ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Keep it or Dump it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 02:24 AM
Delta Kilo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it or Dump it?

Hey guys, first post, so hows everybody doing?

K, so i had my 1996 ES300 for about two years now. Bought from a family friend ,who worshipped it, for a pretty good price. No problems, kept up to date, everything replaced when it should have been, all in all, it was in top shape. I tried to keep up the good work for a whole year, that is until my money (and my employment) left me. Struggling to pay for gas, much less any work, the car went back to its feral state. Late oil changes, never replaced anti freeze, everything that you can imagine.

Coming around into the new year, I got a new job, steady flow of income and all that stuff, so i come to a point in my life where i have to decide: keep it or sell it, save up money, and buy the coveted first gen IS300. Now this is a tough one, seeing as there needs to be a lot of things done to the car in order to sell it for a reasonable price. Even so, i will have to remain car-less for a few months to a whole year in order to save up enough money to buy the IS (no parents money here, can't get loans either).

So if you could be as to so kind as to deposit your two cents in form of a comment, please do - should i keep it or dump it on someone else?

Car stats are as follows:

1996 Lexus ES300; 138K miles (driven hard); no added mods.

Problems: extremely sluggish at starts (all ES's the same?); big gash in the driver's side column (aftermath of a failed break in); giant gash in the leather on the driver's seat (another victim of a break in with a brick...too bad there was nothing to take, the radio is stock); god knows whats going on under the hood; ... oh and yeah, a giant white splooge stain over the whole front of the car after a little accident with a pick up truck on the highway that was hauling white automotive paint (oh the irony)...(no collision, the bucket just fell off the back and i hit it head on at 70mp/h)
Old 12-30-07, 05:52 AM
palex
Rookie

I suggest keeping the car there are enough DIY information on this forum to take care of everything that you have listed except the paint. In the event that you get rid of the car and purchase something else or will probably still end up spending $ bring your new purchase up to par. Besides, you just landed a new job so take some time out and save money, while making the necessary repairs a little at a time.

The mileage that you have listed is not so high for these cars. Look around some of us have 200k miles or more.
Old 12-30-07, 06:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Tell me a bit more about your sluggish starts, i.e., what you notice.

I'd keep it for the moment. Keep something else in mind, the economy. I am back in the U.S. now for a bit, and I still do not see things on the upslope yet, still in the down direction. I would keep saving up $$$ and keep an eye on those IS300 prices in the meantime.

I know at least two people, one south of the border and one up here in DC who thought everything was okay with their job, bought a new car, and within a few weeks lost their job and they are still having a hard time finding work (they are taking odd jobs to survive).
Old 12-30-07, 07:01 AM
Delta Kilo
Driver School Candidate

By the sluggish start i mean the following: i am at a red light, as soon as it turns green, i gun it, expecting to feel the pull of some kind (i know the ES is not quite the performer), but instead i get this very dragged on launch with a very very slow wind up. I mean, i know it is not a racecar, but even my friend's golf with a 1.8 (auto) pulls a whole lot better. Needless to say it makes me feel very uncertain as to my ability to outgun some of the other daily drivers out there, you know, in case when the speed is the need.
Old 12-30-07, 07:07 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Well how did it run when it was in so called "top shape"? Its not a surprise that when you only put gas in it, its runs the way it does.
Old 12-30-07, 07:33 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta Kilo
By the sluggish start i mean the following: i am at a red light, as soon as it turns green, i gun it, expecting to feel the pull of some kind (i know the ES is not quite the performer), but instead i get this very dragged on launch with a very very slow wind up. I mean, i know it is not a racecar, but even my friend's golf with a 1.8 (auto) pulls a whole lot better. Needless to say it makes me feel very uncertain as to my ability to outgun some of the other daily drivers out there, you know, in case when the speed is the need.
Could be something as minor as a throttle-body in need of cleaning.

BTW, my ES is creeping up on 300K miles so yours should theoretically have lots of miles left in it.
Old 12-30-07, 07:49 AM
Delta Kilo
Driver School Candidate

After doing some searching on these forums, i think i will start by clearing the throttle body. After that i guess the sparkplugs and other goodies. The car has other problems, such as the cd player not working, the gash in the column, ripped leather, that kind of stuff, but i think i wouldn't have much trouble finding info about it. Except maybe on how to fix the gash...if you guys have any suggestions (bondo?), please fire away.
Old 12-30-07, 08:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

What is your rpm at idle?
Old 12-31-07, 02:47 PM
Delta Kilo
Driver School Candidate

My idle RPM is around 600-800 which i think is normal.
Old 12-31-07, 06:40 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Cl... My biased opinion says keep the ES and fix her up... How about some pics of your lex to apease the forum gods before they ban you for life...
Old 01-01-08, 10:24 AM
wignot
Driver School Candidate

You are wise to be thinking about this.

Keep it and save up the money until you can pay cash for your IS. Start fixing the problems starting with mechanical and life of car first and cosmetic items last.

PS, I would start thinking about pampering and babying your ES, otherwise you are just pouring cash in that proverbial hole in the ground.
Old 01-01-08, 11:44 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everyone....keep the ES. When buying another you never know what you're going to get so there's always a risk when buying someone elses stuff. I'd start off with the regular minor maintenance i.e. Air filter, seafoam treatment, coolant flush. As you get more $$ go for the tune up and if not already done the timing belt, water pump, etc.

FYI - if you haven't heard about Seafoam - most people here swears by it. At $8 a can its a god send. I just did it on my car and the engine is smooth like silk.
Old 01-06-08, 10:01 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

keep it, it aint worth much as it is.
Save your money.
Old 01-07-08, 02:55 AM
Delta Kilo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah after much delibiration (and arguments) i decided to keep it. I will take a whole bunch of pics to try and show what is wrong with the car and maybe create a little collage of pictures showing the progress. If anything i will post it in here.
Old 01-07-08, 06:01 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why didn't you get your insurance co. to fix the car after it was broken into and then damaged on the freeway? that's why we pay that money every month...

Quick Reply: Keep it or Dump it?