ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Breaks Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 07:59 PM
dante1616
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks Problem

Hey all, this might sound like a dumb question but I am so sick of having mecanics screwing me over. So I was wondering whats the average cost for changing front and back brakes? I got estimates for $200.00 for just front brakes. I will only use ceramic brakes so is that expensive? And would it more cost effective if I buy brakes seperate and just have the guy install them?

I have stock 1995 es300... What ceramic brakes does everyone prefer and what dimensions should I buy? I noticed there r hundreds of sizes and brands and I dont wana buy the wrong one that wont fit my car. Thanks again!

Last edited by dante1616; 12-13-07 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 11:15 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

The easiest way to solve the dumb question is to spell "brakes" properly. As far as pricing on brake parts, try tirerack.com
Old 12-10-07, 06:23 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I just use OE pads and rotors on my car and install it myself. They work fine and dont squeal/pulsate.
Old 12-11-07, 11:41 AM
Instructor

1) Go to kragen/autozone and ask for 95 ES300 Ceramic Brake Pads.

2) It should around $100 or less for all 4 ceramics.

3) Learn how to change the brake pads, it's not that hard. Look in the repair manual.
Old 12-11-07, 11:59 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, its actually very simple to change brakes. all that is needed is really just a jack and lugnut and 14mm wrench(which should be in your trunk already) a torque wrench and a c-clamp to drive the piston of the caliper back in. very very simple.
i use OEM akebono ceramic brake pads. dont use semi metallics unless you plan to change your brake pads every 6mos and need the braking power, which i doubt youll need.
goodluck
Charley
Old 12-11-07, 01:19 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
I just use OE pads and rotors on my car and install it myself. They work fine and dont squeal/pulsate.
+1

If It's not OE, It probably doesn't belong on your car.
Old 12-11-07, 04:09 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BadViper22
+1

If It's not OE, It probably doesn't belong on your car.
that being said, why do you have non OE intake and springs on your car?
Old 12-11-07, 05:27 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Eyemfaster
Thats quite a response there for only 34 posts
Old 12-11-07, 06:19 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Man I wish I could smack you up...

I enjoy throttle performance(And yes a little "bling" as the kids will say now-adays), so I made an intake. Okay?
And lower springs are a must for people who want to enjoy their ride...

When I say OE belongs on your car I'm talking about maintainence items such as spark plugs, valves, oil filters, brake pads, pumps, belts, and an assortment of other items in that general category.
Old 12-11-07, 09:34 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Thats quite a response there for only 34 posts
OK, so what exactly do your 600 posts mean? Post count means nothing. What if I go post 1000 times on here? Does that make me some sort of Lexus master tech? Post count doesn't mean anything, but just for you I'll let you know I have 284 posts on Maxima.org because that was my last car, which I didn't really even care to mod. And let's see... 1500 posts on my local 240 forum? Not that those numbers mean anything because I know people with double my post count that know half as much and have done half as much. That being said, there are a ton of people on the other side of the spectrum whose knowledge and experience would blow mine away. The only reason my post count is so low is because I just started looking around here. I'm looking around for a nice clean LS or SC actually. But that won't keep me from posting on here seeing as how I do daily drive an ES.

So mister 600 posts: What exactly have you done to your ES that makes you so special? I see you have some spark plugs and wires. Very impressive. Probably couldn't learn how to do that til what, 90 posts? A little suspension work too?! Wow. I need to post on here more often. Maybe one day I'll learn how to install Sylvania Silverstar bulbs!

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a direct at you as a person or anything. Well not entirely. It's more of a rant against people who think that post counts are like life skill points or something. And I don't really like being called out, especially by people who can't really back up their talk.

And as far as BadViper22, I'm just playin with yah. I'm sure you didn't mean the OEM thing that literally. However, I think there are a couple after market companies out there that can give OEM parts a run for the money even when making maintenance parts.
Old 12-12-07, 05:23 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

OK, so what exactly do your 600 posts mean? Post count means nothing. What if I go post 1000 times on here? Does that make me some sort of Lexus master tech? Post count doesn't mean anything, but just for you I'll let you know I have 284 posts on Maxima.org because that was my last car, which I didn't really even care to mod. And let's see... 1500 posts on my local 240 forum? Not that those numbers mean anything because I know people with double my post count that know half as much and have done half as much. That being said, there are a ton of people on the other side of the spectrum whose knowledge and experience would blow mine away. The only reason my post count is so low is because I just started looking around here. I'm looking around for a nice clean LS or SC actually. But that won't keep me from posting on here seeing as how I do daily drive an ES.

So mister 600 posts: What exactly have you done to your ES that makes you so special? I see you have some spark plugs and wires. Very impressive. Probably couldn't learn how to do that til what, 90 posts? A little suspension work too?! Wow. I need to post on here more often. Maybe one day I'll learn how to install Sylvania Silverstar bulbs!

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a direct at you as a person or anything. Well not entirely. It's more of a rant against people who think that post counts are like life skill points or something. And I don't really like being called out, especially by people who can't really back up their talk.

And as far as BadViper22, I'm just playin with yah. I'm sure you didn't mean the OEM thing that literally. However, I think there are a couple after market companies out there that can give OEM parts a run for the money even when making maintenance parts.
Get the violins out already.

I chose not to go crazy modding my car because its too cherry, thank you. But I have more than the ability to do so if I wanted to. Its my decision not yours. BTW I did the tune up in an hours time and have had the plenum off so many times I could do it blindfolded. Kinda like you replacing the exhaust on your Maxima for the 7th time. What else you wanna talk about?
Old 12-12-07, 06:32 PM
dallison
Intermediate

you can get all the rotors and pads for about $250 for good quality parts and do it your self.

now for the other matter at hand, you guys arguing about who has the biggest ****. amount of time on a forum means jack. i have more posts on one forum than prob everyone in here on most of their forums combined. it is embarrasing but somehow i have accrued almost 25,000 on one forum.

does that make me smarter, hell no, i don't know **** about the cars now on the forum
Old 12-13-07, 01:50 AM
dante1616
Driver School Candidate

holy **** lol 25,000? No offence but man... thats a butt load. I know u got the car man cause u drive a lexus but... we need to find u a lady to go with it. lol jk man. People like u make this forum what it is. I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone. Thanks again

to continue post...
Where do I go to find out how to put on the breaks by myself? I am a college student and dont have the cash to spend on instalation and DESPERITLY NEED BRAKES. I always wanted to learn but nobody to teach me. Anyone know of any websites that gives details descriptions on how to install brakes on a 1995 es 300? Thanks again all!
Old 12-13-07, 03:23 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Get the violins out already.

I chose not to go crazy modding my car because its too cherry, thank you. But I have more than the ability to do so if I wanted to. Its my decision not yours. BTW I did the tune up in an hours time and have had the plenum off so many times I could do it blindfolded. Kinda like you replacing the exhaust on your Maxima for the 7th time. What else you wanna talk about?
Yeah, my Maxima had stock exhaust actually. It wasn't a project car. I'm not saying you should build some $50K show car out of your ES, and yeah you're right what you do with your car is your business. Hell, the only thing mine has are wheels and tires, and it will probly stay that way until it's sold hopefully soon since I've got my eyes on a sweet 97 240sx). Only problem with your post was the assumption that post count has any relevance to real experience.

and 25K posts is nuts! how long have you been on there?

and to the OP: see if you can find a haynes or chilton (no idea how to spell those) manual at autozone or oriley's for your car. they're pretty good manuals to learn how to do maintenance things to your car. like removing the plenum blindfolded.
Old 12-13-07, 04:56 PM
dallison
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dante1616
holy **** lol 25,000? No offence but man... thats a butt load. I know u got the car man cause u drive a lexus but... we need to find u a lady to go with it. lol jk man. People like u make this forum what it is. I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone. Thanks again

to continue post...
Where do I go to find out how to put on the breaks by myself? I am a college student and dont have the cash to spend on instalation and DESPERITLY NEED BRAKES. I always wanted to learn but nobody to teach me. Anyone know of any websites that gives details descriptions on how to install brakes on a 1995 es 300? Thanks again all!

:rofl: married to a woman for 2.5 years

you realistically only need a couple simple tools to replace the brakes.

you obviously need to remove the tire.

you will need

a c-clamp and the old brake pad
ratchet
a couple sockets; i think 14 mm for the caliper bolts and 17 or 18 mm for the bracket.

and maybe a breaker bar if it has been a while since they have been removed.

i know there is a link here, i'll check for you, it comes with pics

Quick Reply: Breaks Problem