ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is This Normal? 1996 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 05:40 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Normal? 1996 Lexus ES300

So the dealership gave it back to me and said the only reason the car was overheating was becuase of a bad thermostat. Well, that turned out to be false because it started overheating on me again today. i drove it for about 40 miles, then it started to overheat. For some reason, everytime i pull up to a red light or stop sign, i seem to hear bubbling noises. Also, the cap on the resuvoir wont seem to stay on, and there is coolant all over the right side of my engine. My mechanic told me it sounds like there is too much pressure in the radiator. The dealership said that they might have to replace the radiator for me, any other suggestions?

Where that hose just cuts off at the resuvoir, is that normal? or is it suppost to hook to something else?

Any of your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Poizun; 02-27-08 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-27-08, 06:22 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No its supposed to be like that. This is a bad deal man. I think you have a blockage somewhere, or your water pump has failed. Regardless I hope it all works out for ya, and hopefully the dealer will fix the problem instead of just throwing random parts at it.
Old 02-27-08, 06:25 PM
cnstarz
Driver School Candidate

lemon law; take it back now and find another lexus, or make sure they fix it for free.
Old 02-27-08, 06:46 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cnstarz
lemon law; take it back now and find another lexus, or make sure they fix it for free.
yup! best deal.

if they can't fix your car within 3 trys, i think they buy it back off.

and yea fixing the car should be at dealer expense.
Old 02-27-08, 07:02 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

they are the ones that are getting the car fixed they just loaned me a acura integra. i just wanted to get a second opinion from my mechanic to let them know what i expect from them.

i also told them to take pressure readings from the heads to make sure it isnt a head gasket issue.

i bought the car for 5k. its a 96 ES300, Leather, and it has 118k miles.

does that sound like a decent deal?
Old 02-27-08, 08:12 PM
cha41ppy
Driver School Candidate

A couple thoughts:

I had heard that at times combustion gases can make their way into the coolant passages (via head gasket leak?) and overheat the liquid itself while pushing it outward through the reservoir.

Also, the rubber tubing hanging off the top of the reservoir cap - shouldn't that be hanging into the reservoir itself? Isn't that how the coolant feeds into and out of the reservoir tank? I'm not positive and it's too cold and dark to go outside right now to look at my car, but I'll check tomorrow. I'm most likely wrong anyways, just a wild guess.

Hope everything works out and they take care of it. Remember to push them hard, they will do everything they can to ensure that YOU keep the car since they have already made the sale and don't like to give out money.
Old 02-27-08, 08:41 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

there is already a tube heading into the reservoir. that one seems to just contunue no where.
Old 02-27-08, 09:42 PM
jet_jockey
Rookie

that tube is just for when the reservoir is completely full, so the water has somewhere to go. If you've replaced your radiator cap, i'd guess you might have one of several issues. water pump problem (seems to be more frequent with the ones with plastic impellers), bad radiator cap, blockage in the system, power steering pump issue (if yours has a power steering driven fan), or a cracked head/head gasket issue.
Old 02-27-08, 09:58 PM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

how much does it cost to get these issues fixed, im just wondering caz that dealership is mos definitly paying for this ****.
Old 02-28-08, 05:45 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Unhappy lemon law

Originally Posted by cnstarz
the lemon law depends on the state you live in, I live in Florida and had the same problem. In Florida the lemon law doesnt apply to used cars. The dealer wouldnt undo the deal, but he is fixing whatever is wrong with it and covering the labor, I just have to pay for the parts. Obviously without any one of us seeing the car its all best guess, but I'm tell you man I am in the exact same situation you are in (except the dealership didn't give me a loaner) and after them trying a few different things (thermostat, cap replacement, hydraulic fan hose), it ended up being a blown head gasket. The car was still riding smooth as can be, but after driving it on the highway for a while it would start to over heat. Best of luck to you, I have yet to take my car home yet and this is the 2nd week I have owned it.
Old 02-28-08, 08:08 AM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

damn, sorry to hear that man, yeah here in MD the lemon law doesnt apply to used vehicles as well. they got it in the shop right now and i guess there gonna take care of it. i just hope they do it in a timely manner.

best of luck to you man.
Old 02-28-08, 10:11 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poizun
damn, sorry to hear that man, yeah here in MD the lemon law doesnt apply to used vehicles as well. they got it in the shop right now and i guess there gonna take care of it. i just hope they do it in a timely manner.

best of luck to you man.
Yea, obviously it is my fault because I signed the as is bill of sale without taking the car to my mechanic. So legally the dealership could have told me "oh well, you bought it as is." But they are trying to fix it, I just think its bad buisness to sell a car that has that kind of problem without taking care of it first, before you set it out for sale.

Thats why when I read your initial post about what happened to you and the year of the car you bought, it was like reading my own story. Sucks, but as long as they fix the problem and thats the end of it, than I couldnt be happier to own the car.
Old 02-28-08, 10:18 AM
Poizun
Driver School Candidate

yeah the way i look at it - they fix it now i aint gotta worry abotu it later.
Old 02-28-08, 10:23 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

I'm guessing water pump. I had exact same issue with my '94 when I got it...about 2 weeks after buying it started overheating a bit - mechanic said it was a bad thermostat. Replaced it and it all went to hell - same boiling noises and everything - was the water pump.

Unfortunately I got mine from a private seller and had to pay for it myself!
Old 02-28-08, 11:14 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by P_M_G
I'm guessing water pump. I had exact same issue with my '94 when I got it...about 2 weeks after buying it started overheating a bit - mechanic said it was a bad thermostat. Replaced it and it all went to hell - same boiling noises and everything - was the water pump.

Unfortunately I got mine from a private seller and had to pay for it myself!
yea I know on mines, I will have to change the timing belt and water pump eventually. Luckily my inlaws know a mechanic who will change them and not over charge me on labor. And that is true, at least they have changed things that I dont have to worry about changing later on.

If I didnt want the car so badly (its a beautiful car), and spent just about all of my familys income tax money on it, I would have gotten rid of it. But I'm trying to be as patient with it as I can.

Quick Reply: Is This Normal? 1996 Lexus ES300