ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

super changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:36 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation super changer

Hi there all I'm a 1992 es300 windom with the camry v6 owner from New Zealand . I am looking at going vip style and will be looking at adding the super charger from the toyota soarer as this should be a straight bolt on.has anyone heard of this being done??? as the es300 has not been touched re mods down here and i have not got any thing to go off (mainly driven by old people )
Old 10-15-07, 10:09 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

im no touching it until you realize it's not the same car platform, nay even remotely the same type of engine.........................................
Old 10-15-07, 11:26 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

pheonix as I said not much info on es300 down here,I take it you mean the soarer is not same lay out as the v6 in the es300 which i take to be the camry is this correct? sorry dead new at lexus had a skyline with 400 bhp but i killed the gear box $3.5k damage.oooouch so had to sell it the windom was cheap $100 just want a little extra grunt as i miss the power but love the lexus 's ride and handling any help would be great

Last edited by kiwies300; 10-15-07 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soarer: 1JZ-GTE motor. Turbo-charged. Inline 6.
92 ES300/Windom: 3VZ-FE motor. Naturally Aspirated. V-6
Camry: V6 motor is the same as ES300.

No turbo or supercharger is availible for the 3VZ-FE motor. Only custom turbo and work.
Old 10-16-07, 11:36 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont forget that soarer is rwd, and windom/es300/camry/solara are all fwd, and different engines.
Charley
Old 10-16-07, 11:53 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

cheers for the replies helped clear that up alot of miss infomation
if super charger is not in the works then I take it the n/a tune route is the way to go.
pod filter,extractors and a 2"3/4 inch straight through pipe with a resinator maybe reprograme the computer not keen on nos as this will be a family car
Old 10-17-07, 08:14 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Another ES n00b looking for the power...(as we all did at one time)

Here's a first time attempt at a summary response. I've been searching for weeks, collecting the valuable stuff and melding it.

Let me save you some time on searching for the power with quotes from our Pheonix:

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Everythings custom.

* custom intake
* custom intake manifold & throttlebody
* head porting & valve work (1mm oversized exhaust valves do fit)
* custom cams
* custom headers/collector or custom y-pipe
* high flow/delete cat
* high flow resonator
* high flow muffler
* piggyback to control ignition timing & somewhat fuel
* higher compression pistons (hah)
* stroked crankshaft & corisponding rods (hahaha)
* bored out cylinder sleeves & larger pistons (bawahahahahaha)
* knife edged crankshaft (ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahaha)
* lightening the engine/drivetrain components

Which is pretty much why you just do intake, make a y-pipe/cat & change cat back. Maybe get a piggyback. Mods cost money, and the only mod with a really good price / performance ratio normilly aspirated is a y-pipe.

Which is why most of us say do the basic mods, then:
1) buy a new car
2) spend $450-550 on ebay for a wet n2o kit
3) save for a turbo setup

Impossible to say. Figure... 340-400bhp N/A on a 9K, 9.5K, 10K rpm peak engine. But at extrordinary cost. You're literally talking about building a 10-20 grand engine.

Just do some basic mods, then save for a turbo, or n2o. N/A sucks. It's always expencive, and always a dead end. With FI, you can make whatever you want to, at infinately less cost, with no sacrafice on the powerband.
EXHAUST NOTES?QUOTES:

Originally Posted by Pheonix
A grounding system really isn't going to do anything on that engine. It's a wasted spark ignition. The stock spark is very, very strong. Maybe on an engine that has corroded every stock ground off of it.

You're really looking at doing some exhaust mods. Its all been said many times before. Y-pipe, high flow cat (or no cat with an o2 simulator if u dont' have emessions), a high flow resonator, and a good muffler.
From there... It gets relatively expencive with headwork, cams, or a turbo/supercharger. Unless you just feel like slapping a $450-550usd wet n2o kit on. Thats always the most cost effective way.

BTW headers suck. $800-1200 for custom headers, and they don't provide the power a good y-pipe will make on stock headers. I could babble on about header design, but I don't feel like it today. The problem is that shorty headers are all you'll ever find, and you'll never talk someone into making a set of real long tube headers. Short headers simply don't work. btw, I wont say what the optimal header primary tube length on the 3vz-fe's & 1mz-fe's is, b/c I may yet make a set or two. I will say it is well over 3 feet long. *Noooobody* is ever gunna make u some that long b/c they'd never figure out how to merge them LoL!

Skip the headers. Just get a good y-pipe made & put on. It'll be better than the headers anyone will be able to make you without some serious fab on it.

Long tube headers are the way to go guys... Shorty headers don't do really do crap on any v6 including ours. That's alot of money for something that will never see much potential LoL!

It's a design flaw, not a "who can make the better shorty header".
Trust me. Build a Y-pipe, or go with long tube headers. You will regret it when you spend nearly a grand on shorty headers & wind up with an extra say 10-12bhp only at peak rpms.
In short, the turbo route is the cheapest per horsepower, but few have done it. The N/A route is possibly the most expensive per horsepower and brings fewer results. Most of us just learn to tweak what we can afford to and live with what the ES has. The rest get frustrated and move to another Lexus model. I bow out now to Pheonix, McElligott and the others who can correct/modify/elaborate on what I've provided.

Oh, and finally, an official WELCOME to ClubLexus and the ES forum:

Old 10-17-07, 08:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Listen to these guys above, I heed their advice, too

For me, I would start with exhaust, it is one of those things you can feel in the seat of your pants and it puts a smile on your face afterwards.
Old 10-17-07, 04:37 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the good advice
the y-pipe sounds like the go along with a after market exhaust will have to be custom as importing way to costly any ideas on pipe size 2"3/4 ? and angle on y-pipe 45deg?
Old 10-17-07, 04:46 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

cheers for the infomation slooooooooooow
and the welcome
Old 10-17-07, 04:49 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Welcome to CL and if you want fast save up for a gs400 or sc400 its not worth all the mods to make it fast.
Old 10-17-07, 06:33 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

yeah the ES300 is not very performance oriented. it's not easy or cheap to make it go fast. Just buy a sportier car like the GS or the SC if u want performance
Old 10-17-07, 07:16 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

not so much a proformance car more of a cruzier just want a little more tourque to fill in the bottom end and maybe a little more top end not a huge amount the above mods should do the job.
Old 10-21-07, 08:36 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kiwies300
thanks for all the good advice
the y-pipe sounds like the go along with a after market exhaust will have to be custom as importing way to costly any ideas on pipe size 2"3/4 ? and angle on y-pipe 45deg?
2.5-3" outlet, 2" down pipes with a 2" collector 6-8" long, more if possible.

n2o is cheap, but not legal there.
the solara supercharger will fit if you drill out the bolt holes, but it's not good. small M45 blower runs out of steam quickly & is very hot. for the same money of doing the TRD supercharger & adding fueling to make it safe you can just do a custom turbo project.
Old 10-24-07, 01:37 AM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

Pheonix2.5-3" outlet, 2" down pipes with a 2" collector 6-8" long, more if possible.

n2o is cheap, but not legal there.
the solara supercharger will fit if you drill out the bolt holes, but it's not good. small M45 blower runs out of steam quickly & is very hot. for the same money of doing the TRD supercharger & adding fueling to make it safe you can just do a custom turbo project.
cheers Pheonix top info

Any guess on the hp gain from y-pipe,2.5"exhaust and cold air in-take?
I know this is a how long is a piece of string question.
but after reading older threads I'm starting to think a turbo/sc may not make the most sence oh well you don't ask you don't learn.

Quick Reply: super changer