ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Got the 92 ES300 running like a dream...finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 08:00 PM
Trucker06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the 92 ES300 running like a dream...finally

I had posted a thread "can't get my 92 ES300 to start now."I know you all will laugh when I tell you what the problem was. The distributor was not plugged in!!!!! the little wire and clip had fell back in behind some other stuff so I didn't even see it there and it didn't even occur to me. It started right up. The timing was in fact right. I flushed the radiator a few times with water and now it's running great!!!!!! This car now has new head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, cam seals, valve seals, head was resurfaced at machine shop, new idler pullies, new manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, exhaust flange gaskets, I cleaned up the injectors and replaced the seals on all injectors, new water outlet gasket, new egr pipe gasket, new valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube gaskets, spark plugs. Now my fiance and my son will be riding in style. Big change compared to driving around a wrecked 91 geo prizm. We had this thing torn apart alot! down to the cylinder but everything else had to come off too in the process . Came a long way from working in the garage when it was snowing like crazy to now in the spring and warmer weather. Feels so damn good to have it done.

Cameron
Old 03-24-08, 09:03 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats! Sounds like you had your work cut out for you.
Old 03-24-08, 01:08 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice... why did you do the head gaskets and stuff, just as the project, or because you couldn't get it to start?

i am in the process of doing much of what you did, just not head gasket because i believe mine is/are ok. nearly all the other stuff.
how long does it take?
intake manifold was hard to take off, wasn't it? wasn't it harder than the timing belt job? did you do the intake manifold/timing belt stuff with engine in or out? since that i would change how you felt about the job,
also, did you change out the crank front main and rear main seals?
what transmission is in there?
let me know

-peace, brian
Old 03-24-08, 04:47 PM
Trucker06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

d Well the reason why we replaced everything is because the head gaskets were no sealing. Blown head gasket. Get this...we were doing a compression test and had figured out which cylinder the gasket was allowing oil and coolant to get in. So we had that spark plug out of it. Well it was a bad enough head gasket leak that in a matter of seconds the spark plug tube was filled to the top with coolant! But since you gotta take everything apart we just replaced everything else too. I'd recommend you replace alot of things that are simple to get to while you have everything out. We bought a kit with head gaskets and a whole bunch of other stuff in it for a bit over $200.00! It comes with everything. We did do the work with the engine in the car. However it would be easier to do it with the engine out but really it's not that bad with it in the car as long as you know how to make some weird bending extentions and all kinds of stuff. With the head gaskets blown the car would start up but just no run right as you can imagine. The intake manifold was not too hard to take off. Just a couple of big flat head screwdrivers on each end and kinda work it loose. Just gotta break the seal. But be gentle cuz it's aluminum. Did not replace the crank seals. It was not showing any signs of damage or leaks so we left that alone. Those stupid timing marks the manufacturer stamp on are not perfect with the cam pulley timing marks. Get it as close as possible! Don't settle for being off one tooth. But half a tooth I bet you can start her up without the alternator and stuff just to make sure it's okay. Just make sure you rotate the cams two full rotations before you see where your marks are. The crank makes four rotations to make the cams get two rotations by the way. Got any more questions just ask.

Cameron

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
nice... why did you do the head gaskets and stuff, just as the project, or because you couldn't get it to start?

i am in the process of doing much of what you did, just not head gasket because i believe mine is/are ok. nearly all the other stuff.
how long does it take?
intake manifold was hard to take off, wasn't it? wasn't it harder than the timing belt job? did you do the intake manifold/timing belt stuff with engine in or out? since that i would change how you felt about the job,
also, did you change out the crank front main and rear main seals?
what transmission is in there?
let me know

-peace, brian

Last edited by Trucker06; 03-24-08 at 05:26 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-25-08, 05:54 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got same type of kit. I got water pump, full timing belt job , and full gasket set, total 275 bucks! wayyyyyyyy cheaper than even the local toyota dealer.

you got an automatic or a manual?

intake manifold is easy to take off, once you have already taken so many other things off of it. don't you think that is what makes it tedious?

nice job