ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

96 es300 rough start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 12:12 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 es300 rough start

when i start up my 96 es300 while the engine's cold, like the engine bay(which you can then feel thru the steering wheel) shakes a LOT. you can feel everything shake, and it only shakes while i'm turning on the ignition. so, once the car is running and sitting idle, everything is smooth again. it's just really rough while turning the ignition. im not car savvy, so i have no clue why it does this. any ideas?

on a side note, i need to replace both of the fog light housing units and the bulbs. suggestions on where to buy some new ones? thanks!
Old 01-05-08, 04:35 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

try some seafoam
Old 01-05-08, 05:05 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calichris
try some seafoam
^^ Thats some good stuff..

I just used up 2 cans today...

Set the check engine light on, but its all good now

Car feels smoother in accelerating
Old 01-05-08, 07:35 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

edit: nvm, im an idiot. i'll give seafoam a try. can i buy it at advanced auto parts?
Old 01-06-08, 02:12 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I got mine from Autozone. But you can call and ask.

Im sure either pepboys, kragen, or advance will have it
Old 01-07-08, 09:20 AM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

i did the sea foam thing. with my car turned off, i put a whole can of it in my full gas tank. i poured 1/3 pint into a plastic cup, then i turned the car on(let it sit idle in park), unplugged the brake booster and quickly put my thumb over the end. sucked the stuff out of the cup in about 5 seconds and i plugged the end again with my thumb, then had my wife quickly turn off the car. i re-attached the brake booster and let it sit for 10 minutes. it started up, but barely. i thought it was gonna die on me, but it pulled thru. there was a good amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust, not LOTS, but a good amount. i let it sit there for about 5-10 minutes, then i put into neutral and revved the engine several times into the 5k-6k rpm range and what a sight to see. lol. white smoke everywhere. had my neighbors been outside, they would've got really pissed cuz the wind was blowing in their house's direction.

anyways, i waited for the smoke to die down a bit, then i took it for a quick spin. floored it but couldnt get to 5k rpms in first gear, but could in second gear. several times in fact. only drove it like 5-10 miles until the smoke went away. felt a little boost in performance and throttle response.

i let the car sit for several hours so that the engine would get cold(and we were waiting for a movie to start too). 4 hours later, the engine started quick. amazing, it was like brand new. but that was yesterday. today, the engine is back to having a rough start. not rough idle, just a rough start while turning the key. meh. it idles about 500-800 rpm, so i dunno if thats too low or not.

this morning i drove the pennzoil place to get my oil changed. while in the parking lot, i put 1/3 pint into my oil crank(or whatever its called lol) and let it sit there in park for 10 minutes. turned the car off and went inside to have them change it. no noticeable difference so far since i had the oil changed, but its only been a couple hours too.

im gonna use the last 1/3 of this stuff one more time thru the brake booster, then i'm gonna go get my spark plugs replaced at the toyota dealer. i hope they can fit me in early today cuz i have a long trip tomorrow.

tomorrow morning i head back home to Texas from Ohio(24 hour drive), so we'll see if i get a decent mpg increase. i was getting 28-29 mpg driving up here a week and a half ago, so i dont expect much more on the drive home.
Old 01-10-08, 01:16 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

meh, gas mileage didn't really improve on the way back home. however, there was more load in my car than there was on the way there. car still has rough starts sometimes, even after i had the spark plugs replaced. grrrrrr
Old 01-11-08, 07:54 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

one last update, car doesn't rough start anymore. starts up quick and smooth now. thanks for the seafoam suggestion, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.