ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 10:16 AM
lexus72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw these listed on ebay too and considered them for my '94 es - ebay #250235329859 (just copy the number into the ebay search key). They may be European leather, but according to the feedback, everyone seems to agree that they are assembled in China.

I hope they work out for you, I'll probably base my decision on your opinion and pics TUAN92129.

I read through a lot of the feedback replies, and I can only offer this - It sounds like they seem to tear easily if stretched too hard during instalation, so be carefull. The seller seems pretty adamant about having these professionally installed. Even the pics show a dude using a heat gun. Let us know how it turns out, and if your doing the installation maybe it can become a DIY...
Old 04-22-08, 02:37 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, if you dont get them professionally installed be sure to take your sweet time! And pictures and comments would help other people's decisions when it comes time for them to replace their leather.

XD @ Lexucan's moo cow
Old 04-22-08, 08:14 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus72
I saw these listed on ebay too and considered them for my '94 es - ebay #250235329859 (just copy the number into the ebay search key). They may be European leather, but according to the feedback, everyone seems to agree that they are assembled in China.

I hope they work out for you, I'll probably base my decision on your opinion and pics TUAN92129.

I read through a lot of the feedback replies, and I can only offer this - It sounds like they seem to tear easily if stretched too hard during instalation, so be carefull. The seller seems pretty adamant about having these professionally installed. Even the pics show a dude using a heat gun. Let us know how it turns out, and if your doing the installation maybe it can become a DIY...
Well, the price difference is soo large, I think your decision is one sided.
100% leather interior seat EBAY = $575 shipped
100% leather from leatherseats.com = $925 shipped
It would be interesting to see where leatherseats.com suppliers are, and where they are made.
You can have the Ebay ones pro-installed for less than the cost of the other seat covers
Old 05-05-08, 01:08 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Leather Seats came in the mail today!
(Still have to pick them up at the post office at 5)
Sighs....AP Stats exam tomorrow = the probability of me installing it tomorrow is slim to nothing
Meanwhile I'm wasting my time on CL instead of studying
Old 05-05-08, 03:56 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexucan ,

that is one of the funniest car forum posts IVe ever seen or read
Old 05-05-08, 04:00 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Sighs....AP Stats exam tomorrow = the probability of me installing it tomorrow is slim to nothing
Hey ditch the exam tomorrow. You've got ppl here anxiously waiting to see the outcome of your new seats install!
So, what's more important, pleasing all your fellow Club Lexus members...or some ole' college degree???

Last edited by Lexucan; 05-05-08 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 06:11 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

*sigh* I feel ya bro.
Club Lexus can be such a distraction during AP exams, but then again, getting a 5 on some exams is almost a lost cause.
Old 05-05-08, 06:57 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

OMG. So much drama today. I met a 100% a**hole in CVS Pharmacy today while getting in line. Racism alive and well...or indecency i don't know why.
Its just one of those people that turn your day upside down.

On to the better news (i guess all good things need to be balanced by the bad)
Picked up the seats at the post office and will post pictures shortly.

The color pick was slightly off, I would say it will fit the 92-94 tan color 100%
The leather, sadly enough 'smelled like China' if you know what i mean. Its not the rich leather smell, but something else....fertilizer? i dunno.
The leather is pebble-grained top grain leather with a pigment dye.
The hides where a little dry compared to leatherseat.com's samples.
The quality is top notch.
I know there is a group buy for leatherseats.com but if you don't mind a little color variablility, these Ebay kits are my recommendation.
100% leather!
brb with pics.
Old 05-05-08, 07:32 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

-Sigh-
It appears that i have a very low quality leather. (may be bi-cast leather)
You basically get what you pay for.
Verdict?
If you can afford it, pay $1000+ for 100% leather from leatherseats.com
If you want a interior replacement thats really cheap, go with Ebay.
I have filed a complaint with Ebay and the seller for false advertisement, and also asking for a discount.
I do plan on installing these seats though.
Some pics.
Back seat

Notice the panel strip is gone...looks more updated!
somehow...my pics aren't uploading. Dont' you hate teaser pics? hahah

Last edited by tuan92129; 05-05-08 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 10:01 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

put em on already tuan!
Old 05-05-08, 10:17 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Lexus leather isn't easy to reproduce. You might like the seats more though when they are installed. Good luck and I will stay tuned.
Old 05-05-08, 10:47 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mick_foley
Lexus leather isn't easy to reproduce. You might like the seats more though when they are installed. Good luck and I will stay tuned.
Yes, but this is a case of misleading advertisement on the part of the Ebay seller, who claims that their products are 100% leather when they are actually bi-cast leather. The upper grain is actually polyurethane or vinyl.
Old 05-06-08, 08:41 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but this is a case of misleading advertisement on the part of the Ebay seller, who claims that their products are 100% leather when they are actually bi-cast leather. The upper grain is actually polyurethane or vinyl.
What a bummer! I googled "bi-cast" and found some disappointing info. One page devoted to explaining the differences between different types of leather had this to say:

Late in 2004 I was approached by a Singapore based company with Chinese manufacturing facilities seeking buyers for chairs of the style pictured below. I was advised that they were covered in "semi-aniline leather" and were incredibly cheap!. I was naturally enthusiastic so responded with a request for leather samples which duly arrived by courier.
The 'leather' was what is now being sold as "bi-cast". A very thin synthetic layer (Polyurethane) of less than .01mm covered a .4mm layer of rubber adhesive and was backed with a reconstituted leather composite of 1.1mm. The surface was easly removed by scratching with thumb nail in a matter of seconds!!

To me this illustrates that the problem in large part emanates from Asia; the competition worldwide is such that suppliers will sink to blatant misinformation and that consumers worldwide are being duped.
http://www.mainlychairs.co.nz/leather%20advice.htm

Old 05-06-08, 09:37 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexucan
What a bummer! I googled "bi-cast" and found some disappointing info. One page devoted to explaining the differences between different types of leather had this to say:

http://www.mainlychairs.co.nz/leather%20advice.htm

Only thing is that this 'leatherette' doesn't scratch off easily, even with a pin
Old 05-06-08, 09:18 PM
lej1447
Driver

Since Leatherseat.com, our CL vendor, is doing a Group Buy 2008, I just requested to have my name as the 20th person if the group needs one more buyer to get the big discount. My '95 is so beat up, yet I've been pouring $ to this old car.

My wife will kill me.

Quick Reply: New Leather Seats