ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

turboing the es300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 05:37 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turboing the es300?

hey i know alot of people dont think its right to do it but i was just curious i've read alot of the other posts saying its stupid and what not but i want to research it more
that one guy turbo'd his camry and did 12.9 at the track
neone know him? i think tony leuong? but a guy in my city specializes in custom turbos and custom things for cars we are a small town and he said he can do a small turbo and be set at a low psi..(10psi)
now if i "so happen" to do that do you think i could run atleast 15's with just our engine and a 10psi turbo? because our cars are running 16.6 in a quarter mile i checked it up on stock quarter mile times
i was just wondering what the lexus experts have to say and NO im not a ricer im just doing a lil bit of research i understand its a luxury car but hey people make show cars because they are unique... i just am curious so if you dont have nothing good thats not information please dont say it
Old 01-30-08, 06:07 PM
pbbnxiltae
Pole Position

i talk to the owner of KAW motoring in miami, they specialize in turbos for toyota, and lexus and he told me ES300 engine is too weak so they need to rebuilt the whole engine and it would be too much money to do a custom turbo.

he recommanded me to swap my motor to scion TC 4 cycl motor n turbo it but then again it would cost alot of money.

so the cheapest way to go fast is put NOS
Old 01-30-08, 06:08 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

i thought nos was more unsafer?
the guy said as long as i can rebuild the bottom half and theres engine intervals i can buy to make the engine stronger i should beable to run 10 psi
tony leuong is pushing 12 right now well recommended 10-12
Old 01-30-08, 06:18 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbbnxiltae
i talk to the owner of KAW motoring in miami, they specialize in turbos for toyota, and lexus and he told me ES300 engine is too weak so they need to rebuilt the whole engine and it would be too much money to do a custom turbo.

he recommanded me to swap my motor to scion TC 4 cycl motor n turbo it but then again it would cost alot of money.

Or get a 3vz and turbo that. Huge rods and iron block, they can handle 400 horses once you get it tuned.
Old 01-30-08, 06:23 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

well the thing is... i dont really care too much about the power
i mean i want my car to be a bit faster but not running 13's would be nice but as long as i hit 15's or so wouldnt be so bad i mean the guy offered to do a small single turbo for under a grand and thats replacing some parts and turbo intercooler custom piping. but i really want it because ima make the outside look nice and if i pop the hood and be like ya i got a custom turbo? how cool would that be? i mean for under a grand and it works and is SAFE for my car heck why not... i just really inlove with blow off sound from turbo kits to be honest anyways

http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/CamryTurbo.html
tony's camry look into it he ran 12.9 with our engine

Last edited by rtk7; 01-30-08 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 06:39 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbbnxiltae

You are two thirds right about this. The 92-93 used the 3VZ-FE which has been proven that you can turbo (you just may blow a few head gaskets) ask mcelligott or just do a search on him. He has done it to his es already. Now if you are going to do that you might as well do the jdm swap as well. Now about that "turbo" guy you talked to there honestly has to be a better motor to turbo than that???? What about putting an MR2 motor in but I'm no motor guy possibly Phoenix would know better ask him?

Last edited by Choas; 01-30-08 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Originally said MX-5 motor ment MR2 motor.
Old 01-30-08, 06:40 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

where is phoenix by the way? the lexus king basically haha i havent seen him since i first joined like months ago
Old 01-30-08, 06:49 PM
pbbnxiltae
Pole Position

the guy i talked to said with 7.5G he can make me a good turbo which includes changin internals n auto transmission. but with 7.5g i can put a down payment on IS350
Old 01-30-08, 07:00 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

you would make it into the 15s with 5 psi of boost at sea level dude
Old 01-30-08, 07:12 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

I didn't say it was cost effective. I just said it was possible and for that much you could almost buy a gs400. Oh Phoenix is an OG just SEARCH on him
Old 01-30-08, 07:48 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

The 3VZ-FE is what several MR2 guys are swapping INTO their cars. And there's good reason for that.
The 3VZ-FE started Toyota's trend of severely overbuilding their production V6 engines. Having a larger forged steel crankshaft, and large cast rods, they are capable of more than doubling stock power output easily. With a few nitrous, and turbocharged examples matching, or exceeding 450 hp (336 kW) on both the stock engine, and stock engine management with a piggyback/interceptor controlling fuel/ignition.
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Everythings custom.

* custom intake
* custom intake manifold & throttlebody
* head porting & valve work (1mm oversized exhaust valves do fit)
* custom cams
* custom headers/collector or custom y-pipe
* high flow/delete cat
* high flow resonator
* high flow muffler
* piggyback to control ignition timing & somewhat fuel
* higher compression pistons (hah)
* stroked crankshaft & corisponding rods (hahaha)
* bored out cylinder sleeves & larger pistons (bawahahahahaha)
* knife edged crankshaft (ahhh hahahahahahahahahahahaha)
* lightening the engine/drivetrain components

Which is pretty much why you just do intake, make a y-pipe/cat & change cat back. Maybe get a piggyback. Mods cost money, and the only mod with a really good price / performance ratio normilly aspirated is a y-pipe.

Which is why most of us say do the basic mods, then:
1) buy a new car
2) spend $450-550 on ebay for a wet n2o kit
3) save for a turbo setup

Impossible to say. Figure... 340-400bhp N/A on a 9K, 9.5K, 10K rpm peak engine. But at extrordinary cost. You're literally talking about building a 10-20 grand engine.

Just do some basic mods, then save for a turbo, or n2o. N/A sucks. It's always expencive, and always a dead end. With FI, you can make whatever you want to, at infinately less cost, with no sacrafice on the powerband.
Originally Posted by mcelligott
Your best route is to just get an intake and exhaust. Everything else would be completely custom.

If you want to do a turbo youll need....injectors, fuel pump, turbo, flange, custom downpipe, custom collector pipe, intercooler piping, intercooler, s-afc, fmu, oil drain and feed lines, custom intake, a muffler or cat back/turbo back exhaust, blow off valve, wastegate, boost controller, and even more stuff if you want to have all the accessories to make your turbo experience painless and safe. Then you get to tune it which is another pain in the butt.
Nothing stupid about your desire to go faster and/or make more power with forced induction - specifically a turbo.
It's all just time and money.
Old 01-30-08, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Or send him a PM.... anyways if you got the cash, go for it. What ever you think you can do, you can always attempt it.
Old 01-31-08, 12:38 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

so i couldnt just slap a turbo on there and set it to even just 8 psi? without harming the motor? im just scared to put it on there and never being able to sell it
how many guys on here would be interested in a turbo'd es300? some would but how many would actually be willing to buy it?
Old 01-31-08, 01:28 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

8 psi whyyyyyyy

5 or 6 should be already putting the tires to their limits
Old 01-31-08, 04:42 PM
Instructor

I don't think many people would buy one unless the ES came with an OEM turbo... because turbo is good for rear wheel drive and awd cars... (my opinion)

Quick Reply: turboing the es300?