ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3rd brake light mod, aka cyclops eye(gs gen 1 led)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 09:30 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation 3rd brake light mod, aka cyclops eye(gs gen 1 led)

ok since ive been asked by several people how i did what i did. i will try and do a write up so that you knnow what to expect. i didnt take any pictures at the time but will try and discribe it as best as i can.

1.) remove rear seat(bottom and back)
2.) remove screw holding 3rd brake light on
3.) slide the 3rd brake light off its mount.
4.) cut the wire as close to the 3rd brake light as possible.(dont short yourself wire
5.) once the brake light is removed you will see the rear deck metal that it was attached to.
6.) remove the rear deck panel....go slow
7.) you will most likely have to remove the trim on the side of door openings(it hold the rear deck down)
8.) with the seats, deck panel, and 3rd brake light removed here is where you stop
-take a minute and see if you feel comfortable going any further, cutting is involved
9.) the mount for the old brake light is spot welded to the rear deck.
10.) i was able to pop it loose with a large chisle and hammer...be careful here people you dont want to shatter your rear window.
11.) once it is removed you are good to go.
12.) hopefully by now you have your 3rd brake light. there are 3 screw holes below that mount it to your new gs brake light to the deck panel.
13.) pre drill from below and make your holes carefully.
14.) test the light. wire it up and test it. i didnt have any issue at all here. i use wired into the existing 3rd brake light wire and was able to utilize the connector that was there to quick disconnect after my wiring was perfect.
15.) here is where you either do it yourself or take it to an interrior shop. you will have a larger opening on your deck panel than the new brake light covers. so you can either do it yourself or have a professional cover it for you
16.) at this point you will have a perfectly covered deck, with your predrilled holes.
17.) mount your light to the panel
18.) test fit and connect wires(if you left the old wire harness intact this should be easy
19.) remount the deck panel
20.) reinstall door trims.
21.) install seat back
22.) install seat bottom.
23.) enjoy your new led light.

here is mine.\

Old 04-22-08, 09:35 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like fun lol I'll look around for one and if I find one at a good price we may just see what it would look like on a third gen es.
Old 04-22-08, 10:39 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that looks good. That takes priority over CleanSC's LED retrofits now
Old 04-24-08, 09:16 PM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

I got one at a wrecking yard for $75.00 , you will need to get it with the regulater.Small box under the rear deck in the trunk.If you don't get it the l.e.d.s will burn out quick.FYI
Old 04-24-08, 09:18 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

odd, ive had it for a year now. no issues.
:-\
~R
Old 04-24-08, 09:25 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
I got one at a wrecking yard for $75.00 , you will need to get it with the regulater.Small box under the rear deck in the trunk.If you don't get it the l.e.d.s will burn out quick.FYI
I think the regulator is just a resistor to make it so the bulb indicator works.
Old 04-24-08, 11:15 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm...my friend got me thinking about putting it in the roof like some BMWs have it. That is another interesting concept...
Old 05-20-09, 01:28 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Reviving this thread because it's a kewl, subtle modification idea that newcomers to the ES forum might want to know about. This is a nice mod that has the potential to update your aesthetics a bit, as it did on 3rdElement's (3E) ES.

It's also a modification I'm currently implementing.
Following the instructions in the OP I'm up to step #9.
In chats, 3E made a good point about doing what works, and not worrying too much about following his steps to the letter. This is additionally sage advice when you consider 3E had his in a '96 and I'm installing this one in a '92; there could be some differences in the rear deck.

On the other hand this is something that I want to measure/plan carefully and cut once. So I'll show a picture of the current OEM CHMSL mount and ask if it reminds you '96 owners of yours or looks completely different.

Without the 1GS CHMSL on top:

With the 1GS CHMSL on top:

• My current trepidation is in the need to remove the OEM CHMSL mount to accomplish this
  • It appears that the position of the 1GS CHMSL remains at the base of the rear window where it meets the rear deck, with or without the OEM mount in place
  • The rear deck has a cutout to fit around the mount (and former CHMSL shell).
  • Either way I end up recovering the deck to cover up the hole (#15 above).
  • I don't think I end up using the mount when mounting the new CHMSL.
  • I guess, if I'm reading the instructions correctly, I'll mount the GS CHMSL directly to the rear deck panel per #17 above (not the sheetmetal/chassis of the car)
Goals of this post?
  1. If you own something other than a '92 and have removed your rear seat and rear panel, let me know if your CHMSL mount is the same?
  2. Just providing some additional information for others who might consider the same mod.
Old 05-20-09, 07:55 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

looks like the 1996 one.
but yeah i mounted the gs led(the one you have now) and mounted it to the rear deck, not the metal chassis part.
Old 05-31-09, 10:21 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

did you ever finish this?
Old 06-01-09, 09:20 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

HAHAHA! When my OCD gets ahold of a task, you just never know how it's going to end up. I will update you on this thus far...
  • I spent some time taking a look at how to implement this with a professional interior guru
  • That was the first time I really got to test-fit it inside the car out in the sunlight (darker in my garage and made a big difference)
  • He had some brilliant ideas about some options for installation, since I wasn't crazy about how it was wide enough that it hung over both speaker grilles in the rear deck
  • Then the posts come up about CCFL and LEDs in place of the trunk light & I notice the 3rdElement ES (which I revere and miss) dabbled in THAT as well (loved the "UFO Shot"!)
  • So...well that's all I'm gonna say 'til I see if a couple of these options work out (may not...you never know...that's kinda the fun of these things)