ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Ordered new master key and valet key

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 01:02 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is still alive? lol
Old 01-13-08, 04:30 AM
fju2112
Driver

sorry..i was being a good newbie and using the search function
Old 01-13-08, 09:45 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Its all good man.

I see you just purchased a 2000 ES. Congrats on that

We at CL need pix

Last edited by Rollin'ES3; 01-13-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 10:45 AM
fju2112
Driver

Will do it once i can wax it - here in boston that's tough to do w/ 10 inches of snow expected tomorrow

i'm hoping for less problems coming from a VW Passat (wife's car, just traded it in, the Lexus is now hers). It does have a P0171 code and TRAC OFF light is on so i have to take it back to the dealership tomorrow to have them fix that. tried spray-cleaning MAFS already!
Old 02-05-08, 07:20 PM
sdahee
Driver School Candidate

I got a remote master from my dealer (not Lexus) and later a valet key from Sewell. I could not get the new master programed to start the car (used instructions on this site) and finally had a locksmoth do it. I was able to progam the remote entry portion.

According to the key distributor, they only have instructions to program the start function for Lexus models that are 2003 or older.

I would like to program my valet key myself but need some help. None of the procedures I have found on this site have worked.

2005 ES330
Old 02-05-08, 11:38 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

I think you will have to have the special tool for '04 and later models that is available at the dealerships. You can buy the tool yourself but it cost thousands so it makes no sense. I'm in the same boat. If you have a friend at a Lexus or Toyota dealership, now is a good time to say hello.
Old 08-26-08, 06:25 AM
fju2112
Driver

Hey all -

Going to order my key today from Sewell, which will arrive cut to my VIN (and apparently will work w/ the lock/unlock feature on the remote, just not start the car??). Ariyana, can you let us know if the 17 step procedure you posted worked, or did you have to go to the website that was posted here (link: http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html)?

Thanks
Old 10-06-08, 06:08 PM
fju2112
Driver

I just bought a master key from Sewell. I used the instructions on locksmith charley's site to program the key so it'll work w/ the car. I did not realize per below until I read Ariyanna's post that you also have to program the remote function.

Before I mess with this anymore, can someone confirm that I need to do both to program a master key to both start the engine and get the remote to work?

I was wondering why the remote function wasn't working, and was thinking that the last owner had installed a remote starter in the car that doesn't seem to work now, and was hoping I wouldn't have to take it to a shop to have them rip any of that out...

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
Found this on do it urself thread

1. Sit in the driver's seat and lock all the doors.
2. Unlock and open the driver's door.
3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it (don't turn it...just remove it).
4. Using the MANUAL lock switch on the driver's door, lock and unlock the door 5 times.
5. Close the door.
6. Open the door.
7. Lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times (with the power switch).
8. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
9. Remove the key.
10.The driver's door will now lock and unlock itself one time.
11.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least 1 second.
12.Close the driver's door.
13.Open the driver's door.
14.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob for at least one second.
15.Close the driver's door.
16.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob. The door will lock.
17.Press and hold the "LOCK" button on the key fob again. The door will unlock.
Old 05-24-09, 03:28 AM
fju2112
Driver

figured i'd post here as well since this thread was more lively on this topic to begin with:

my car came with one working remote master key. the metal part broke off so i bought another key that i was able to successfully program as a master. i was never able to program the remote portion though: after step 14 of the remote programming instructions, the vehicle would lock and unlock itself twice, though that wasn't in the instructions, so something was going wrong. i recently bought another master key as i wanted to have two working master remote keys and was getting ready to suck it up at a dealership after getting a deal at sewall on the key itself, by trying to spin it such that my keys worked as masters, just not as remotes. my local stealership said they may be able to do something for me in terms of not charging a full hour's labor to get both remotes working since they didn't need to program or cut the keys. but i'm just confused as to why i can't get my primary master key working w/ the remote and why the second one won't even program as a master now (it won't start the engine in step 3, just cranks and cranks, then the other key works to start the engine just fine).

how many master keys will the system accept at once? maybe i need to clear out all the masters except one, then i can program my newer master key. problem with that is, i'll lose the remote functionality on my broken/first master key as i have been unsuccessful programming the remote portion of either of the new ones.
Old 05-24-09, 06:38 AM
LarryParker
Driver

Yes, there is a limit on the number of master keys the control module will accept. The limit is either two or three master keys, plus one valet key. So yes, you have to delete all of the master keys except one, then using that key, program the other master key. Then after you think the second master has been programmed, if it cranks the engine but won't start the engine, then the key hasn't been programmed properly.

Last edited by LarryParker; 05-24-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 11:12 AM
fju2112
Driver

thanks larry.

do you know for sure what the # is? because i cleared out all the master keys last time i tried to program a key, it worked afterward. if the limit is two that's fine, i'm just hesitant to clear out all keys right now because I only have one broken-key remote that will actually work as a remote. with the other one (and likely the new master as well), i can't get it to work as a remote, just a master key. any ideas on the remote programming problems i'm experiencing? are the steps in this thread correct?
Old 05-24-09, 09:33 PM
LarryParker
Driver

Locksmith Charley, where I personally had my Engine Control Module re-flashed, says two masters and a valet is what the ECM will accept:

http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyotapostflash.pdf

That is what he programmed for me, after re-flashing my ECM (I only had gotten one valet key when I bought the used ES300) (I already had bought the cut keys online before I drove to Locksmith Charley's). But I saw no need to pay $190 for EACH of two master keys ($380 for two!) WITH REMOTE BUTTONS, when I could buy official Lexus cut master keys online WITHOUT BUTTONS for only $51 each, or $102 total for two non-remote masters. I saved $278. My whole life I have put the key in the door cylinder and opened the door that way. I can easily live without buttons on my keys for a used car, especially if it saves me $278.

So I am not familiar with why a remote key with buttons may be having problems. Can you live without buttons on one or both of your master keys?
Old 05-25-09, 05:47 AM
fju2112
Driver

i believe i have three masters now, so the # may be three. i got my third master to work, was looking at the wrong set of instructions. now my issue is that i can't get the remote to work on the two newer/unbroken ones. i asked locksmith charley about that a while back and he basically said he couldn't help, so i contacted a couple locksmiths via email in my area hoping that i can get in before my scheduled appt w/ lexus on friday. if i don't, i guess i pay a little to get the remote functionality to work provided it's not complicated.

and speaking of complicated, while i was replacing that annoying little plastic tab by the steering column adjustment lever yesterday, i noticed this odd little "on/off" kill switch by the driver's footwell. is that a kill switch, because whether it's on or off i can still start the car and lock it, etc. i know this had a remote starter installed and it wasn't functional before i bought it, but the key the car came with has not had the chip removed and the remote works on that so i can't imagine my remote troubles are stemming from this?
Attached Thumbnails Ordered new master key and valet key-lexonoff.jpg  
Old 05-25-09, 07:33 AM
LarryParker
Driver

That switch is not from the Lexus factory. Whatever it is, it can't have any effect on your keys.
Old 05-25-09, 07:40 AM
fju2112
Driver

thanks larry - this helps as i don't want to go to lexus of watertown this week and have them tell me the remote starter is giving them issues and they want to charge me more. if one master key has a working remote they should be able to get the other one/two working fine; i'm convinced i have the wrong instructions but can't find different ones anywhere. when i get to step 15 in the process mentioned in the previous post, the car locks & unlocks itself twice and the directions make no mention of that, then when i press down on the key fob for one second nothing happens and the remote doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Ordered new master key and valet key