ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 08:50 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue

Before the lexis indicates that it is overheating, I can hear the water boiling in the water resevoir under the hood and I just replaced the water pump and timing belt what could maybe keep causing it to overheat?
Any help is appreciated! Thank You
Old 02-22-08, 08:55 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thermostat?
Old 02-22-08, 09:03 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

^^^^

That'd be my first thought too...but that should've been checked with the wp and timing belt so wth???
Old 02-22-08, 07:19 PM
itgrowsind
Driver

That was checked and replaced
Old 02-23-08, 10:20 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

check your radiator cap. and the other one also. ( forgot what it was called but its located right next to the intake manifold)

if its not holding the pressure, theres a possibility that it can over heat.
Old 02-23-08, 02:32 PM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also your radiator could have blockage
Old 02-23-08, 08:10 PM
PWK
Driver School Candidate

Blown head gasket. See if white vapor is coming out of the tailpipe. Especially visible at night while another cars headlights on shining on your cars tailpipe.
Old 02-24-08, 04:27 PM
JFLACO610
Pole Position

change BOTH caps, cheapest 1st trouble-shoot
Old 02-25-08, 03:28 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

my car is overheating too, no white vapor or anything tho, when i lifted up the hood, i saw that the resorviour was open and it seemed antifreeze was overflowing. any suggestions?
Old 02-25-08, 07:45 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone with an early to mid 90's ES model who is having overheating problems should check the operation of the radiator cooling fan. This is especially important if the overheating is occurring when the engine is idling or the car is being driven at very low speed.

The cooling fan is hydraulic. It is operated by PS fluid being pumped from the power steering pump. The fan is supposed to speed up when the engine reaches a set coolant temperature. There is a wiring connector which carries the signal for increased fan speed from the fan control module underneath the dash to the power steering pump. In doing engine work, this connector is often disconnected. This results in the cooling fan running at a slow speed which does not provide enough air flow to keep the engine cool when the car is moving slowly.

I note that mention was made of a timing belt and water pump change being done recently. It would be wise to check the PS pump and make certain that this connector is properly attached.
Old 02-25-08, 11:41 PM
jet_jockey
Rookie

check radiator cap. I had the same problem of coolant overflowing back into the reservoir and a new cap did the trick.
Old 02-26-08, 07:49 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

Originally Posted by CUMan
Anyone with an early to mid 90's ES model who is having overheating problems should check the operation of the radiator cooling fan. This is especially important if the overheating is occurring when the engine is idling or the car is being driven at very low speed.

The cooling fan is hydraulic. It is operated by PS fluid being pumped from the power steering pump. The fan is supposed to speed up when the engine reaches a set coolant temperature. There is a wiring connector which carries the signal for increased fan speed from the fan control module underneath the dash to the power steering pump. In doing engine work, this connector is often disconnected. This results in the cooling fan running at a slow speed which does not provide enough air flow to keep the engine cool when the car is moving slowly.

I note that mention was made of a timing belt and water pump change being done recently. It would be wise to check the PS pump and make certain that this connector is properly attached.
Where can I locate this? thanks for the info
Old 02-26-08, 07:49 AM
itgrowsind
Driver

Originally Posted by Poizun
my car is overheating too, no white vapor or anything tho, when i lifted up the hood, i saw that the resorviour was open and it seemed antifreeze was overflowing. any suggestions?
Same thing happened to me!!
Old 02-26-08, 08:30 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When we first had overheating problems with our 94 ES, the overflowing coolant recovery tank occurred. The cap was blown open, and coolant was all over the passenger side of the engine.

Our problems occurred shortly after I had the valve cover gaskets replaced. Apparently, the mechanic doing this work had removed the connector to the PS pump to give him better access for his work and then failed to reconnect it when he finished the job. The hydraulic cooling fan is not very common, and there are apparently a lot of auto service people who do not realize the importance of this connection.

As to the question of where this connector is located, I am not certain as I did not do this work myself. As I recall, there is an access panel in the passenger side wheel well which can be removed. One should then be able to view the PS pump pretty well. Look for a wiring harness coming from the firewall. It should have a plastic connector on the end. This connector plugs into a receptacle on the PS pump. The receptacle is likely at the top or rear of the pump. I have a 92-96 Camry service manual (Haynes), but it does not give a good enough view of the PS pump to determine where the connector goes.

When we were having this overheating problem, the coolant temperature would be fine as long as the car was at highway speed. However, when we would be moving at very slow speeds or idling (for example, in a drive-thru line), the car would start to overheat.
Old 02-26-08, 09:19 AM
esucaris1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the connector for the ps pump has nothing to do with a timing belt install... it cannot be accidently unplugged infact it is a @#!*$ to get at... when you first start your car note the fan speed wait for it to get to normal temp and watch for the fan speed to change... also you might want to check for head gasket leaks... when mine were bad i had a continuous stream of small bubbles that could be seen under the cap (on intake) as it ran the bubbles would increase the cooling system pressure and start to bubble the coolant out the overflow tank before it was overheating...

Quick Reply: Overheating issue