ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First-time Lexus owner 2005 ES330 White

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 06:39 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time Lexus owner 2005 ES330 White

Ok, just bought a 2005 ES330 (white) yesterday (45k miles). Never owned a Lexus before, heard nothing but good things about them. Sort of, "stepping down," as we are turning in our Range Rover. Just couldn't take the (lack of) gas mileage any longer and wanted to spend not so much money on the car for now.

Anyway, I've not driven it much other than the test drive but so far very impressed with the car. Rides nicely, looks good (although I like more unique cars, we'll have to change this one a bit) and the wife like it (it's her car afterall...).

So I found this site and am trying to absorb everything before asking stupid questions. I've got to take some pics of it and get them up here so you can see it. It's just a stock car. It was a fleet car so I'm guessing all of the maintenance was done (I didn't buy it from a Lexus dealer). This brings me to my first question, is anyone out there working for a dealer who can run a VIN and let me know the service history of this thing. I'm no terribly worried about it since I've never heard of bad things happening to these things. But just want to be sure.

Here's a list of things I'm planning on doing to it in the coming couple of months:

-New exhaust--just gotta try and get some sound, any sound, from the thing. Sorry, I like a little growl. I'll be checking around for something good.
-Replace head unit--we didn't get the one with Nav and I'm a Sirius junky. Planning on finding something which fits/looks good which has Nav and Sirius.
-Debage--gotta get rid of those badges!
-Maybe a few other cosmetic things--gotta see what's out there and tasteful.

Other than that, not killing the thing. I've gotta see what kind of tuning I can do with the engine. I'll read up on this as well.

Anyway, I hope to be able to contribute around here once I know more. I am NOT a technical guy when it comes to cars though. I know a few things about Land Rovers (still have my Disco and have had a few of them, I'm an avid offroader) and I've got a 2006 Miata for those nice days.

Enjoying the forum so far!
Old 03-23-08, 08:06 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the club!

Might want to contact Lexus directly with the VIN to see about the service history of find out what dealership the car came from originally.

Another site with a wealth of info is www.lexusownersclub.com

Might want to consider tint to enhance the appearance. Enjoy your new ride
Old 03-23-08, 08:40 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Thanks a bunch. I already know the dealer who sold it--they left the paperwork in the car (that's how I know it was a fleet car--but it's way up in upstate NY and I'm in NJ.

I'll check out the other site. Thanks a bunch.

Not sure about tint, I love the way tint looks but never liked driving with it. But, with a white car, I may HAVE to tint the windows to give us a little contrast.
Old 03-23-08, 09:29 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL! Definitely tint the car, it looks way better. You might want to consider some rims to and of course lowering it always makes it look bad a$$. A simple mod is an intake which will give it a little more sound. IMO seafoam treatment should be in order. There's a DIY article so just search this forum for seafoam. Good luck and have to post some pics.
Old 03-23-08, 10:20 AM
Mr.Euro
Lead Lap

congrats. my father has one of the same year in silver but with 20k on it( doesn't drive anywhere). if you can find a bolt on application for the exhaust, let me know. my dad wants a car that is louder than my 5er which he doesn't know runs basically from the cat.
Old 03-24-08, 04:23 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Thanks for the seafoam idea. I hadn't thought about that but it's a good idea.

I will be checking into a CAI, easy mod. Only question is how much they help. I have a 2006 Miata and they don't really add much in that. Will they be worth it on the ES?

Will probably go with a light tint. We'll see...

Here's a pic of it.
Old 03-24-08, 04:29 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Oh, quick question. Is my 2005 supposed to have the side mirros tilt when in reverse? I thought they are supposed to but mine doesn't. If they're supposed to I've gotta get that fixed.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-08, 07:20 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL about your idea for a new head unit that would look nice and work with a sirius I would go with a Pioneer Avic D3. I belive on old member vin78 had one in his es. Now if you really wanna get into it try a custom wood grain dash kit like people here have done. Oh and where is upstate ny is your stuff?
Old 03-24-08, 11:26 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On the side mirrors tilting. The selector on the mirror adjusting switch needs to be in either the L or R position. If it is centered, they dont move.
Old 03-24-08, 11:34 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by Choas
Welcome to CL about your idea for a new head unit that would look nice and work with a sirius I would go with a Pioneer Avic D3. I belive on old member vin78 had one in his es. Now if you really wanna get into it try a custom wood grain dash kit like people here have done. Oh and where is upstate ny is your stuff?
Thanks for the tip! I'll check into that.

I'm not in upstate, the car came from upstate. I'm in NJ right near NYC.

Originally Posted by JSM1284
On the side mirrors tilting. The selector on the mirror adjusting switch needs to be in either the L or R position. If it is centered, they dont move.
Ah, I'm sure that's what it is then. Thanks for that tip!

I hope to be as helpful once I learn a thing or two about Lexus.
Old 03-24-08, 11:42 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you know who the company in which it was part of the fleet? Or if lease from a Fleet company, which one?

Whats the VIN#?
Old 03-25-08, 04:24 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

I forgot the company name. Sounded like a chemical company or maybe a plastics company?
Old 03-25-08, 07:36 AM
LexGrl702
Lead Lap

welcome to CL Gadget! Especially to the ES family. The guys here are sweet and helpful. I have the same year and model in blue onyx with the gold emblems too. I wanted to buy a white car but the dealer didn't have a white one fully loaded, so I bought the blue with gray interior. Definitely get the windows tinted and there is a nice lip kit that will give it some ground effects. I am saving up for the lip kit and hope to put it on next year.
Old 03-25-08, 05:33 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Thanks for the tip! I'll check into that.

I'm not in upstate, the car came from upstate. I'm in NJ right near NYC.
Yea I see that i'm just wondering where your car came from.
Old 03-25-08, 05:41 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by LexGrl702
welcome to CL Gadget! Especially to the ES family. The guys here are sweet and helpful. I have the same year and model in blue onyx with the gold emblems too. I wanted to buy a white car but the dealer didn't have a white one fully loaded, so I bought the blue with gray interior. Definitely get the windows tinted and there is a nice lip kit that will give it some ground effects. I am saving up for the lip kit and hope to put it on next year.
Thanks. Maybe we should trade.

Where are you finding that kit?

Originally Posted by Choas
Yea I see that i'm just wondering where your car came from.
No worries. I just can't remember who the company was and we trashed the papers (weren't any kind of service info). I have the dealer name though because it's on the key rings.

btw, I have two questions I've not been able to find (not yet anyway) in the manual:

1) Is there a setting where the lights in the front (on the ceiling) come on when the doors are open? Can't seem to figure that out and it's dark there but nice in the back.
2) I can't figure out these locks for the life of me. They seem to lock themselves (I hate that, need to change that) but also, they don't seem to open the back doors when I unlock them (with the door button). I have to unlock it with the key button. Any ideas on these things?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: First-time Lexus owner 2005 ES330 White