ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 08:40 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default remote start

I have been noticing people (young, old, man, woman) around where i live have installed remote start on all types of cars. I am thinking about putting one on my ES. I am going for a basic Viper remote start without any alarm and goodies for 200 installed by best buy. What do you all think?? anyone has one of these?? other recommendations??

thanks in advance
Old 10-15-07, 08:53 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had compustar for two years and it works pretty good. Other than cracking the lcd on the pager cuz i dropped it too much lol

wait a minute, why would u need remote start in florida?
Old 10-16-07, 11:22 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

i had one on a 01 maxima, it was a black widow, no idea how much it was (got it liek that) thing was i would have to hold onto the ignition for a while... and after it started, sometimes the engine would shut off after a little while. Other than that nothing else was bad.
Old 10-16-07, 12:21 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Maniax your ES is a 5 spd right? I didnt think you could get remote start for manual trannys. My ES is a 5spd too and if I can get remote start I will. Where did you get yours from? How much did it cost?
Old 10-16-07, 01:06 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I went to Best Buy today just to make sure the price before i purchase it. Well, the install guy said i need a adaptor because my key has a chip in it and it wouldn't start without the $50adaptor +$30 install is it true or are they just trying to rip me off?? later i went to Circuit City and get their opinion for the adaptor, and the install guy said I dont need it, but he doesnt seem to know what he is talking about. So i am waiting until Thur. for his install manager to confirm. for now could anyone tell me if you used an adaptor, which you put in your spare key, for the remote starter to work??

Thanks
Old 10-16-07, 04:14 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B Dot
Maniax your ES is a 5 spd right? I didnt think you could get remote start for manual trannys. My ES is a 5spd too and if I can get remote start I will. Where did you get yours from? How much did it cost?
Originally Posted by B Dot
I got the compustar 2wssr, it's an old model from compustar. My remote start alarm system was actually designed for a manual transmission car which means it will only start when the car is put in neutral and with the ebrake up. The way it works is when u pull out the key, engine stays running which requires the car to be not in gear. And after you open the door, exit vehicle, and close door, the engine will automatically shut off and the alarm will activate. It's a pretty fool proof system to make sure ur car will never start in gear.

However, I'm sure many shops will install a "regular" pager/remote start system in a manual car if you pay them the right price. I've seen plenty of manual transmission cars with a regular remote start but i dont recommend it because i've personally heard alot of stories where they accidentally started the car and hit a building or another car. But in the end it's your choice!

Oh btw, the remote start/pager came with my car when i bought it so i don't know how much it actually cost.

Remote start is a great feature to have if you live in an area where it snows. It also worked great for me when i had the CarPC in the car cuz the CarPC takes about a minute to start up so i would just remote start it and by the time i enter the car, my music is ready for me!
Old 10-16-07, 04:15 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I went to Best Buy today just to make sure the price before i purchase it. Well, the install guy said i need a adaptor because my key has a chip in it and it wouldn't start without the $50adaptor +$30 install is it true or are they just trying to rip me off?? later i went to Circuit City and get their opinion for the adaptor, and the install guy said I dont need it, but he doesnt seem to know what he is talking about. So i am waiting until Thur. for his install manager to confirm. for now could anyone tell me if you used an adaptor, which you put in your spare key, for the remote starter to work??

Thanks
I remember hearing something about the chip and remote start but i cannot tell u for sure as i'm no expert in this area. I would wait for other more knowledgeable members to chime in!
Old 10-16-07, 05:32 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Thanx for the help maniax. I think I going to get a compustar but one thats just a remote start, I dont really want the alarm. I am going to stop at a couple shops near me to find out about the price of install and if it needs an adapter that best buy told ssmoked that he needs.
Old 10-16-07, 07:21 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

^^yeah let me know if the adapter is required
Old 10-16-07, 08:40 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Valet remote start for $150 installed at Circuit City...but in SD its only for showing off to my clueless friends lol.
Old 10-18-07, 04:32 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I got a Valet remote start for $150 installed at Circuit City...but in SD its only for showing off to my clueless friends lol.
Hey I was looking at the same remote start. I think it was 70+100 to install. I see that your Lexus is a 1995, did you have to get a module/transmitter because the chip in your key??? In your opinion whats the quality of the Valet?? distance for it to work, reliablity.

Thanks
Old 10-18-07, 07:11 PM
es300_2524
Driver School Candidate

n e problems with ur circuit city starter tuan92129? consdering getting one
Old 10-18-07, 07:40 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to know about this too. Gets damn cold here in Iowa. Need a little warm up time to get going in the am/pm.
Old 10-19-07, 07:30 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

I stopped at a shop near me today that has installed a lot remote start systems and alarms. They said that you will need an adapter to get remote start to work with our cars. They have been around awhile so I trust them, but I am going to stop at 1 or 2 more to be sure.
Old 10-22-07, 05:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Great news first gen. ES300 owners!!! I just got my 96' Es300 installed with remote start!! The best part, there is no chip in the key!!! I got installed at Circuit City for 105.

Quick Reply: remote start