ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Any1 with aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 09:50 AM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any1 with aftermarket exhaust

i really want a little bit more exhaust sound. not ricer, but just something a lil louder than stock.

does anyone have aftermarket exhaust here that they recommend or know will work on my 2000 es?
Old 10-05-07, 11:16 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking about putting a dynomax super turbo muffler on my 93 5 speed

It's suppose to give a deep sound and it's not very loud also w/o the droning when cruising. It's damn cheap too. Like $60 shipped on ebay.

I heard some clips on youtube and it seems like what i was looking for.

hope that helps.
Old 10-05-07, 11:44 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Colpup ES3
i really want a little bit more exhaust sound. not ricer, but just something a lil louder than stock.

does anyone have aftermarket exhaust here that they recommend or know will work on my 2000 es?
I'm working on it. I started this thread to log the experience, but, after getting an estimate from the best place in North Texas, I've stalled out waiting to hemorrhage the cash it's going to require.

As a result I'm also driving the Dallas streets with an inspection sticker that's two months expired as well. Not a fun thing. The car's NOx was just too high last year and I think the guy passed me outta pity. I'm not counting on pity this year, so I've not attempted inspection yet. And yeah, you can tell it needs exhaust help when you let it run for a few in the garage; it gets pretty noxious smelling.

I'm hoping, that if I pick up an SC300 soon, I can postpone the ES exhaust purchase and just drive the SC for a bit. Bah, it's hard to explain.

Anyway here are the components I've spec'd out:

JIC Stainless Steel Canister DE Type 2 muffler
Part #: DET2SU-D
Inlet Diameter: 3.15" (80 mm), Tip Style: Dual
MSRP $398

OBX SS Header (questionable - will likely go w/ existing custom y-pipe or have it redone)
93-98 ES300 92-97 Camry 3.0L V6 FED
MSRP $275
Header Installation: Tech has dealt with OBX headers in the past, and comments that sometimes the flanges do not fit correctly and need to be cut and re-welded
Quoted: $350-450
Install converter, performance resonator & cat-back pipe:
$575 (w/ racing metal converter; 20% more efficient than ceramic)

Pipe:
2.5” Mandrel bent stainless steel system – add $400

Total Price: $2,098

I don't care that I'm not autocrossing the ES, etc., or it's "just an ES." This car's one of my babies and If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.
Old 10-05-07, 11:53 AM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

if im going for just sound and not necesarily performance, is it possible to just get a muffler put on and skip headers and mid pipe? i also dont have 2k to spend on something this minor. So either ill be getting just a muffler or i will be not purchasing any upgrades
Old 10-05-07, 12:21 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Colpup ES3
if im going for just sound and not necesarily performance, is it possible to just get a muffler put on and skip headers and mid pipe?

Yes. I'm having to go from engine or headers back because my catalytic converters are shot and the system is old. My Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder dictates that I must replace it with something nicer and better as well. Yours likely doesn't need that much playing with.

For one, Pheonix and some others on TN.com tell me the stock headers aren't THAT restrictive anyway, to focus on a better Y-pipe if you do anything.

If your mid-pipe is in okay condition, roll with that and just add a muffler. One bit of advice based on what I've been told by folks who should know - DO NOT lose the resonator or you'll get the Honda tin can/bees in a can sound.
Old 10-06-07, 04:22 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^ haha honda bees in a can sound!!! i laugh everytime i heard a car like that, its just sooooo stupid!!!