ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just my luck :D

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 02:22 PM
Aegis
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just my luck :D

Hi I'm not really new here...but I've never really posted anyways lets get on with it.

I bought this beautiful 96 es300 with 89k miles on it back in April of last year for 6.4k did some work to it that amounted to about 7.5k for the whole package.
And I was happy
One faithful morning someone decided to tack this to my bumper...

When they added this piece of **** his friend

decided to tag along in the front, leaving me with this...

It doesn't look all that horrible...however, the insurance company still decided to total out the car. And quoted me, 8.5k. . . . .

So I did what any ES lover would have done given some more money...I upgraded to a newer year. For only 7.5k I bought a 98 with 102k miles pocketed the other thousand and putting it away for possible repairs. But, I do have a quick question, my stereo makes a funky whining sound whenever it's on. It almost sounds like a turbo charger spooling because it follow the RPMs of the engine. Some have told me it's the alternator going out which makes sense and is what I thought it was. Others have told me other useless bits of information. Any of you guys have any ideas?

Old 03-11-08, 03:10 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have a aftermarket radio installed?
Old 03-12-08, 01:35 PM
Aegis
8th Gear

No it's a stock sound system however, when I test drove it at the dealership they had a after market alarm system on the vehicle which had to be removed because state law mandates that dealerships can't sell a car that has remote ignition...or something along those lines.
Old 03-13-08, 08:40 PM
kiwies300
Driver School Candidate

sorry to here about your first car . sounds like the radio is not earthed properly that would cause the whining noise. good news easy fix and you get to pull your baby apart ...yeah fun with tools time
Old 03-13-08, 08:54 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

probably not grounded well enough and you're picking up alternator noise
Old 03-14-08, 05:23 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to cl...and nice pick up on the ride. I would have done the same given the situation you were in, I love situations like the ones you got into. mo money, mo money, mo money.

Ditto with the responses above on the radio. What your hearing is known as RF noise and is due to bad grounding or a power loop. Good luck.

Most people get RF noise after installing an aftermarket radio. I have it but its faint enough to not notice it at times.

If you can't fix the ground issue then you can buy a noise filter, something like these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...pvs=T&g=181150
Old 03-14-08, 10:43 AM
AlleyKat
Pole Position

You secretly have a supercharger in there
Old 03-14-08, 07:06 PM
Aegis
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AlleyKat
You secretly have a supercharger in there
Lol when I first heard it I was like, wait wait wait...hold the phone did I miss something under the hood? Nooo nooo nooo that can't be right. I mean it is kinda sweet you get the spooling sound but when I drive long distances I can't keep the stereo on the whole time because it feels like my ears are bleeding...

Okay well thanks for all your responses I'll get out the grand ol' voltmeter to start testing the grounds...maybe I can have a bit of serendipity and find it without diving myself crazy.

Oh and does anyone with 5% tinting in the back have the problem where the tint rises off the defrost lines on the window and at night causes like this crazy light distortion from the back window? Is there anyway to lessen this or fix the issue, I mean I love the tint it helps protect my eyes from the jerkoff trucks with HID kits but at the same time it washes out the whole back window for night viewing.

Last edited by Aegis; 03-14-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 07:32 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegis
Oh and does anyone with 5% tinting in the back have the problem where the tint rises off the defrost lines on the window and at night causes like this crazy light distortion from the back window? Is there anyway to lessen this or fix the issue, I mean I love the tint it helps protect my eyes from the jerkoff trucks with HID kits but at the same time it washes out the whole back window for night viewing.

I tinted my own car and don't have that problem. The only thing you can do is take the old tint out and get a real professional to put on new tint or get some of that spray on tint. Gd LK!
Old 03-15-08, 06:23 PM
gulffishin
Driver

IDK if I would do the spray on tint... I have only heard bad things about it.