ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

[ES Mods/Wheels] Don'tcha hate it when...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 06:57 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Okay I put an album of pics of my hub here.
You experts like Charley240 and Smitty and others who've gone with spacers, mind taking a peek, especially Charley240 since you mentioned doing this, and advising?
I've still got the car on the floor jack in case you need other pics, but I'm about to head out and wash 'er off. The OL drove through an apparent mudslide and I can't abide the dirt.
Cough....lol but then agian my knowledge is more limited to longer studs and traditional spacers.
Old 08-26-08, 07:04 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Choas
Cough....lol but then agian my knowledge is more limited to longer studs and traditional spacers.
You crack me up with that "cough". I made it a blanket call for help with "and others who've gone with spacers"

Man, the pics are a little blurry...even a Carl Zeiss lens had a bit of trouble deciding on an appropriate focus point. But you can see that there's a center "lip" that pokes out a bit around the center. I'm wondering how well that will fit with the rear of the adapters...is it safe to assume that "most" cars have such a lip and that the adapter manufacturers account for it?

Old 08-26-08, 08:52 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lip should not seriously interfere with the spacers. You are correct it saying that it is common on most cars but the size and such does vary. If you look at the spacers you were getting and most universal ones for your stud spacing you will see that they usually go around that center lip so it doesn't cause any problems. Figured you would like the "cough" had to bring attention to myself ya know.
Old 08-26-08, 10:10 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That "lip" you're talking about is the very important ring that the weight of the wheels sit on, otherwise without the ring/lip, the weight would be on the studs and we all know how easily studs break. So when you shop for spacers, make sure the spacers you get have those rings/lips on them. The TCsportline ones I linked is an example...
Old 08-27-08, 07:22 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

My gosh, the experience and knowledge in our little forum! You guys rule.
ORDERED!
It's all over but the waiting, and the install, and the testing, and the post-install pictures...
Old 08-27-08, 10:37 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it looks fine. since you are going aftermarket, you should, get hubcentric, but i personally dont believe that it is 100% necessary, since you will be using tapered aftermarket lugnuts, which will make your wheels lugcentric now, instead of hubcentric. if you want hubcentric, then you will order up your adapters with a hub bore of 60.6/60.1 and order new rings for your aftermarket wheels, since your aftermarket wheels do not have a bore of 60.1(most likely larger). but like i said, i personally do not believe that it is 100% necessary, since you are going to be lugcentric. ive ran all my aftermarket wheels without spacers. but if you do get hubcentric rings, you will be hubcentric and lugcentric.

Goodluck
Charley
Old 09-08-08, 05:17 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Talking

= HERE!
Gotta go pickup my hot wings (www.WingStop.com), return, eat, jack the ES up, pray I won't rub, install the spacers and behold my improved flushiness.
Old 09-08-08, 05:48 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

goodluck. ive already installed mine. it was rather easy. straightforward. any questions feel free to ask. and if i may, did you get hubcentric rings?

Charley
Old 09-08-08, 06:15 PM
steveo81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't post all that much, but i can't wait to see what the car looks like, should look sweet, your car looked so good already..... pics please.
Old 09-08-08, 09:33 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by charley240
goodluck. ive already installed mine. it was rather easy. straightforward. any questions feel free to ask. and if i may, did you get hubcentric rings?

Charley
It sure did.

Originally Posted by steveo81
i don't post all that much, but i can't wait to see what the car looks like, should look sweet, your car looked so good already..... pics please.
Thanks for the kind words, SteveO81! I'm loving the look already. Now you guys are gonna have to forgive the dirt and dust. It rained here today and she got a bit dirty.

Before:

Last edited by Slooooooow; 09-08-08 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 09:36 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Install:

Incidentally, does anyone know what this doohickey is??:

Old 09-08-08, 09:43 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

After:
Old 09-08-08, 09:46 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

More After:

I promise some more photogenic shots that show the full benefit and results of this mod, once the weather clears up and I can get her back to her usual clean.
Old 09-08-08, 10:24 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

looks so much better. did you get the v1 or v2's?
and are those 25mm spacers? they dont look like it. my original studs didnt stick out that much. i dont think so at least. and that "doohickey" i believe is......? it is connected to the toe arm though.
Charley

Last edited by charley240; 09-08-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 04:59 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I got the version 2 spacers with the studs. They're 15mm.
Hoping to drive around on them a bit today and confirm that they're unnoticeable other than in the looks department.

You teased me on the doohickey...
I might have to post the pics of that thing in their own thread just to get an answer. I thought it might be something for load-leveling, but as far as I know, the 2nd gen ES didn't have an active suspension.

Originally Posted by charley240
looks so much better. did you get the v1 or v2's?
and are those 25mm spacers? they dont look like it. my original studs didnt stick out that much. i dont think so at least. and that "doohickey" i believe is......? it is connected to the toe arm though.
Charley

Quick Reply: [ES Mods/Wheels] Don'tcha hate it when...