ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

? where to run RCA cable from aftermarket Headunit (HU) to trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 02:47 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? where to run RCA cable from aftermarket Headunit (HU) to trunk?

i dont see any holes on either side of the center console that will let me run RCA cable from the aftermarket headunit in my car [the kameleon] to the subwoofer amplifier {amp] in the trunk, which powers my subwoofer speaker.

how do you do it?

I want to avoid anything to do with the rear speakers, which are powered from the stock amp. I also want to avoid running the RCA from the stock amp, essentially in the same way as the rear speaker thing I just said.

Anyone do this, know what I'm talking about and know how to run it?

THanks

-B
Old 04-03-08, 12:30 AM
jet_jockey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed mine, I put an amp under the pass seat where the stock one was, and also one in the trunk. I just routed the rca cables under the console and then under the carpet next to the seat, then the ones going to the trunk i ran from that point along the door line to the trunk, so the power wire wasn't running parallel with it.
Old 04-03-08, 05:21 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

if i had an amp under the seat, and the correct low level crossover device to put for the components, to simulate the factory amp's own, then yes i would do that. in fact, that's precisely what i'll do when I have money in several months.

but, for my situation, what should I do, bar buying an amp for replacing the factory amp...
Old 04-03-08, 05:55 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

i had a guy install it, an he took close hanger wire and connected it with the rca and my carpet is already ripped from something else i had to do and he pulled it through there and under neath the glove compartment and through the door panel jams all the way back and under the back seat everything is hidden.
Old 04-04-08, 11:54 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

" a guy install it, an he took close hanger wire and connected it"
questionis , how was the wire routed back there, there are no openings, in the hole the stereo goes into, to the outside-cabin-area, where the carpet is. Did he simply drill a hole?
Old 04-04-08, 06:55 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

i apologize for the lack of info on the first post i was really tired.
ok well from the passengers seat if you sit in it. the left of your left leg the carpet there on the right side of the console my carpet was already opened if you rip that you can run rcas from there than under neath your glove compartment like you do with your remote wire il try to remember to take some pics tommorro its kinda hard to explain im just trying to get a general idea an you can figure it out because unless you see it its hard to explain... but try looking if you get this ^^^ if not il get pics soon
Old 04-04-08, 07:46 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

fyi, i already pulled that carpeting back to see no holes to the center- console-hole-for-head-unit

i know what you're talking about, up to one point.. the glove box?

i dont have anything hooked up, assume i know nothing about the secret of wiring this car from the head unit to the trunk... actually , that's what im asking all abotu in this thread ! lol i have no remote wire or anythingelse, so hook me up me more detailed nfo and pics, and i will owe you , 4 sho

so this is crazy, the glove box actually connects to the head unit hole in the center console?

let me know my friend
Old 04-05-08, 02:40 AM
jet_jockey
Rookie

hey, let me explain further about what I did. You can do the same thing without bothering with an under-seat amplifier. From the head unit, i ran the cables alongside where the center console and the carpet meet one another (this is on the right side of the console, in about the spot where the ash tray and stuff is at when it is installed, just behind that if you stick your hand in there you'll see that you can push the carpet out and gives you room to run the wires parallel to the edge of the carpet along the console), and then once I got to where it was next to the pass seat, i ran the wire under the carpet directly across to the door rails, and then back to the trunk.

hope this helps
Old 04-05-08, 06:05 AM
rtk7
Pole Position

thats basically the same way mine was done
the carpet you pushed out next to the ash tray theres a whole opening and right above that is where your hu is going to be and what not i droped a screw all the way down there so i had to rip the carpet anyways so he just did it through there. if your hook up rca's and running them to the trunk for a system? than you need a remote wire dont you?
Old 04-05-08, 04:46 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

so, there is a hole after all. and it's located near the ash tray, on the right [passenger side] of the console. and if i dont find it, ill be back to this thread... let me go see ....
Old 04-05-08, 10:35 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

pull up the door jams and u can run the RCA's under there or under the carpeting. if you do it right you wont need to rip the carpet and u should only be able to see about 1" of wire where the rear door jam ends until it goes under the rear seat
Old 04-06-08, 05:55 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

what they said makes more sense since you're not addressing where the wire comes out. you see, where they told me it comes out required a little bit of carpeting on the center console to be pulled up. anyway, i ll post more of my finding and pics later today. thanks
Old 04-06-08, 11:07 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Originally Posted by paintrain
pull up the door jams and u can run the RCA's under there or under the carpeting. if you do it right you wont need to rip the carpet and u should only be able to see about 1" of wire where the rear door jam ends until it goes under the rear seat
+1 for running the cables underneath the door jams. Mine were routed underneath the door jams and backseat. There are no exposed cables and I didn't have to pull up the carpet.
Old 04-06-08, 11:46 PM
jet_jockey
Rookie

i ran mine along the door jambs also, power wire on the drivers side and remote and rca on the passenger side. I just happened to route thru the console to under the seat b/c i have an amp there as well.
You will have no wire showing at all if you pull the carpet up before you run it, so it rests under the carpeting.
Old 04-07-08, 06:57 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

that is impossible

look, its in blackand white, where do i route the wire from head unit to cabin

youre talking about something else