ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Overheating...radiator questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 02:12 PM
msa13623
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating (More Discussion)

My '96 ES300 overheated when I started it on an icy day to let it run and melt off all the ice. The thermostat was bad, and it boiled all the coolant away and sat in the red zone for 5-10 mins. I went on ahead and replaced the water pump too (130k miles on the original). Since the overheating, I've noticed a burnt oil smell and dripping on the ground. Hard to tell exactly where the leaking is coming from. Appears to be around the heads (I can see weepage above the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine) but may be down lower in addition. There's no water in the oil and the dipstick is clean. I'm figuring, even though I'm seeing the oil looking OK, I lost the head gaskets. What could have gone out lower down that I need to look into? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-08, 02:48 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should change the engine oil, and clean the engine of any excess oil on the exterior.

After this is done, try driving and checking for burned oil smell again.

ALSO, since the engine overheated, the TRANSMISSION was also exposed to hot transmission fluid for the same period of time. If the fluid looks bad, then change that as well.

Responding to the head gasket issue, if they were blown, you would have notable symptoms. Take a compression check and see if you have a noticeable difference between any two cylinders. If there is no water in oil, or oil in water, and it is running smooth, I'd say that your gaskets escaped damage.

Good luck and stay in touch!
Thanks

Last edited by gserep1; 02-21-08 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 02:52 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GKenns
Haha actually I have moved on to the thermostat and it is a lot harder than i had anticipated. Where a lot of the thermostats are located where the upper radiator hose goes into the engine, mine is located at the end of the lower hose, which can only be accessed by removing the right front wheel and dust guard as well as the washer fluid and cooland resivoirs. The frame is so close to the housing that the 3 bolts that release the water intake housing can only be gotten off with a wobbler socket or a cornering extender. This could possibly be as hard as getting off the water pump!
thanks for sharing that with us, now i know where to look when it's due on my car! I just did a thermostat on my 96 camry 4 cycl. and like most cars it's on the end of the upper radiator hose
Old 02-21-08, 03:44 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msa13623
My '96 ES300 overheated when I started it on an icy day to let it run and melt off all the ice. The thermostat was bad, and it boiled all the coolant away and sat in the red zone for 5-10 mins. I went on ahead and replaced the water pump too (130k miles on the original). Since the overheating, I've noticed a burnt oil smell and dripping on the ground. Hard to tell exactly where the leaking is coming from. Appears to be around the heads (I can see weepage above the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine) but may be down lower in addition. There's no water in the oil and the dipstick is clean. I'm figuring, even though I'm seeing the oil looking OK, I lost the head gaskets. What could have gone out lower down that I need to look into? Thanks in advance.
Good luck with your overheating issues sems to be a common thing with the second gens. Just think if all else fails a nice jdm swap is always an option. Oh and most important WELCOME TO CL!!!
Old 02-22-08, 10:19 AM
msa13623
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked thru a lot of other threads and I think I have some common problems. I agree, I think the head gaskets are OK. I changed the oil and tranny fluid after the overheat. It's looking like it's the valve cover gaskets (I figure I'll replace the cam seals while I'm at it). I have the cursed leaky rear oil seal, but figure I'll do the valve covers first and then see if I can live with the oil seal. I'll be doing the motor mounts too. Great forum, very helpful info here.
Old 02-22-08, 03:15 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Yea I had similar problems, but I have a blown head gasket. It sucks but at least I only have to pay for the part and not the labor.