ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension and brakes for my 97 es.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 04:23 PM
shinrekka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and brakes for my 97 es.

-Im going to be upgrading the suspension on my 97 Es300. I was wondering, im going to be ordering kyb gr2 shocks and tein s-tech springs for a solara or camry if they dont have it for the es300, as far as I know that works.

-Anyone know of any sway bars or strut tower bars? Havnt seen any for the ES other then an ADDCO rear sway bar.

-Brake upgrades? How about using stock supra brakes? Anyone try that? I know there are slotted rotors, EBC brake pads and steel braded lines but if im going to get all that anyway I might as well just fully upgrade to bigger brakes while im at it.
Old 12-06-07, 04:25 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do your OEM brakes have a hard time stopping your car?
Old 12-06-07, 04:54 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to cl first of all

nice pads, newly resurfaced rotors, and complete brake bleed go a long ways.
i just added the front and rear sways as well as a bunch of other stuff. the swaybars are a PITA, even with all the front end suspension parts removed. you should look into just a rear TRD swaybar. i upgrade both on mine because i dont want body roll, but others will disagree.

list of front end components that i just did.
LCA bushing - energy suspension
Moog swaybar endlinks -front and rear
whiteline swaybars - front and rear
Moog tie rod ends
Moog balljoints
repacked CV boots.
expect some downtime. this is not hard, but just time consuming.
have a buddy help.
Charley
Old 12-06-07, 09:58 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Are you going to be taking your ES to the track or something? If not then you can really amp up the performance through pads, rotors, SS lines, and new fluid.

The tire rack is a good place to start, and feel free to shop around for pricing, but that's where I got my parts for my 240sx because I didn't feel like wasting any time trying to save pennies.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...7&autoModClar=

I can vouch for hawk pads. get I'd get the performance ceramic (which I might even order for myself by the end of the year) if I were you. If you want something a little more aggressive get the HPS pads. Just keep in mind they make aggressive track and also mild street pads for a reason. Obviously everyone wants more stopping power, but there are disadvantages, too. The HPS pads are most likely going to make more dust, and wear things out faster as well (either the pads themselves, or the rotors). I'm sure the other brands there are fine as well though because I doubt Tire Rack is going to support off brand crap, and of course Brembo's aren't too shabby. When I do my brakes this month, if I need new rotors, I'm probably going to get Brembo rotors.

The stainless steel brake lines are something that I'm going to consider, and you should as well. They will improve the way the pedal feels and get rid of that "spongy" feeling. If you decide to get the lines, it would also be a good time to upgrade your brake fluid as well to something with higher rating if you think your driving style permits it or maybe if you've already cooked your brakes and know you need to.

Don't forget to get a sticky set of tires as well though. Those are your only four contact points with the road, and even with some crazy 6 piston front brakes up front and 4 pistons in the back, they won't do anything if you're running bald 205 width tires.

After all of those things are considered (which is a pretty big and somewhat costly list depending on your budget, but don't forget you'd have to get them anyway) I think you'll have a very nice street braking set up. If you're planning on road racing or something with your ES (which I doubt) then by all means go all out on some big brake kit because you'll want it to prevent the brake fade you'll encounter. And if this is the case, then props to you sir.

And I guess I could see getting the big brakes if you're building a show car as well because 19-20" rims with tiny little rotors peeking through is kind of weak.
Old 12-09-07, 04:28 PM
shinrekka
Driver School Candidate

its a good combination of many things, Im going to get larger wheels so of course big brakes would look quite a bit better. Enhanced braking would be nice, i travel alot, and of course its also something to look foward too. I know about all those brake upgrades for factory braking system. But at the same time i could just get everything for a larger system and get supra calipers and brackets (just an example, dont know if they work)

Also if its to much of pain in the *** to do it myself like the sway bars ill just pay to have them done no big deal, i get a huge discount at shop because of where i work.
Old 12-09-07, 04:50 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I had Tein S-Tech and KYB GR-2 on my old ES and it was a good setup. I had some ebay strut bar but I doubt it helped with much. I hear Whiteline makes front and rear sways that help a lot with the handling.

I think the most overlooked handling mod is new wheels. When I upgraded to SC430 18's, I increased my track two inches on boths sides, and the offsets were lower too. Even with stock suspension, it handled better.
Old 12-09-07, 07:10 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Even with stock suspension, it handled better.
yeah, the factory 15's i had were puny. when you rocked the car, the only thing rocking were the sidewalls.