ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Guy with 94 ES - pics - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 07:44 AM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with 94 ES - pics - questions

hey Guys!

Just got my "new" 94' Lexus ES300. I got to say that its very nice car and so far I like it a lot!
I came here from Honda-tech.com and I still have My JDMed Integra but its in the storege now and I will be all around my new car! I have nothing bad to say about my hondas ( i had about 5 Integras, 3 Accords and a few Civics) but I think this is a pretty good time to grow up and get something differet.
I got it as is and it needs a lot of work. Nothing big, looks like usual stuff:

1. Heated seats ( I works, but VVVveeerrryyy slow)
2. Claster and stereo bulbs
3. trunk release button desnt work
4. Power steering pump makes crazy sounds
5. tail lights (i guess its groud problem)
6 Engine Check light is on.

Those problems I found right away on the first day driving my car. I got a lot of info about dash lights, it looks like easy to fix that, but nothing about seats, trunk..... I need some help with that....

Here a few pics of my ES!

here is my Teg

Thanks!!!
Old 12-20-07, 08:19 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, welcome to CL ! You'll find lots of invaluable info here on all things Lexus. Using the SEARCH function will usually result in a list of options for various issues.

1) Heated Seats: being slow to heat up is pretty typical with these cars. Could upgrade your alternator.

2) Looks like your A/C display has a problem. Try tapping around the display in that area with your finger. Sometimes a backlight bulb gets loose and a good tap will bring it back to life. If not, do a search. You'll find info on replacing the LCD or the bulbs behind it.

3) Check the button in your glove compartment. It ables/disables the trunk release on the drivers door.

4) Check your power steering fluid level. Could be low. Might have a leaky pump.

5) What's the problem? Bulbs out? Brake lights not working?

6) Check for codes. Do a search of "OBDI" or "CEL".

BTW, nice ES you have there. Like the colour Looks like you're having a typical Ottawa in December too! We're still on the golf courses out here on the west coast
Old 12-20-07, 08:22 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

to ClubLexus and the ES Forum in particular.

It looks like you've got a nice one there! If the power steering is making bad noises I HIGHLY recommend getting her up and checking over the entire system sooner than later. If you have a power steering leak, the fluid can and will corrode any components around the leak!

Throw any of those 6 "usual items" into the forum's search tool and you're going to find a WEALTH of information about any of them, plus you'll probably stumble across some funny stories too.

Good luck, and keep us up to date with repairs and mods.

P.S. - What's the white stuff all over the car and ground and trees in those pics? Is that "snow" that we here in Texas only hear and dream about??
Old 12-20-07, 11:57 AM
TORTOISE
Lead Lap

Welcome!

The lex looks hot.
Your teg is ****in sick. I wanted a teg so bad before i got my lexus. What motor you got?
Old 12-20-07, 12:25 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i never saw what it looks like with the headlights changed- -- it looks totally unique and wacky. I would never have guess integra becaues the headlight assembly throws me off that much. It resembles a 92-97 V6- Mazda 626 hatch, africa/ east asia
[non usa model]
Old 12-20-07, 04:47 PM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexucan
First off, welcome to CL ! You'll find lots of invaluable info here on all things Lexus. Using the SEARCH function will usually result in a list of options for various issues.

1) Heated Seats: being slow to heat up is pretty typical with these cars. Could upgrade your alternator.

2) Looks like your A/C display has a problem. Try tapping around the display in that area with your finger. Sometimes a backlight bulb gets loose and a good tap will bring it back to life. If not, do a search. You'll find info on replacing the LCD or the bulbs behind it.

3) Check the button in your glove compartment. It ables/disables the trunk release on the drivers door.

4) Check your power steering fluid level. Could be low. Might have a leaky pump.

5) What's the problem? Bulbs out? Brake lights not working?

6) Check for codes. Do a search of "OBDI" or "CEL".

BTW, nice ES you have there. Like the colour Looks like you're having a typical Ottawa in December too! We're still on the golf courses out here on the west coast
Thanks man! a lot of good info, will check alternator, ps pump, glove compartment...
The problem with the tail lights I guess is bad ground, but I didnt check those bulb yet, so I hope im gonna fix that.
....and yes, snow is everywhere now, 50+cm for a few days is great for all snowboardes like me! this is not typical for December tho.... usually we have that much snow in late January

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
to ClubLexus and the ES Forum in particular.

It looks like you've got a nice one there! If the power steering is making bad noises I HIGHLY recommend getting her up and checking over the entire system sooner than later. If you have a power steering leak, the fluid can and will corrode any components around the leak!

Throw any of those 6 "usual items" into the forum's search tool and you're going to find a WEALTH of information about any of them, plus you'll probably stumble across some funny stories too.

Good luck, and keep us up to date with repairs and mods.

P.S. - What's the white stuff all over the car and ground and trees in those pics? Is that "snow" that we here in Texas only hear and dream about??
thanks! i tryed to use that search button, found a lot of info about cluster bulb, looks like an easy job to fix this problem, im thinking to do it this or next weekend, but i had less luck with heated seats tho.... will keep searching!

Originally Posted by TORTOISE
Welcome!

The lex looks hot.
Your teg is ****in sick. I wanted a teg so bad before i got my lexus. What motor you got?
yo yo yo! thanks!
this summer I got a JDM B20b. I love the torque! Got 15.1 sec this summer with ITR clutch and cold air intake.

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
yeah i never saw what it looks like with the headlights changed- -- it looks totally unique and wacky. I would never have guess integra becaues the headlight assembly throws me off that much. It resembles a 92-97 V6- Mazda 626 hatch, africa/ east asia
[non usa model]
this is JDM front end, sold in Japan and Europe. Its pretty nice and rare mod for an Integra! In Ottawa we got about 10 cars like that.
Old 12-20-07, 04:50 PM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

Also, i have a question about the tail lights. will 95+ tail lights fit my 94?
Old 12-20-07, 08:27 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NICES300
Also, i have a question about the tail lights. will 95+ tail lights fit my 94?
They will, except you will have to remove your trunk key-hole, which some people need, some don't. And it might look weird with a black hole there, but I'm sure you could fill it with something, go for it.

Ohh, and your top bulb will have to dangle freely behind the housing since there is no place for it in the 95-96's.
Old 12-21-07, 04:32 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi NICES300,

Welcome to the club!

Nice car too. You will find all the help you need on this site. Great bunch of people from all over the world - including me from Australia!

As others have mentioned, use the search function in the forums first and you will be surprised at the amount of info you can find. You will also discover plenty of tips that will save you heaps of $$$

LEX ES300
Old 12-21-07, 07:50 AM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BadViper22
They will, except you will have to remove your trunk key-hole, which some people need, some don't. And it might look weird with a black hole there, but I'm sure you could fill it with something, go for it.

Ohh, and your top bulb will have to dangle freely behind the housing since there is no place for it in the 95-96's.
does it worth it? i mean... I just dont like that es300 "logo" on tail light and thats it.

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi NICES300,

Welcome to the club!

Nice car too. You will find all the help you need on this site. Great bunch of people from all over the world - including me from Australia!

LEX ES300
nice! Im in Canada now, but I came here from mother Russia 5 years ago (thats why my English is not so good sometimes
Old 12-22-07, 07:18 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

did you install hid on your es, or am i just seeing things, but nice car, i really love how canadian cars have the headlight washers, but the u.s. cars don't it sucks
Old 12-22-07, 10:51 AM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmd93
did you install hid on your es, or am i just seeing things, but nice car, i really love how canadian cars have the headlight washers, but the u.s. cars don't it sucks

hey! those are just a JDM 9006 bulbs, I got them from Japan with my ITR front end cut for my Integra. and this is new for me to know that you guys dont have those headlight washers, they work perfect!
Old 12-22-07, 02:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

lol, well we don't our rx has em, but i really want em on our es and lx, but id be ok with the wipers for the headlights like the one on my benz or the ones on volvos. they really help when headlights get dirty for the salt and such during the winter you know?
Old 12-23-07, 11:51 AM
NICES300
Driver School Candidate

I remember some Russian cars with with the wipers for the headlights