ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My 97 ES300 was completely disabled...by a rat 0.o

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 12:00 PM
diehippied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 97 ES300 was completely disabled...by a rat 0.o

A normal Saturday afternoon as I try to start my car and it would not start, the sound doesn't seem like the battery was dying so I popped the hood to see if there's anything else unusual, and there it is-a big fat furry rat sitting right next to the engine

I first thought the sun was playing tricks in my eyes, but then i noticed the sun was not there, but the rat was and its real! The little bastard quickly jumped down and disappeared into the alleyway, as I inspected the engine compartment I found that 3 wires were chewed up by the damn rat, I was in shocked and completely speechless...0.o

I live in Baltimore city and rat is a big problem, they dig up your trash but I just never thought they can easily climb up from underneath, chew up some wires and make you late for work!

So aside from the fact that I'm still shocked by the ridiculous f-ed up story, I have no idea what the rat did to my car =P, take a look at the pictures, could someone help me ID these parts, what did the rat chew up? Why won't the engine start? Will this be a pain to fix? How much do you think its gonna cost to fix?

And someone please tell me this is not a sign of the end of the universe =)

Three wires to Two connectors were chewed up:

Connector#1:

Connector#2:

Connector#2:
Old 02-24-08, 03:22 PM
lexified14
Driver School Candidate

Possibly coolant temp sensor.
Old 02-24-08, 06:50 PM
TORTOISE
Lead Lap

not sure bout the wires but my aunt lives in baltimore and those little ****ers are everywhere.
Old 02-24-08, 07:35 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The two wire sensor is the coolant temperature sensor. The single wire one is the coolant temperature sending unit.
Old 02-24-08, 07:39 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

LMAO - yo as soon as you said rat, i was like yo, he has to live here in B-More. lol sorry man.
Old 02-24-08, 07:55 PM
diehippied
Driver School Candidate

lol yea i just couldn't believe this **** happened, god damn it!

Thanks JSM1284 for the info. Can any mechanic fix this up easily? are these standard parts?
Old 02-24-08, 09:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't you think the rat would've gotten fried up with electrical current...
Stick some rat traps in your engine bay
Old 02-25-08, 08:13 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Stick some rat traps in your engine bay
Or buy a hungry cat and keep him under your hood at night...

Seriously tho, I guess it would be pretty hard to prevent it from happening again. It's near impossible to keep a rat from getting into somewhere it wants to go. I think they could squeeze thru a hole the size of quarter if they had to....the destructive little *****! Good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-25-08, 08:19 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ethis thread will go down in lexus history, fuhlarious!!!!!!!!!!

question that goes through my mind is why do they chew on plastic, dirty electrical wires..... makes no sense to me.

edit: since you have the electrical connectors, you could repair it by soldering new wire to it[less than 20 dollars in parts/supplies; maybe 80 in labor with the right person]. however, the professional thing to do might be to get new harnessing which could be very costly. call your ins [just for a laugh mostly] to ask if you have urban rodentia coverage? see if they claim it an act of god .....
if you had a shot of the rat still in there, this would probably make it to the mainstream national news... im telling you this is hilarious

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-25-08 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:46 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
question that goes through my mind is why do they chew on plastic, dirty electrical wires..... makes no sense to me.
I guess the scientific reason is that being a rodent, its front teeth never stop growing. So, it is constantly looking for stuff to chew on to wear them down. But we all know the REAL reason. It is b/c they're disease carrying, mean and nasty little bastards that just love to cause trouble!

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
if you had a shot of the rat still in there, this would probably make it to the mainstream national news... im telling you this is hilarious
Probably wouldn't be quite so hilarious if it was your car the little eff-er was devouring...
Old 02-25-08, 08:52 AM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

If I saw the lil bastard down in there I would've caught him and poked him all day with a very sharp stick. Just my 2 cents.

But see if you can get your insurance to pay for the repairs, and if not... Well I'm sorry for ya.
Old 02-25-08, 10:44 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

LOL . . You guys won't find me in Baltimore anytime soon

Goodluck with the repairs . . doubt it's going to cost you that much.
Old 02-25-08, 11:18 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

in usa , a lexus .... cheap to repair all those ripper out electrical parts? no... but positive thinking is good : >

i think the rat should be chewing on normal stuff not the wires. it was probably building a nest in there, or wanted to. but still.... couldnt it find better materials

yesit would be funny if it happened to me. very funny. in fact, it wouldbe hilarious since everyone would tell me, "of course, only you brian"

and if I had a picture of the rat, hahaha, that would be awesome [i have never seen one before, to begin with, making this even funnier to me]

bear grylls would have just caught the rat, and ate him, and then made a coat with his outer skin and fur, and used the rats bones to make some kind of trap to catch more of it's kind .... hahah that guy is awesome, he survives in the most disguisting and entertaining ways ...
Old 02-25-08, 12:11 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Sorry about the rat I have to agree get a cat maybe two.
Old 02-25-08, 12:34 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This happens all the time. I cant tell you how many shops call me a week needing approval to repair rodent damaged wiring.

Quick Reply: My 97 ES300 was completely disabled...by a rat 0.o