ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Intro + Steering wheel compatibility/upgradability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 11:09 AM
ES420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro + Steering wheel compatibility/upgradability?

Hi guys
I'm from Palm Springs, socal. Got a hold of a clean 96 es300 with low miles, country club owners, a deal. However the steering wheel has some wear marks at the top of it. I dont wanna go aftermarket, but if I'm replacing it, maybe there's a nicer lexus one that might be compatible with mine. (tan)

Any wood grain oem wheels that I can put in mine?

thanks
Old 01-13-08, 06:13 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly, welcome to ClubLexus, and congrats on your ES ! We wanna see PICS by the way!

My steering wheel has some wear on the top too. About 8 months ago I had the cracks filled and the wheel redyed and clear coated by a guy who has a mobile business. It cost $75 and looked great for about 3 months. Then the wheel started to wrinkle along the top where my hand usually grabs it, and it's starting to look not so good again
So, after reading some positive reviews and seeing this pic of a Mazda5 owner who put a "Wheelskins" cover on his steering wheel, I decided I would do the same. I just ordered one from wheelskins.com ($54.95 for the EuroPerf type). Haven't got it yet.
I think the trick to making it look good is the way it's stitched on. If you do a poor job of stitching it on (loose or not enough stitches) it will probably look like ***, but when it's done right, like the one on the Mazda, I think they look pretty good.
Anyways, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new wheel. Just a thought as far as alternatives go.
Old 01-13-08, 10:49 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think wheels skins are a good alternative to cheap plastic wheel covers.
However, the colors do not match very well. (BTW the steering wheel should be a brown color)
If you want to spend more for an oem wheel, a leather steering wheel from 1997-2001 es300 will fit also.
Here is an example of a wood steering wheel from the 00-01 es.

In a black interior (Ariyanna's)
Old 01-13-08, 11:14 PM
ES420

tuan92129 I'm sold. thanks for the advice lexucan.

I do have to take a few snaps. I searched around and built my little gallery of 2nd gen es300s lol
I came from owning an 88 civic, an 89 accord, and recently a 95 civic so I was a little overwhelmed at first haha im loving it, feels great.
Old 01-16-08, 10:57 AM
NovaRacer
Driver School Candidate

To you guys/gals that have done the wood/leather steering wheel update, where did you get them?

I've seen a few on ebay, dealer is considerably higher than that.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-08, 11:02 AM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NovaRacer
To you guys/gals that have done the wood/leather steering wheel update, where did you get them?

Ebay would be your best bet. Also try the classified section of this forum.
Old 01-19-08, 08:16 AM
lexus72
Rookie

Originally Posted by NovaRacer

I have a '94 es300 black on black. I replaced my ratty leather steering wheel with a wood grain wheel like Arriyanna did. Got my 2001 wood wheel on ebay ($120), and found my '97 airbag from Car-part.com ($150). I was told to only purchase a '97 airbag for our model years (this way its just plug and play - no mods needed). A couple of things I learned in this process:

1. ANY Lexus steering wheel from ANY year will fit onto our es300's. The question is the airbag. I was told by a former lexus tech that you can easily use your '92-96 airbag module, with any lexus airbag cover. Basically, you remove the "soft pad" (cover) from the newer model airbag and put it over the '92-96 airbag that you currently own. Its actually not that hard to do and not nearly as technical as it sounds. Still, what I did and what Arriyanna did seems the easiest way to go, and I LOVE my wheel...

2. There is a proceedure to follow in terms of replacing your wheel as a DIY. ie. align wheels, remove neg terminal from battery, unscrew side screws from the airbag, disconnect airbag, use steering wheel puller(free rental from Autozone)... there is a proceedure in the search. HERE's my advice: you better know your stereo code first before removing the neg terminal or your screwed. Also, DO NOT EVER put the key into the ignition unless the airbag is attached. If you do, the on board computer will begin checking the system and will realize that the airbag is disconnencted - code 41 error. Now your screwed because the airbag indicator will light up until you perform the complex proceedure of shutting it off. (This happend to me)

That said, I love my DIY wood grain wheel replacement. And the DIY proceedure is NOT a diificult one, anyone could do it. This was the best $300 I spent on my car, and made owning an older es well worth it....
Old 01-19-08, 09:40 AM
ES BL155
Pole Position

i bought mine a few weeks ago on this forum
Old 01-19-08, 02:23 PM
ES420

Originally Posted by lexus72
I have a '94 es300 black on black. I replaced my ratty leather steering wheel with a wood grain wheel like Arriyanna did. Got my 2001 wood wheel on ebay ($120), and found my '97 airbag from Car-part.com ($150). I was told to only purchase a '97 airbag for our model years (this way its just plug and play - no mods needed). A couple of things I learned in this process:

1. ANY Lexus steering wheel from ANY year will fit onto our es300's. The question is the airbag. I was told by a former lexus tech that you can easily use your '92-96 airbag module, with any lexus airbag cover. Basically, you remove the "soft pad" (cover) from the newer model airbag and put it over the '92-96 airbag that you currently own. Its actually not that hard to do and not nearly as technical as it sounds. Still, what I did and what Arriyanna did seems the easiest way to go, and I LOVE my wheel...

2. There is a proceedure to follow in terms of replacing your wheel as a DIY. ie. align wheels, remove neg terminal from battery, unscrew side screws from the airbag, disconnect airbag, use steering wheel puller(free rental from Autozone)... there is a proceedure in the search. HERE's my advice: you better know your stereo code first before removing the neg terminal or your screwed. Also, DO NOT EVER put the key into the ignition unless the airbag is attached. If you do, the on board computer will begin checking the system and will realize that the airbag is disconnencted - code 41 error. Now your screwed because the airbag indicator will light up until you perform the complex proceedure of shutting it off. (This happend to me)

That said, I love my DIY wood grain wheel replacement. And the DIY proceedure is NOT a diificult one, anyone could do it. This was the best $300 I spent on my car, and made owning an older es well worth it....
Thanks! that's one of the things on my list. There's a guy selling a 97-01 wood grain with tan leather (perfect for me) for $350!! on ebay.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I'm detailing it this weekend and will post after pix
Old 01-19-08, 03:06 PM
lexus72
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES420
Thanks! that's one of the things on my list. There's a guy selling a 97-01 wood grain with tan leather (perfect for me) for $350!! on ebay.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I'm detailing it this weekend and will post after pix
Yeah, I looked that one up - seems clean but EXPENSIVE! If you wait a little bit, another one will pop up on ebay eventually for much less. I've even seen some sell for under $50 before. Car-parts.com is really your best bet in my opinion, but you can't visually see the wheel while your on the phone with all the recyclers out there.

Look up the steering wheel replacement in the search and really think the proceedure through before you try this. Like I said, I put the key in the ignition without the airbag attached (wanted to make sure the wheels aligned with the steering wheel - so I drove around the block without an airbag) and tripped the airbag indicator. DUMB! (the lexus dealership reset it for me no charge, but that's only because I have 3 lexus' serviced with them). Also, when you buy your steering wheel, see if the seller has the 2 "knockout" panels on either side of the steering wheel. I forgot to inquire about them on mine and still haven't been able to find replacements.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 01-19-08, 05:31 PM
NovaRacer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response lexus72, I'll keep an eye out.

WB
Old 02-03-11, 03:28 PM
tt426
Driver School Candidate

i bought mine for only $30 but trying to find out if this will fit or not...

Last edited by tt426; 02-03-11 at 04:02 PM.