ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES300 new strut/springs installed -PROBLEMS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 12:11 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ES300 new strut/springs installed -PROBLEMS!!!

i tried to install my springs and struts last weekend but really f'd up my back and couldn't get the struts out. I went to Midas to get them installed today and when I go to pick it up my "ABS" light is on and my "Trac-off" light is flashing. The guy told me it was on when I dropped it off which is a complete lie. After arguing with him for 30mins he agreed to take care of it on Monday. Well when I go to drive my car the steering wheel isn't centered anymore (driving the car straight is now about 5-10* wheel turned to the right - but I HAVE NOT GOTTEN AN ALIGNMENT DONE YET) So I have a few questions that I hope I can call on the Lexus gods for:

1. Are the ABS and TRAC-OFF lights linked ie: something's wrong with the ABS, the traction controll system uses the ABS therefore it's not working properly

2. How could they screw up my ABS installing struts/springs?

3. Is my alignment off from the strut/spring install or did they screw something up with my steering system so now the wheel has to be tured 5-10* to the right to be straight?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 02-09-08, 07:50 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somebody probably broke one of the speed sensor wires whether it was Midas or yourself, or it was not plugged back in for whatever reason. Wait until you get an alignment done before you worry about the steering wheel being off. Thats kind of silly. Usually you do that immediately after suspension work, but I dont know why it wasnt. If the tie-rod end was disconnected, rotated and put back on, of course the wheel is going to be off. And to answer your question, ABS module needs to know wheel speed to properly control both ABS operation and traction control operation.
Old 02-09-08, 09:47 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 92ES5sp
Somebody probably broke one of the speed sensor wires whether it was Midas or yourself, or it was not plugged back in for whatever reason. Wait until you get an alignment done before you worry about the steering wheel being off. Thats kind of silly. Usually you do that immediately after suspension work, but I dont know why it wasnt. If the tie-rod end was disconnected, rotated and put back on, of course the wheel is going to be off. And to answer your question, ABS module needs to know wheel speed to properly control both ABS operation and traction control operation.
Thanks. I was going to get an alignment after it was done, but I figure I won't do that until after I get it fixed on monday...plus I'm not driving it and Midas is only 2 miles from my house. Hopefully it's a quick fix and the hungover guy working on my car just forgot to hook something back up. I'll get it aligned and hopefully the steering is back on track.
Old 02-09-08, 10:02 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

more than likely, midas messed up the abs sensor. A friend of mine did the same thing and it ended up costing him quite a bit just for 1 sensor. There's a sensor mounted to each strut i believe. Not sure how much they cost exactly but I think they were pretty expensive, around 200 a sensor.
Old 02-10-08, 06:50 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

After doing some searching, it really looks like one of the wheel speed sensors was broken by not supporting the disc/spindle apparatus. Hopefully there's just some metal attached to the magnet and it's quick and easy to fix. The Midas manager was PISSED when i was complaining about those lights. He told me I was just looking for him to fix all the problems I had with my car. He also pointed out a car in one of the bays that had some brakes/suspension done there and came back later that same day because of weird noises. Something was loose and they tightened it up. 3 days later her wheel fell off while she was driving. He also told me about the poor help he was getting and that he had 6 techs come and go in 1.5 months...What was he thinking telling me how shi**y this place was?!
Old 02-10-08, 11:54 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get that sensor replaced and it will fix everything . Same thing happened to me me

-Smitty
Old 02-11-08, 04:16 PM
dallison
Intermediate

fix it, you will get your abs and traction control back
Old 02-11-08, 04:38 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, this is why i always do car work myself. this stuff happened everytime when i got my first car. i said f-word it, ill figure this stuff out myself. i did brakes myself and oil changes, then taught myself clutch and engine work. always do a good and never have problems i cant solve. after having problems with alignments [the one thing i thought i couldnt do myself], i now do that myself .

point is, whoever did your car was cheap place, you need to speak with the manager and not be threatening. simply lay out the facts and explain how in each case you were wronged, and that you want to be made whole. also refer to warranties and get the phone number if there is one for the corporate headquarters.
Old 02-11-08, 05:26 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I left my car at Midas all day. They ran the codes, said there was a left rear ABS circuit fault (code 34). They replaced the left rear ABS sensor and the lights are still on. I had to pick up my car b/c I have work tomorrow, but he said he would be willing to look into it more if I can drop it off again.

1. He said the fault could be up passed the sensor wire that is new (but what is the chance that something up there went bad at the same time they were changing my struts?)
2. I unplugged my neg battery cable in a last ditch effort to clear the codes (I did it all the time on older domestics, but I doubt it works on the lex). Is there a way to clear codes that I don't know about? (code 34)

I try and do all my own auto work because then at least I know what I've done if there's a problem, but I seriously couldn't do this b/c of my back and wanted it done before my wheels showed up....really biting me in the *** now.
Old 02-11-08, 05:52 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

what i said

i would just have them work on the car for now on. dont touch it or they will use it against you. heck, even go with someone who knows nothing about cars and try to talk like they would or have them talk. catch my drift?
Old 02-12-08, 09:53 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Did anyone with this problem have to replace more than just the sensor?
Old 02-12-08, 06:35 PM
dallison
Intermediate

i would see if they would pay for the diagnostic at the toyota dealer, and that typhoon is a classic
Old 02-12-08, 08:05 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alaskaty
last ditch effort to clear the codes (I did it all the time on older domestics, but I doubt it works on the lex). Is there a way to clear codes that I don't know about? (code 34)
Hook up a scan tool and tell it to clear the codes works every time. On another note after seeing your sig mentioning the typhoon I had to go look up what is was. All I have to say is that IS SO SWEET that you have one its like part of car history
Old 02-13-08, 04:56 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah defintely have the codes scanned to make sure its the ABS Sensor.

Typhoon is definitely a classic. I got a friend who has the Cyclone and its hilarious to see peoples faces when they hear his BOV. We spanked a mustang the other day in that thing

-Smitty
Old 02-13-08, 06:48 AM
Specter
Driver

The first mistake was to take it to Midas. I don't know how they are where your at but here in Califas they are worthles, thiefing POS. Good luck, Specter

Quick Reply: 98 ES300 new strut/springs installed -PROBLEMS!!!