ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 09:58 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Leather Seats

I'm looking to replace the leather seat covers in my es, which has become hard brittle, and cracked everywhere
New Leather Seats . com quoted me $570 for the front two seats with European -grained leather seating surfaces (sides and back are vinyl)

So...I was browsing EBAY and found 100% leather seat covers with the same European seat leather (I really doubt any difference between the leather suppliers) 575 SHIPPED! for ALL FOUR SEATS!!!!
I've bought some things on ebay that were a waste of money...(you get what you pay for) but being a college student, I really have to consider the ebay seat covers..
These are in black, but the seller sent me a color sample pic..

The seat pattern is different (the inserts) but they do look more modern compared to the oem design. The seat leather is also stitched in a waterfall design.

Newleatherseats.com has sent me samples, but i am willing to sacrifice some color variation for new leather in all the seats.
I'm leaning more on the color C, but maybe D in my tan interior.

Do you think its worth it?
Old 04-11-08, 10:11 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Yes, new leather seats . com quoted me 570 + shipping for the two front seats.
The listing on ebay is for 575 for all for seats shipped!
I just contacted the seller about the seat pattern...the rear seat headrest pattern doesn't look right to me...
Old 04-12-08, 06:47 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I just contacted the seller about the seat pattern...the rear seat headrest pattern doesn't look right to me...
Yeah, if that is a pic of the rear seat cover (supposedly) to fit your car, I think you'd end up with two big baggy balloons for headrests.

I've never heard of 'waterfall' stitching, what does that mean?
Old 04-12-08, 07:29 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

For 92-94 es's the front seat middle-front insert starts at the middle seam, then 'flows' down over the seat and down the front. (I think 92-94 es's have 100% leather seats...is that right? Anyways...Lexus decided to cost-cut 95-96, only leather seating surfaces, and instead of the leather in the front, there is a seam with leather on the top middle insert, and vinyl on the front.
The seller said they will use the factory seat patterns, and i haven't heard any complaints from other buyer's so i'm going to go ahead and buy these covers
Old 04-12-08, 02:47 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post pics when they come in or when u have them put in ur car
Old 04-12-08, 03:43 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Its been a week and a half and i have not gotten the leather samples from leatherseats.com.....

So i went with the Ebay seats instead
$574
Will be here in a week
I chose the tan "C" color.
Old 04-12-08, 06:11 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it depends on the interior color and stuff. eah im with ariyanna, post pics once it has arrived!

if you look at the 1993 brochure in pdf format, they have leather listed as option. nothing else, so that seems to lend some proof to there being 100% leather

but also, looking at my own car, i have all leather, unless im being fooled? it sure seems like it. my car has every option [unforunately, that moonroof too, which makes my head skim the ceiling once in a while], except automatic transmission.
also, it is listed as a 1300 dollar optoin, that leather trim package, and that was in 1993 ! of course, that's just MSRP value for the leather... dealer was free to set price for options as they saw fit .. then at least, i dont konw about now

Last edited by llcoolpass; 04-12-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 06:16 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

wouldn't the old hard leather underneath affect the seat feel, even through the covers to the occupants butt?
Old 04-12-08, 07:44 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
wouldn't the old hard leather underneath affect the seat feel, even through the covers to the occupants butt?
Exactly why i cannot put up with my sheepskin seat covers right now
Sure, its nice and fuzzy on top, but i can feel the baked, hard leather underneath.

These seat covers i ordered are a replacement, meaning the old leather comes off, and the new leather comes in, with the full oem installation (hog rings)
I'm going to add some Firm side bolstering foam for the front seats too
Old 04-12-08, 07:53 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Post a progress thread when you do. I was considering those from another person too haha
Old 04-21-08, 09:15 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Well...
I FINALLY got the leather samples from leatherseats.com (2 weeks later) because they forgot to put enough postage on it
O well, I already ordered them from Ebay. (Those have been stitched and are being shipped)
Anyways, I was disappointed at the leather quality from leatherseats.com
It is not topgrain leather. It is corrected grain leather, where the leather is buffed smooth, and stamped. The stamping is not even natural looking
I'm also not sure where the source of this leather comes from.
I know my leather seats are coming from Hong Kong (China) but they claim they buy their hides from Europe.
I know their leather is stamped (judging from the pics), but I'm getting 100% leather for all 4 seats.
Anyways, i'll compare the quality when i receive my covers.

I don't know what type of leather Lexus uses. They don not stamp their leather though, so it must be a pigmented top grain.
Old 04-21-08, 09:27 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Yeah, those samples look more like vinyl that's made to look like leather

I wonder if you could buy covers that are made from leather to look like vinyl...no, now wait a minute...that don't make no sense either

Can't wait to see how your all-leather Ebay covers look installed

Be sure to keep us posted.
Old 04-21-08, 09:36 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I would have read this thread earlier. Katzkin's products are awesome and affordably priced. They don't have the 92-96 listed, but a local installer can get the patterns and ship em out. Dangit.
Old 04-21-08, 09:50 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

The samples are pretty soft...but ooooo I'm getting high off of the new leather smell from the samples
Old 04-21-08, 10:00 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by tuan92129
The samples are pretty soft...but ooooo I'm getting high off of the new leather smell from the samples
LOL...if you're high now, just wait till you get all that new leather installed in your ES !! You'll be hallucinating from the glorious aroma of so much cowhide surrounding you...mmmoooooooo!

"Come to mamma, tuan!"

Last edited by Lexucan; 04-21-08 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New Leather Seats