ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Driers side door won't open from outside, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 06:28 AM
Exupery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door problems - Lexus ES300 2003 Model

Hello,

I have an 2003 ES300 Lexus. Yesterday, when I tried locking the doors using my remote key or one of the the buttons on the driver's door, the front passenger side door and the door behind the driver would not lock nor respond to the remote. If locked, these 2 remain locked even if I pressed the unlock button or remote key. Same thing holds true when the doors are unlocked. If I tried the lock button, these 2 doors remain unlocked. Very odd. I checked my fuses to see if they were blown. They looked okay. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Thank you all for your insight.
Old 04-24-08, 01:24 PM
disconupe
Driver School Candidate

Default ES300 2002 with the same door lock issue

Hi everyone. I am having a version of this same issue. I see a lot of other members are frustrated as well. Anyone know where I can find diagrams/instructions for pulling the door panel and what I would expect to find once I have the panel off? I have a 2002 ES300 and my two front doors are messed up. And, your right, the dealer is paying for vacations with what they charge to fix this issue. What happened to Lexus quality. I switched from BMW and Mercedes and didn't expect this.
Old 04-24-08, 01:26 PM
disconupe
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Actuator is the issue

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I spoke with the d4ealer and the door actuator is bad. They tell me $600+ per door including labor. I'm pretty interested in fixing this for significantly less. So, I am currently looking for parts and diagrams and will gladly share any resources I find.
Old 04-28-08, 07:51 AM
jwiley
Driver School Candidate

And if you don't have access to the actual part, you can use a zip tie around the head of the linkage. My son and I did this for his 92 300 this weekend. It involved much trial and error, but we prevailed.

Learn from our lessons: 1. Do not attempt to remove the window. 2. If you do attempt to remove the window, do not re-install the front stop upside down, as doing so will prevent the window from going down more than an inch or two. 3. In order to get the zip tie around the head of the linkage you must first position the linkage head through the hole in the door handle, then, using fishing line and a modified grabber tool, place the zip tie over the head, while having an assistant pull up on the fishing line, release the grabber tool. Now take a long screwdriver and tighten the buckle on the zip tie...realll good.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures.
Old 08-06-08, 08:04 AM
noornnoor
Driver School Candidate

Hi, This information was quiet helpful for me. I removed the panel and the steel cover behind the plastic sheet. I can see part of the rod that connects to the door handle but I can only touch it by one finger. Is there a trick to this?

Last edited by noornnoor; 08-06-08 at 08:10 AM. Reason: mis quoted
Old 08-07-08, 01:17 PM
p_action
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how this popped up, I had to fix my passenger side door over the weekend.

I ended up using 2 zip ties to hold the metal rod in the hole, since the plastic piece was completely obliterated. Still working!

~ Peter
Old 02-22-10, 02:33 PM
LexusScorp
Driver School Candidate

Default Oh boy

Well I just joined and I'm already learning. My door has this problem. I have already taken off the panel to see what I need I just have yet to go to the dealership to get the pieces. Although noornnoor asked if there was a trick to it...I remember I can't get to the rod thing all that well but I guess I'll try again. I'm glad the clips are so cheap. I'll stop by on my day off this week and get pieces. I may take pics to help others since this seems to be a common problem!!!
Old 09-10-11, 08:59 PM
enterconne
Driver

What's the name of the clip so I can order it from Toyota?
Old 09-17-11, 01:33 PM
stat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OceanView
My 98 ES300 is acting weird today. For some reason, the driver's side door will not open from the outside. If I use the remote, the door unlocks but when I pull on the handle from the outside, it won't open. It will open from the inside.
Also, the window makes a grinding sound that never was there when I move it up or down.
There is also a strange gremlin with the lights not turning off unless I manually turn off the lights.

Anyone have any ideas?
We are having same issue except we can't open door from outside or inside! Same issue with headlights not turning off when on Auto setting. Anyone know how to get the door open?