual is almost two inches thick and has very clear and detailed illustrations with accompanying text for each step.

If anyone wants to make a donation, send cash.

Thanks
Harry
I fabricated mine out of 1" bar stock 1/4 " thick by 1 ' long... welded a plate to the handle after cutting out the plate I drilled 3/8 " holes on the ends, I smeared a little engine grease from the oil pan on the front of the crank pulley and pressed a sheet of paper to the front of the pulley to give me the location of the bolt holes... here is a pic of the plate before cutting it out and drilling the second hole... also have to weld the handle on...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-04-07, 10:18 AM
harrywat
Driver School Candidate

I wish you would expand on your tool a little more. I would like to attemp my own. Plus a couple of other question:

Does this tool hold the dampner by bolting on while a socket set up removes the crank bolt?

If you have done the timing belt replacement, did you replace the water pump while you were in there? Or is that not a neccessity?

Thanks
Harry
Old 10-04-07, 02:23 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

I saved myself the $140 for the Field Service Manual and downloaded it from the Web.....I just print out the sections I need for any DIY repair work
Old 10-04-07, 02:54 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Actually there is another way to bust the bolt loose by using a long breaker bar and the starter... you use a 18 or 19mm six point short impact socket 1/2 in. drive and with the breaker jammed against the ground pointing toward the front of the car you can bump the key to have the engine bust it loose as it cranks and dont forget to unplug the power to the igniter coil... My spanner wrench came in handy to hold the motor from turning when i was using the puller to get the crank pulley off... And the answer is yes replace the waterpump and idler and tensioner pulleys at that time...
Old 10-04-07, 06:21 PM
harrywat
Driver School Candidate

Good move Ivory98, I considered doing the same thing but I am connected with the slowest dialup north of yonder. Why don't you provide a link for the other members. I was there during my manual search, by I was also everywhere else, including Ebay. When I came across the Toyota site, I made the move.

Thanks
Harry
Old 10-04-07, 07:34 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

Default Downloadable Factory Service Manuals for '97-'01

Ok.... here is the info. just copy and paste the url and you should get a pop up asking to save the file to where ever you want. The first one is a complete '97 ES300 service manual and the second is an update from an '01 ES300

Program Name: 1997 Lexus ES 300 FSMs
File Link: http://www.turbotoyota.com/FSMs/1997...0300%20FSM.zip
Category: FSM's
Description: 1997 Lexus ES 300 FSMs
Author's Name: LEXUS
Author's Email: Lexus@isreally.cool
Filesize: 40,315,130
Version: 1.0
HomePage: http://No.homepage.com

Program Name: 2001 Lexus ES 300 FSMs
File Link: http://www.turbotoyota.com/FSMs/2001...300%20FSMs.zip
Category: FSM's
Description: 2001 Lexus ES 300 FSMs
Author's Name: LEXUS
Author's Email: Lexus@isreally.cool
Filesize: b]40,315,130[/b]
Version: 1.0
HomePage: http://No.homepage.com

Hope this helps everyone out -

PEACE.....
Old 10-04-07, 08:38 PM
harrywat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ivory98. I am going to nibble at the second one because I have already found one thing in my paper book that doesn't match my car. I'm sure there will be others and I'll find out if the update covers them.

Thanks
Harry
Old 10-04-07, 08:55 PM
harrywat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by esucaris1
Actually there is another way to bust the bolt loose by using a long breaker bar and the starter... you use a 18 or 19mm six point short impact socket 1/2 in. drive and with the breaker jammed against the ground pointing toward the front of the car you can bump the key to have the engine bust it loose as it cranks and dont forget to unplug the power to the igniter coil... My spanner wrench came in handy to hold the motor from turning when i was using the puller to get the crank pulley off... And the answer is yes replace the waterpump and idler and tensioner pulleys at that time...
Using the starter, hmmmm. Its scary but I like the possibilities. Have you done it this way? I kinda like a success story from someone before trying something like, but... I think I would rope the pull handle in about three directions in case Murphy wondered by, he seems to be at events like this.

Thanks for the information on parts to replace. This is a job I'll do in the near future. The PO had it done abou 90K miles ago, said it costs $277. That sounds low to me but I am brand new to Lexus.

I still want to more about your spanner. I have never seen the real tool so have nothing to go by.

Thanks
Harry