ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

94 es300

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 12:18 AM
faithless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 94 es300

On Monday I bought a 1994 es 300. The engine does have 226k miles on it. The body has only minor dings, no rust to be found. The paint on most of the car is only slightly blemished or scratched except for the roof and hood. The hood has quite a bit of oxidation, but the roof has spots where it is worn very thin. It did have a CEL and ABS light on but have gotten the codes which is 401 on the CEL which is egr is not getting enough flow for it. The ABS came up with 35 and 37 which are speed sensor on LF for 35 and for 37 is there is a open circuit on LF and RR. There is also noise coming from the rear end which from myself and my father(who worked at a Toyota dealer for 8yrs) has come to relies it needs new shocks in the back. The interior is almost flawless for being a '94 none of the seats have any scratches tears or any unusual blemishes to be found. The radio and CD changer are not working right now. The 2 of the 4 lighted gauge arms are flickering(temp/fuel) 1 is dead(tach) and the speedo is working with no problems.

I have driven it quite a bit today and am just falling in love with this car in so many ways

So for what I have explained is wrong what would be the best way to go about to getting them fixed. Have found the shocks will be 65-75 depending on unsealed vs sealed. The egr valve is $219 from Naoa(get a discount there) Other than that not sure on what else to do that can be done with my knowledge on this car.

Was also gonna ask what socket the bulbs on the projectors are I have found bulbs that are 9005-9007 and h3? Okay found out 9005 is low 9006 is high and h3 is fog got this from piaa's site.

Gonna add rough plans for the car. First step is to get the car into a very reliable running order. Along with minor touches to the car. Second step would be to get the car repainted to have a nice pretty exterior to go with the interior. Third step would possibly be performance.

Last edited by faithless; 02-13-08 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-13-08, 08:39 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help with your questions but congrats and good luck!
Old 02-13-08, 09:11 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL oh and about your gauges read this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217411. Its also a stickey on the main es page.
Old 02-13-08, 10:48 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by faithless
On Monday I bought a 1994 es 300.
to ClubLexus and the ES forum!!
2 of the 4 lighted gauge arms are flickering(temp/fuel) 1 is dead(tach) and the speedo is working with no problems.
Choas pointed out the DIY needle fix sticky. Quite a few members have also employed the services of LexTech. I hope to send my cluster to LexTech soon myself. They not only are able to restore your gauges, you can go with some different colors, etc.
I have driven it quite a bit today and am just falling in love with this car in so many ways
Oh yeah, just wait! I bought mine to sit in a commuter lot and swore I'd never mod it. Now just look at my signature below. These cars grow on you and then you end up picking up even MORE.
Have found the shocks will be 65-75 depending on unsealed vs sealed.
You have a 2nd generation ES (1992-1996) like many of us. Hopefully you can save yourself some time, money and pain by learning from my Suspension Upgrade log which gave rise to a sticky for the 2nd Generation Suspension Reference. You'll find all kinds of information about your shocks and other information in those threads.
Gonna add rough plans for the car. First step is to get the car into a very reliable running order. Along with minor touches to the car. Second step would be to get the car repainted to have a nice pretty exterior to go with the interior. Third step would possibly be performance.
It's good to hear this coming from a new ES owner. Too many folks start off wanting to throw a turbo or nitrous on their ES, meanwhile their seats have fallen apart and their tires are bald.
Old 02-13-08, 10:48 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

Slight correction on your headlight bulb sizes:

9005 is the high beam
9006 is the low beam
Old 02-13-08, 10:56 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Welcome to CL!
Old 02-13-08, 12:09 PM
pbbnxiltae
Pole Position

welcome to cl
Old 02-13-08, 02:54 PM
smokesgtp
Driver

welcome, sounds pretty good for the mileage. What did you pay if you don't mind my asking?
Old 02-14-08, 06:11 AM
faithless
Driver School Candidate

The dealer was asking 1299 for it but they dropped it to 900 with out any prompt for me or anyone else. They paid 700 for it so not to much diffrent.

Looked for LexTech but page is deadHave read through the gauge topic and considering it. I noitced that when my fuel gauge flickers it also flickers on my enviromental display also. Are they linked in any way or is there a more serious issue at hand.

As for suspension I don't think I could afford to lower car at all since I'm already scraping things manily exhaust tip. So any suggestions noitced the front struts, retail is $159 and $123 rear.front, rear. As for Springs was just gonna go with this and this. Anything else I should consider also?I can get these parts at cost + a little extra. Dad was paying $16 for a $42 air filter.

As for the ABS issue gonna take it to a shop to have it done, not having done anything with abs equiped cars before.

The egr vavle is retail at $219 link to item

As for the stereo and cd changer not sure how to trouble shoot this problem, Any ideas or things to try?

For the paint was thinking of going with a black of some kind. Have owned 2 maroons including this one and a dark blue.

Also gonna add the engine does have an aftermarket intake on it already, came that way. While talking about this are the shocks that hold the hood up are not staying locked, idea where to get them.

Thanks in advance and having fun here and learning things already on this car.

p.s. Will try and get pictures up soon desipte having 7+ inches of snow in the last day.
Old 02-15-08, 01:12 PM
faithless
Driver School Candidate

Getting struts tommorow, not much of a break on struts. Right now sounds like the struts are trying to go through the wheel well.

Car does have Sylvania Silverstar Ultra both on high and low. Did them all withing about 5 mins of each other. Not sure how to do the fogs though kinda stumped for the time gonna read through service manual to see how.
Old 02-15-08, 05:13 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Getting struts tommorow, not much of a break on struts. Right now sounds like the struts are trying to go through the wheel well.
Those are probably the strut mounts making that noise. Might as well replace those if your doing struts anyway and do it right. Check your sway bar links and bushings too. They tend to rot out and make a 'clunk clunk' noise over small bumps. Its a very distinct sound on any VCV. A couple things to think about: Hows the timing belt? How are the valve cover gaskets? How are the O2 sensors? Those are few of the items that will need attention at some point. If you have some mechanical ability and the service info you can do all this yourself. These cars are not hard to work on. You can post back as you progress with the work and our members and myself included will be more than happy to answer any questions! Enjoy your car!

Edit - BTW you can try cleaning the EGR valve first before you replace it. They get clogged after a lot miles as well as the upper plenum and the IAC valve. So it would be a good idea to pull the entire upper plenum off and clean the crap out of everything. You can change the spark plugs & V.C. gaskets all in one shot too. Just get new gaskets for the IAC, EGR and the plenum; dont reuse them. Also on the 1mz the plenum brackets and EGR tube is a real pain in the *** to get lined up again when you put it all back together.

Last edited by 92ES5sp; 02-15-08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 08:23 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the ES and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 02-16-08, 11:47 PM
faithless
Driver School Candidate

Well the full assembly is $220 with the break vs 65-80 on struts. But when I'm in there will check the other areas as well. Reason why I think it's struts and not just the mounts is when I go over certin bumbs it can take over 30secs for the back end to settle down.

I will take the advise on the egr vavale on cleaning it out as new gaskets for it will cost about $2.50 instead of $220.

The engine looks almost brand new. Most of the hoses and belts for that matter look like they were just put it.

Do have a question on speed sensor and open circuits on LF and RR. Not sure how tix fix thoses any hints or the such.
Old 04-12-09, 01:06 PM
buci
Driver

There is a good chance you have no problems with Egr valve but the Modulator,check that one first,apply vacuum by mouth on the bottom pipe of it,if you get air than its gone.I had the same code 6 months ago on 94 es and it was the modulator,40 bucks for a used one fixed it.
Old 04-12-09, 02:30 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Jesus wasn't the only thing risen from the dead today...

Quick Reply: 94 es300