ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Are Strut mount plates neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 09:23 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Strut mount plates neccessary?

I just got some gabriel strut mount plates in the mail today and after opening them up......I realized they're just metal plates with no rubber parts. It didn't even have the bearing on it.

I was hoping it would help with the noises i'm getting but now i'm really wondering if it's necessary to replace strut mounts......

I cannot see any part of the strut mount plate where any wear and tear can occur.

So when ppl mechanics tell you to replace strut mounts along with struts....do they mean the strut mount bearing or the strut mount plate?

Old 10-10-07, 09:31 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

I didn't bother replacing them when I changed the springs & shocks. Send em back and keep your original ones ;]
Old 10-11-07, 04:20 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Maniax,

I recently bought a pair of Factory Original Strut Mounts and at first I thought that they had no rubber parts either. Upon closer inspection from the top of the mount I could put my finger in the top opening and there is a large but firm rubber portion inside - it felt like metal at first but I can just depress it slightly and it is rubber.

Not sure about the ones that you have though. I know that if you look at mine from the bottom as in your picture there is no rubber parts to be seen/felt either!

I suffer from the front end noise as well and I am convinced it's the mounts (I have done A LOT of researching this on the internet) but in my case I haven't been able to install them yet because I also have to get new struts as well - coz one of them has a very slow leak!

I'm up for a min of $1,000 just to replace the front struts here in Australia

LEX ES300
Old 10-11-07, 09:04 AM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

I think its gotta be the bearing going bad, and making the noise. Not 100%
I would change the bearings as well. Not sure how much if you get it separate, but the front mount w/bearing at autozone is going for $60
Old 10-11-07, 02:56 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi Maniax,

I recently bought a pair of Factory Original Strut Mounts and at first I thought that they had no rubber parts either. Upon closer inspection from the top of the mount I could put my finger in the top opening and there is a large but firm rubber portion inside - it felt like metal at first but I can just depress it slightly and it is rubber.

Not sure about the ones that you have though. I know that if you look at mine from the bottom as in your picture there is no rubber parts to be seen/felt either!

I suffer from the front end noise as well and I am convinced it's the mounts (I have done A LOT of researching this on the internet) but in my case I haven't been able to install them yet because I also have to get new struts as well - coz one of them has a very slow leak!

I'm up for a min of $1,000 just to replace the front struts here in Australia

LEX ES300
thanks for the advice! I FOUND IT! i looked at it again closely and could not find a difference but then i started poking different areas with a scissor and YES there is a big rubber portion inside the mount. It's very firm but i'm sure it's not metal.

Looks like i will be replacing the mounts and the sway links.

For your struts, if your factory struts are serviceable, you can just buy the refill cartridges on ebay for very cheap.

like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gabri...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-11-07, 02:57 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yaj95ES300
I think its gotta be the bearing going bad, and making the noise. Not 100%
I would change the bearings as well. Not sure how much if you get it separate, but the front mount w/bearing at autozone is going for $60
I'm not gonna buy the bearings now. I'm gonna first try the mounts and sway links and if noise continues, i will replace the strut mount bearing.
Old 10-11-07, 05:42 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by maniax
thanks for the advice! I FOUND IT! i looked at it again closely and could not find a difference but then i started poking different areas with a scissor and YES there is a big rubber portion inside the mount. It's very firm but i'm sure it's not metal.

Looks like i will be replacing the mounts and the sway links.

For your struts, if your factory struts are serviceable, you can just buy the refill cartridges on ebay for very cheap.

like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gabri...spagenameZWDVW

That's great Maniax,

Glad I could help you out - I love these forums! I have learnt so much from this site, and in return I have been able to help others as well.

And thanks for the link to the struts. I will have to see if mine are servicable.

If you are replacing the strut mounts, you might as well replace the small bearings that fit under them as well. They are not very expensive, so you might as well do them at the same time.

Lex ES300
Old 10-11-07, 06:01 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not gonna buy the bearings now. I'm gonna first try the mounts and sway links and if noise continues, i will replace the strut mount bearing.
What kind of noise it is, maniax? Mine makes sort of a squishy rubber noise when I go over speed bumps too fast. Is that the strut mounts?
I replaced the front sway bar bushings a while back and the noise I'm hearing now isn't the same sort of clunking noise I used to hear.

Last edited by Lexucan; 10-11-07 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:38 PM
Baybarea
Driver

I too have the squishy rubber noise and the clunking noise in the front of the car area. Is the squishy rubber noise the sway bar bearings and the clunking noise the strut mount bearings? I'm currios cause I was just going to get struts/shocks and springs to fix this problem but if this is the case, may as well get the sway bar bushing done at the same time.
Old 10-11-07, 10:08 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Baybarea
I too have the squishy rubber noise and the clunking noise in the front of the car area. Is the squishy rubber noise the sway bar bearings and the clunking noise the strut mount bearings? I'm currios cause I was just going to get struts/shocks and springs to fix this problem but if this is the case, may as well get the sway bar bushing done at the same time.
The clunking noise I used to have was my sway bar bushings. That noise is now gone since I replaced them but lately I'm hearing the squish squish sound when going over bumps, so I'm figuring it might be the strut mounts.....maybe.
Old 10-12-07, 10:37 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i have that squishy sound when i go over bumps....it's not very serious but it bothers me. I hope the strut mounts help!
Old 10-12-07, 10:53 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

yeah i have that squishy sound when i go over bumps....it's not very serious but it bothers me. I hope the strut mounts help!
It bothers me too! Pls be sure to post back here with your results once you've replaced your mounts.

thanks.
Old 01-19-08, 08:43 AM
mbibbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How difficult is it to replace the strut mounts? Is this something I can do myself and avoid the dealer? I have a 2000 ES300. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Yodog (12-14-23)