ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil Filters - Toyota vs Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-07, 04:40 PM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Filters - Toyota vs Lexus

I was looking at an oil filter the my ES330 and noted that it uses the same oil filter as my '96 Toyota Avalon. So I called both the Lexus dealer and the Toyota dealer and asked about the pricing on the filter - $10.31 at the Lexus dealership and $3.95 at the Toyota dealer - and they are right across the streey from each other! I have to assume that the filters are identical outside of the name? Keep that in mind when buying your next part from the Lexus Dealership!
Old 12-06-07, 04:47 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

yeap, a lot of different parts are cross referenced with toyota parts. they toyota parts guys know me now as the guy with the lexus. smart move.
Charley
Old 12-07-07, 04:44 AM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

I could not believe the price difference. I opened the hood on my new ES and was curious if the filter the Lexus dealer was using at least said "Lexus" on it to justify the higher price and it is the exact same, with the "Toyota" name on it. For those of you that have purchased does it at least come in Lexus packaging? I guess they need higher margins to pay for that showroom and waiting area with wireless connection and the large flat screen TV's!!
Old 12-07-07, 07:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

K&N has a good cross-reference tool for their HP-1002 filter, which also fits my RX300 along with your ES330, here is a list of other vehicles that can use it, http://www.knfilters.com/search/appl...x?Prod=HP-1002
Old 12-07-07, 10:26 PM
P-Dogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a Toyota its the same thing the box says toyota on it for both lexus and toyota they just charge you more because they got the fancy showroom and free water water bottles with lexus stickers on it in the waiting room
Old 12-07-07, 10:53 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

One of the local Toyota dealerships here has a Lexus dealership right next door to it. In fact, they share the same outside lot and customer parking lot and both stores are owned by the same outfit. And, there is not one speck of difference in how either showroom looks on the inside - other than the brand of cars that are on display. Looking around inside at the emmenities, you could be in either building, except that in one of them, the parts department charges three times the price for exactly the same part you could get in the building right next door...

Last edited by Lexucan; 12-07-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-08-07, 12:05 PM
benny20
Rookie

We would go down the Toyota route for the filter as here in the UK the ES300 to a certain sense is classed as windom, or most parts are based on the CamryV6 2.5
Old 12-08-07, 08:19 PM
Colpup ES3
Rookie

ive never been to my local lexus dealer lol, i just go to the toyota dealership. and if all ur lexus dealers give out is water bottles thats kinda pathetic. the toyota i go to gives out free cookies, coffee, and actual mugs with toyota logos on it.
Old 12-08-07, 08:28 PM
silver2000
Rookie

We are assuming that the inspection and quality control standards are the same between the 2 different parts then the price difference is stunning

Its been published that Lexus quality control standards are MUCH more strict than Toyota

That can be seen in the build quality and fit and finish differences between the 2
Old 12-08-07, 10:16 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silver2000
We are assuming that the inspection and quality control standards are the same between the 2 different parts then the price difference is stunning

Its been published that Lexus quality control standards are MUCH more strict than Toyota

That can be seen in the build quality and fit and finish differences between the 2
The parts are exactly the same. We're not talking about build quality, just oil filters here.
Old 12-09-07, 10:32 AM
silver2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by sonyman
The parts are exactly the same. We're not talking about build quality, just oil filters here.
You may be right BUT Are you certain ? How do you know ?

Everything has build quality and inspection standards
Everything from the raw materials to the tooling used to make the parts to the sub assemblies and finally the finished product
Its been published many times that Lexus standards are higher than Toyota
Old 12-09-07, 10:55 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Actually there is a difference. If you go to the Toyota dealership, they will give you a yzzG1 filter, which is a made in America. The Lexus dealership carries the yzzD1 filter, which is the exact same size, but made in Japan and of much better quality. If you don't believe me go buy one of each for yourselves and look at them. The D1 comes pre-oiled and wrapped in plastic, and has a bypass valve and nicer elements. There is a reason they cost more, but it shouldn't cost $10. The parts guy at my dealership gives them to me for $5 even, so they definitely have plenty of room to wiggle on the prices.
Old 12-09-07, 11:20 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MCG33
Actually there is a difference. If you go to the Toyota dealership, they will give you a yzzG1 filter, which is a made in America. The Lexus dealership carries the yzzD1 filter, which is the exact same size, but made in Japan and of much better quality. If you don't believe me go buy one of each for yourselves and look at them. The D1 comes pre-oiled and wrapped in plastic, and has a bypass valve and nicer elements. There is a reason they cost more, but it shouldn't cost $10. The parts guy at my dealership gives them to me for $5 even, so they definitely have plenty of room to wiggle on the prices.
You can order the same part either place. Just ask specifically for the YZZD1 if that's what you want. They will be identical at both places. That said, both the D1 and the G1 have a bypass valve-that's a standard part of any filter. Both probably also have silicone anti-drainback valves and they both probably filter within 5% of each other. I doubt a UOA would so any difference at all in filtration. All Denso filters are extremely high quality.
Old 12-09-07, 11:22 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by silver2000
You may be right BUT Are you certain ? How do you know ?

Everything has build quality and inspection standards
Everything from the raw materials to the tooling used to make the parts to the sub assemblies and finally the finished product
Its been published many times that Lexus standards are higher than Toyota
The cars and associated components, maybe, but not a damn oil filter! Toyota and Lexus cars use the same filters where applicable. If the part number is the same, the parts are the same.
Old 12-10-07, 01:04 PM
silver2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by sonyman
The cars and associated components, maybe, but not a damn oil filter! Toyota and Lexus cars use the same filters where applicable. If the part number is the same, the parts are the same.
Im confused

2 posts back it was made pretty clear that the parts arent the same - not even made in the same factory.

Which sorta proved the point I was trying to make

PS an oil filter is a component of the car - its at least as important as any other part - maybe more - The fit and finish of the interior wont leave you stranded - an oil filter can

Quick Reply: Oil Filters - Toyota vs Lexus