ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Strut bar...Pros and Cons...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 10:33 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Strut bar...Pros and Cons...

What are some of the pros and cons of installing a tower bar? I've been thinking of installing one, but would like to know a lil more that "it helps your steering!"
Old 01-13-02, 12:42 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

PROS only ! better handling and when going on curves you will see the difference between "stock" and the "new" goodie.
Old 01-13-02, 08:36 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Default Cool!

Is $65.00 a good price for one? If so I'm going to get it.. It also seems easy to install.. A cheap and simple mod..
Old 01-14-02, 09:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: Strut bar...Pros and Cons...

Originally posted by BigRich
What are some of the pros and cons of installing a tower bar? I've been thinking of installing one, but would like to know a lil more that "it helps your steering!"
Pros: Your chassis will be stiffer...hence better handling.

Cons: The bar's clearance in proximity to the intake plenum is very little.
Old 01-18-02, 12:07 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Default Re: Cool!

Is $65.00 a good price for one? If so I'm going to get it.. It also seems easy to install.. A cheap and simple mod..
Danger BigRich danger!!! (lost-in-space robot) Are you, by any chance, buying this strut bar off of E-bay? If so, is the company called Autobacs? If that is the company, STAY AWAY from them at all costs!!! I bought a strut bar from them off of
E-bay and it had a defective strut bracket! I tried to convince him (Mr. Hung Lai is the owners name) that the bracket was faulty (holes not drilled in proper location) and his reply was that I didn't know how to install it properly and wanted digital pics of my set-up BEFORE even considering returning it at MY expense! I told him that I didn't possess a camera and tried to assure him that the unit was defective but he just didn't believe me.....well, to make a long story short, I still have the defective strut bar tower and he has my 62 dollars! Don't trust this man! He is a SCAM artist who doesn't want to take responsibility for any defective items he ships out!

So far, Autobacs is the only company I know who sells the aftermarket strut bar for the ES300 so I will bet that is where you are buying it from. If you do decide to buy (against my warning), let us know how it went, okay?

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 01-18-02, 01:01 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Scott... I was just about to buy some too... I was just waiting for the garage to clear so I could have more space to do it. (well, my friend is gonna do it for me).

But, after reading your story I am one of the people who will step away...

That would be a "CONS" for sure !!
Old 01-18-02, 06:58 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Yes it was off of ebay.. Thanks man for letting me know.. I'll probebly stay away for now.. I hope you left some negative feedback!
Old 01-18-02, 08:16 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Don't forget...those strut bars designed to fit the Gen3 92-96 Camry V6 models will fit the ES. But be forewarned...the clearance between the intake plenum and the bar will be minimal.
Old 01-18-02, 08:51 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Originally posted by flipside909
Don't forget...those strut bars designed to fit the Gen3 92-96 Camry V6 models will fit the ES. But be forewarned...the clearance between the intake plenum and the bar will be minimal.
Please dont laugh but what is the intake plenum?
Old 01-19-02, 11:14 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Angry Autobacs SUCKS!!

Yes it was off of ebay.. Thanks man for letting me know.. I'll probebly stay away for now.. I hope you left some negative feedback!
No problem folks.....glad to help! I don't want anyone to be in the same situation as I was!! I did complain and got no where with E-Bay as well so I may not be ordering anything in the future from E-Bay for a while.

Scott
Old 01-19-02, 11:29 AM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Please dont laugh but what is the intake plenum?
That is a good question BigRich and nobody will laugh at you. The intake plenum is a chamber to which air and fuel are mixed together then forced down to the combustion chamber via your valves in the head. In the "olden" days it used to be called the intake manifold. If you open up the hood of your Lex, you will find it as the tallest item in your engine. It is a "silvery" looking box right in the middle of your engine.

Scott.
Old 01-20-02, 08:50 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Ok now I know exactly what your talking about! Does the clearence make any difference?
Old 01-20-02, 12:23 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Talking CLearnace MAKES the difference!

Ok now I know exactly what your talking about! Does the clearence make any difference?
Since there just a few inches between the top of the hood and the intake plenum chamber for which the strut bar HAS to go over the top, clearance is EXTREMELY important! Too high and your hood will not close OR if you try to force it, you will have a HIGH RISE hood whether you like it or not! :eek:

Scott.
Old 01-20-02, 11:36 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Well with my crazy hood, who knows!! Check out my you'll never believe this thread!
Old 01-21-02, 10:30 PM
VZV21
Rookie

Here's a con:

Get's in the way when you're trying to change the plugs.

The ES250 strut bar, bends around the intake plenum. Of course, it does not have a fancy plastic over on the plenum.

Quick Reply: Strut bar...Pros and Cons...