ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hey Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 09:48 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Guys!

Hey guys/gals, how's it going? My name is Chris. I just bought today a 1999 Lexus ES300, with 116000 miles on it. This is my first car that I am actually purchasing myself (only 19.)

Love the car so far, only things that I've found that need to be fixed are the upper LCD display, pretty much can't see any thing on it unless you contort your body in ways that should not be possible, but I've heard it is a very common problem on all of the Lexus vehicles.

Anyways, I just have a few questions. I will be searching as well, but any input is always appreciated.

1. The keys came without the remote for unlock/lock ect..., is that something I would have to get directly from a Lexus dealer, or can I get one from E-Bay and just get it programed?

2. My vehicle came equipped with the 6-CD changer, from what I've read it is pretty difficult to install an aftermarket Head Unit, would it be better to just install new speakers, or get a new HU and get it installed professionally? I am planning on getting a 12" sub, and would like to get a seperate amp for my speakers and sub.

Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 05-01-08, 12:11 PM
jwiley
Driver School Candidate

Infin1ty,

You should make your thread titles more informative. Something like, "help with 99 es300 stereo" etc.

Welcome to the club. I'm a newby myself.
Old 05-01-08, 04:45 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The burnt out LCD needs to be replaced. Directions on a DIY thread sticky at the top.
You will need to buy the keys from the dealer and program the transponder inside.
You can install an aftermarket sub with amplifier with the stock system.
Old 05-01-08, 06:09 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to CL. I am not to sure about the key things, but If you want to put in a after market stereo, you would have to do a bypass for the amp if you are going to put in your own subs. It doesn't cost too much to do the bypass I did mines done cheap. The sound quality is worth the money you pay.
Old 05-01-08, 08:16 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WELCOME TO CL AND THE ES SECTION About your problems you can buy a key fob on ebay and program it but as far as the key yes you can buy on on ebay but you still have to go to the stealership to get it cut. As far as stereo stuff I do have to rant first off I would try to do a search since there have been many posts on this same subject.

Originally Posted by 99es3
but If you want to put in a after market stereo, you would have to do a bypass for the amp if you are going to put in your own subs. The sound quality is worth the money you pay.
As far as wgat 99es3 said can bypass the factory amp but I do have to aurgue that it is not needed if you choice not to. The fact on it sounding better or not has been argued here many times with only one conclusion: If going aftermarket it is best to do 2 amps one for the subs and one for the other speakers with a nice new double din deck . Though if you want to do like I am about to and many others have done here is hook up your subs and amp to the stock subs wiring. Now to do that you need one of two things an amp with high level inputs or a line level converter and yes it is not a good as an aftermarket system but if you don't wana pay about $2k to do it right its a nice way to get some quick easy thump
Old 05-02-08, 11:23 AM
Infin1ty
Driver

Thank you guys for all the advice. My car is actually at a dealership now getting repaired , luckily the dealer is paying for it. So when I go to pick it up I'll have to see how much extra sets of keys are.

As far as the aftermarket HU, I'm a little torn. Don't really know if I want to use the stock amplifier or not. This may be something that I do until I can save up to get the two amps that I am looking at. Luckily, ever since I started looking at sound systems, I decided that I was going to get a separate amp for my subs and the rest of my speakers, so its not to big of a shock!