ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What are common problems on 300's with higher mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 08:44 PM
Wadeisabea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are common problems on 300's with higher mileage?

I'm looking to buy an ES300 and i'm willing to spend up to $7,000. The problem is that I can't find one near me with relatively low mileage. In fact I've only been able to find 3 for sale within two hours of me(even though there are well over a million people in that radius).

However I have found one that is exactly what I want(black with black leather) but it has 163k miles. The asking price is $5200. I know most of these cars last forever, but is spending that much for a car with that many miles too risky? I really don't want to spend over $1000 in irregular maintenance in the next few years, like replacing a transmission.

I'd like to know what are the most common problems on these cars with 150k+ miles on them. It'd also be good to get an estimate on cost of any of the problems.

Last edited by Wadeisabea; 03-21-08 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 12:53 PM
Wadeisabea
Driver School Candidate

Also, about how much would it cost to replace a transmission on a 92 ES300? I have found an ES300 with 170k miles for $1200, but it needs a new transmission. Would it be worth the trouble to have a mechanic fix it? I've read that a Camry transmission would also work so it wouldn't be too hard to find.

Also, how often should the timing belt be changed? I've heard a few different opinions, some as low as 60k and others as high as 110,000. And these are non-intererence engines right(before 2000)?
Old 03-22-08, 02:10 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

If you can be patient you can get an ES with under 100k miles for around $8k. So, for $7k I'd say you should be able to get one with 90-120k miles.

You'll put the money into one with over 160k miles anyway, so just spend a bit more for less miles. You won't regret it in the long run. If you're going to go higher miles; price engines just in case it comes to that.

Just my opinion as I just got done shopping them.
Old 03-22-08, 02:20 PM
Wadeisabea
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ProjectLex
If you can be patient you can get an ES with under 100k miles for around $8k. So, for $7k I'd say you should be able to get one with 90-120k miles.

You'll put the money into one with over 160k miles anyway, so just spend a bit more for less miles. You won't regret it in the long run. If you're going to go higher miles; price engines just in case it comes to that.

Just my opinion as I just got done shopping them.
Thanks. Its hard being patient. I've been looking for this specific car for about 3 weeks, and looking for a car in general for about 2 months now. Throughout that time I have only found 2 running cars in my city, both with 160k+ miles for about $5,000. I live in a fairly large city, just not a huge selection of used cars. I've looked at craigslists in places like Dallas/Minneapolis/Chicago and they've got tons to choose from.

I test drove one at the dealership and liked just about everything on it. The only thing that bothered me was the steering. It just felt so much more loose compared to my old accord. Could this be fixed?
Old 03-22-08, 02:23 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Maybe try autotrader. Just call the seller before you fall in love. I had about 4 cars slip through my fingers. Good deals don't last and sellers are in no hurry to remove listings. I drove 12 hours round trip to get mine.

Sorry - I can't help you with your other ?'s. I'm brand new to the ES world.
Old 03-22-08, 02:31 PM
Wadeisabea
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ProjectLex
Maybe try autotrader. Just call the seller before you fall in love. I had about 4 cars slip through my fingers. Good deals don't last and sellers are in no hurry to remove listings. I drove 12 hours round trip to get mine.

Sorry - I can't help you with your other ?'s. I'm brand new to the ES world.
Only 8 within 200 miles of me, all with high mileage and way overpriced. I've thought about buying off ebay, but it seems risky to me. I've seen some great deals but I think I might wait a while and hope something pops up locally.
Old 03-22-08, 03:06 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Welcome to the fun! I spent about 10 months looking for my SC; can't remember how long it took me to get my ES - not quite as long though.

For grins I checked the website of the folks from whom I bought my SC and lookie here. The miles look LOW, it's right around your budget, the timing belt maintenance has already been done, and it looks to be in good condition. Plus it's a one-owner.

That might be worth a quick flight down and a fun, getting-to-know-your-new-car drive home? (Sorry, hope that doesn't vex you too much)

Otherwise, keep the faith and keep the patience, the right ES will show up for you eventually.
Old 03-22-08, 03:28 PM
Wadeisabea
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Welcome to the fun! I spent about 10 months looking for my SC; can't remember how long it took me to get my ES - not quite as long though.

For grins I checked the website of the folks from whom I bought my SC and lookie here. The miles look LOW, it's right around your budget, the timing belt maintenance has already been done, and it looks to be in good condition. Plus it's a one-owner.

That might be worth a quick flight down and a fun, getting-to-know-your-new-car drive home? (Sorry, hope that doesn't vex you too much)

Otherwise, keep the faith and keep the patience, the right ES will show up for you eventually.
Definitely a nice looking car, but a little more than I want to spend. I'd prefer to spend around $5500-6000, but I'd spend up to $7,000 if I found a good deal. I've got a few thousand in cash and don't really want to get a loan larger than $4,000.