ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Gabriel Strut/suspension Replacements for 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 07:11 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gabriel Strut/suspension Replacements for 2nd gen

So i've decided to keep my car.

I'm looking to replace some of suspension parts to make it ride better. It's not bad but it feels loose everytime i hit a bump and there's lil noises here and there. It just doesn't feel as tight as it should.

First, I'm looking to replace the front and rear sway bar links as others have suggested since it's relatively cheap.

Then, I'm looking to replace the front and rear struts and also front and rear strut mounts.

I've found gabriel replacement strut cartridges and mounts on ebay for very cheap so I think I will go that route.

Based on your experiences, did you have to replace the strut mount bearings at the same time?

Is there anything I need besides these items to restore the factory ride feel?

Oh and I've recently replaced all the bushings with polyurethane ones under the car a few months ago. So i should be fine in terms of bushings.

TIA for your input
Old 10-04-07, 07:25 PM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

I would also like to get mines back to Lexus standards in ride quality. I know shes 12 years old but the roll in the car is terrible, and the steering wheel shakes when at hwy speeds. New front rotors, tires, axles, and brakes
I just got the KYBs in and gabriel mounts (AutoZone), just waiting for the H&Rs. I'll let you know how that works out.
Oh yea, good move on keeping ur car!!
Old 10-04-07, 08:15 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

I kept the original mounts on my 97' when I put in my KYB struts and everything has been working fine so far.
Old 10-05-07, 11:20 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

it's hard to explain but my car feels like it's riding on stiff struts but at the same time i don't have the cornering capability of a stiff strut.

Also I have noises when i go over bumps and potholes, i'm hoping the sway bar links and strut mounts would fix that.

As for the shaking steering wheel at highway speeds, I have a bit of vibration but it doesn't really bother me.
Old 10-05-07, 12:12 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by maniax
So i've decided to keep my car.
Awesome decision. You were just getting a good run on it and I was/am looking forward to seeing where you take it.
I'm looking to replace some of suspension parts to make it ride better. It's not bad but it feels loose everytime i hit a bump and there's lil noises here and there. It just doesn't feel as tight as it should.
Mine was the same way just prior to the suspension overhaul.
First, I'm looking to replace the front and rear sway bar links as others have suggested since it's relatively cheap.
Daizen and Whiteline are our main choices for the bushings. The Whiteline rear sway bar is a WONDERFUL upgrade for the stock rear sway bar. I highly recommend it.
Then, I'm looking to replace the front and rear struts and also front and rear strut mounts.
Good choice. Are you looking to a)improve handling and performance, or b)are you merely looking to replace what you have as cheaply as possible?
I've found gabriel replacement strut cartridges and mounts on ebay for very cheap so I think I will go that route.
This is definitely a cheaper route. That might answer my question immediately above.
Based on your experiences, did you have to replace the strut mount bearings at the same time?
Go ahead and replace the strut mounts at the same time. You'll save money on labor if you're having it done, or you'll save time on labor if you're doing it yourself. Plus, they seem to be the weakpoint on our suspension as they seem to easily degrade and begin making pops and creaks. I got the OEM Toyota ones from Luis at Carson for $160.
Is there anything I need besides these items to restore the factory ride feel?
You'll likely need to replace the dust boots. They're inexpensive though. I also got the OEM Toyota ones from Luis at Carson for $30. These do serve a purpose so you might as well get 'em done.
Oh and I've recently replaced all the bushings with polyurethane ones under the car a few months ago. So i should be fine in terms of bushings.
You're already ahead of the game with the bushings then.
Old 10-05-07, 01:20 PM
dallison
Intermediate

just replaced all 4 struts and strut mounts. it cost $500 from www.ajusa.com

the parts were perfect and made a difference. the old struts had almost no rebound at all