ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Gen key transponder problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 03:31 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2nd Gen key transponder problem

Last summer I started having problems with my key transponder. It would work inconsitantly. Then one day it just stopped. I had the batteries in the key changed and made sure all of the contacts were clean, and still it didn't work. I figured once the weather broke I would get it in the garage and see if I could find anything else that might be causing it. Then yesterday the temps drop down below zero and it started working again . Today the temps rose into the teens, sure enough it stopped again. Anybody have any thoughts? Is it purely coincidental? This is on a 95 ES300.
Old 02-14-08, 07:35 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar issues with my '94...sometimes my button push from a half block away works, sometimes I have to be standing next to the door for it work. I too had the battery replaced and the contacts cleaned up by a local dealer when I bout the car a couple years back.
Old 02-22-08, 06:15 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

nobody has any thoughts or suggestions??
Old 02-22-08, 06:26 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

hmm...if you're talking about the one that's included in the key....i have no idea why it's going bad but i know that the range sucks. I have to be right next to the door for it to work.

If you have the spare cash, i would go for a full pager/remote start alarm. It works very well for me!
Old 02-22-08, 08:46 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

maniax do you have the remote start disable when your in gear. meaning that if your in gear the car wont start?

i hear an incident where someone left their car in gear and remote start the car and the car just hop forward and hit anoother person car.

very sad.
Old 02-22-08, 10:42 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^If you install a car starter on a car with a manual tranny you are supposed to put a neutral sensor in so that doesn't happen.
Old 02-22-08, 11:54 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swifty562
maniax do you have the remote start disable when your in gear. meaning that if your in gear the car wont start?

i hear an incident where someone left their car in gear and remote start the car and the car just hop forward and hit anoother person car.

very sad.
nah it cant start in gear. It's a compustar made specifically for a manual car. It's wired up so that the only way to start the car is when you're in "reservation mode". Reservation mode basically means after you park, you have to be in neutral, handbrake has to be up, pull out the key(engine is still running), after you exit the car and the door closes, then engine will shut off, alarm activates, door locks, and your pager will sing a fkin song to you letting you know you're in reservation mode. And during this whole process, you cannot press the brake pedal or else it just shuts off the engine if the key is out and cancels the process. This was very complicated when i first got the car but after awhile i got used to it. Works very well for me especially with my carpc installed. My passengers are always shocked at how i have the key out and the car is still running lol.

Yes and I've personally heard alot of stories where someone remote started their stick car breaking walls and hitting cars. Don't install a remote start w/o a neutral switch. It aint worth it. We're all human and we all tend to forget once in awhile

Last edited by maniax; 02-22-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 10:10 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GREED777
Last summer I started having problems with my key transponder. It would work inconsitantly. Then one day it just stopped. I had the batteries in the key changed and made sure all of the contacts were clean, and still it didn't work. I figured once the weather broke I would get it in the garage and see if I could find anything else that might be causing it. Then yesterday the temps drop down below zero and it started working again . Today the temps rose into the teens, sure enough it stopped again. Anybody have any thoughts? Is it purely coincidental? This is on a 95 ES300.
scientifically speaking, there could be a possibility that transponder works better in cold weather because of better vibration frequency in the air.

just a guess?
Old 02-23-08, 10:12 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maniax
nah it cant start in gear. It's a compustar made specifically for a manual car. It's wired up so that the only way to start the car is when you're in "reservation mode". Reservation mode basically means after you park, you have to be in neutral, handbrake has to be up, pull out the key(engine is still running), after you exit the car and the door closes, then engine will shut off, alarm activates, door locks, and your pager will sing a fkin song to you letting you know you're in reservation mode. And during this whole process, you cannot press the brake pedal or else it just shuts off the engine if the key is out and cancels the process. This was very complicated when i first got the car but after awhile i got used to it. Works very well for me especially with my carpc installed. My passengers are always shocked at how i have the key out and the car is still running lol.

Yes and I've personally heard alot of stories where someone remote started their stick car breaking walls and hitting cars. Don't install a remote start w/o a neutral switch. It aint worth it. We're all human and we all tend to forget once in awhile

kewl, what kind of alarm do you have? i like the cool alarm sounds that new car makes. *beep* *beep* is it like that?

but anyways, did you ever had a DiY carputer set up? because i plan on doing one myself.
Old 02-23-08, 10:18 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maniax
hmm...if you're talking about the one that's included in the key....i have no idea why it's going bad but i know that the range sucks. I have to be right next to the door for it to work.

If you have the spare cash, i would go for a full pager/remote start alarm. It works very well for me!
I think that's what I'll do, what brands do you guys recommend.