ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'96 Window Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 09:04 AM
?uthority
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 ES 300 Issues *Help Appreciated*

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I was hoping someone here can save me some big bucks. A couple of friends and I have been trying for a long time to take off my dash and door panels, but we can't seem to find all the screws or all the clips. I've searched far and wide for any help, but I always come up empty handed.

Right now, I have a problem where the power windows on the driver side won't open the passenger side window. We're trying to open up the door panel and see what's going on because I can still close the passenger side window. I called Lexus, and they said it'd run me about $100. what a rip.

I was also hoping to locate some way to get off the dash, so we could program a few switches into my car.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of some easy-to-get-to grommets. I'm looking for one that will link the rear outside to near the center console and another to link the outside front end through the dash.

Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll be posting up my modded car. We're trying to make it a James Bond car. Think oil slicks, tire traps, changing license plate. I'm 17 btw, which explains why I don't know much and why I need a Bond car.

Last edited by ?uthority; 04-29-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-29-08, 08:05 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ?uthority
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I was hoping someone here can save me some big bucks. A couple of friends and I have been trying for a long time to take off my dash and door panels, but we can't seem to find all the screws or all the clips. I've searched far and wide for any help, but I always come up empty handed.

Right now, I have a problem where the power windows on the driver side won't open the passenger side window. We're trying to open up the door panel and see what's going on because I can still close the passenger side window. I called Lexus, and they said it'd run me about $100. what a rip.

I was also hoping to locate some way to get off the dash, so we could program a few switches into my car.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of some easy-to-get-to grommets. I'm looking for one that will link the rear outside to near the center console and another to link the outside front end through the dash.

Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll be posting up my modded car. We're trying to make it a James Bond car. Think oil slicks, tire traps, changing license plate. I'm 17 btw, which explains why I don't know much and why I need a Bond car.
Cool. I'm 17 too
I wouldn't mess with the dash. (Especially without the factory service manual)
Its very complicated, and involves taking out the airbags, center console, radio, air vents..
The door panels are easy. You will need a new driver's side master switch because you cannot fix the broken switch. Expect to pay around $30 on ebay for a used one.

To take out the door panels, download the factory service manual for the 92-94 es300 (same car..) and you'll have the complete guide on fixing anything in your car w/ pics.
Open your door, and on the left side, you'll see two 'buttons'. They are clips, so you need a flat head screw driver and wedge it inbetween the plastic male head and the female end. Remove two of those. Then remove the circular screw cap on the inner part (right side where the door closes) (tape the flat head tip with masking tape first) and pry around the edge until it comes off. Then take out the screw.
Then, take a flat head and wadge it between the black tweeter speaker cover on the top side. Pull back and it will come out. (its held on with a rubber clip thing)
Then, pry out the cover in the bottom of the arm rest compartment and take out the screw.
Then, take the flat head screw driver, and stick it above the door lock. you will push UP because the door handle bezel is held on by two small 'rods' on the top where the door lock switch is, and the bottom, where the door handle bas is. After the top part has cleared the rod, wedge the flat head between the bezel and the handle and push down. The bezel should be released.
Then, stick the flat head underneath the entire door trim, where the plastic meets the metal, and stick it 4 inches up. Pull out. There are three clips on the bottom. Then on the left side there's one clip, and two clips on the right side. work your way around the edge of the door panel and pull towards you.
Then, pull the entire panel outwards and then upwards to remove. Unclip the trunk/gas opener, door courtesy light, and window switches.
Once that is removed, unscrew the window switch and replace.
(It sounds hard, but you'll get it after experimenting)

BTW, to get to the firewall, and into the engine bay, just feed the wire through the driver side, you'll see a bunch of wires going through the firewall.
Old 04-30-08, 08:31 AM
?uthority
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a bunch