ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 LexES300 new battery & no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 02:34 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 LexES300 new battery & no start

I was asked to sell a "friends" 1997 ES300 for her after she left town and have run into some problems. First I had to replace a tire and the brakes, then the battery died. We jump started it and it would work fine then not start 2 days later.
I got a new battery and left it out to sell for 4 days and again it wouldn't start. I replaced the battery because it was tested as bad and was under warranty.
Brand new battery, the car won't start. The lights, radio work but the engine makes no noise, maybe a little tiny click when trying to start it.
I figure that something is draining the battery and would like to take it in to get checked but I need to be able to start it first. Anyone have any ideas? Is there a computer reset or anything that I need to know?
Old 04-30-08, 02:49 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

Doesn't sound like its a problem with the battery. As far as the battery dying, it may be the alternator.

As far as it not starting. Could be a couple things. When is the last time it was driven? The fly wheel could have seized

The starter could also be bad.

Does it sound like it even trying to turn over?
Old 04-30-08, 03:13 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

The engine doesn't make any noise except maybe a small click when I turn the key. Doesn't sound like it is trying to crank but I know we are getting juice cuz the lights are on.
Old 04-30-08, 03:26 PM
Infin1ty
Driver

My personal opinion is either the fly wheel or starter.
Old 05-01-08, 06:19 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have starters/alternators/batteries for sell. people come into my work all the time. To bad you don't live in California or I would be able to fix them for you cheap. It should be your starter if you said it just has a tiny click. the clock/radio and things work so its not your battery. If your car cranks and doesn't start it should be your alternator.
Old 05-01-08, 06:34 PM
animefreak
Driver

Starter. Take it out and have it tested at a AutoZone.
Old 05-02-08, 07:18 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the great advice!
Old 05-03-08, 03:37 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

You may be able to get out of this cheap and just hit the starter with a hammer. Literally give it a tap lightly a couple times sometimes the brushes get stuck before there gonna go. You could unload it quick and save some money.
Old 05-07-08, 05:05 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

The bolts are stuck on the starter. Is there a secret to getting those off? I broke the extension of my ratchet set twice now trying to remove the two bolts holding the starter on.
P.S. I already tried hitting the starter with a hammer and it was a no go. Great tip though!
Old 05-08-08, 05:54 AM
lexs300
Driver School Candidate

this happened to me exactly same way. for me it was the damn 8 dollar clip that goes on the battery terminal either positive or negative. too bad i didnt realize it before i spent 100 bucks at lexus for them to tell me that.

try that
Old 05-08-08, 11:18 AM
Infin1ty
Driver

Originally Posted by MMG
The bolts are stuck on the starter. Is there a secret to getting those off? I broke the extension of my ratchet set twice now trying to remove the two bolts holding the starter on.
P.S. I already tried hitting the starter with a hammer and it was a no go. Great tip though!
Have you coated them in WD40 (or some kind of Engine Degreaser?)

If you know anyone with an impact wrench, you would have a much easier time getting the bolts off.
Old 05-08-08, 11:18 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

I took the starter to Autozone and it is fine. Used some Wd40 type stuff to unstick the bolts.
LEXS300 can you tell me more about the $8 clip to the battery? Maybe a pic so I can check mine? Thanks
Old 05-08-08, 11:22 PM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99es3
I have starters/alternators/batteries for sell. people come into my work all the time. To bad you don't live in California or I would be able to fix them for you cheap. It should be your starter if you said it just has a tiny click. the clock/radio and things work so its not your battery. If your car cranks and doesn't start it should be your alternator.
So the starter was checked at Auto Zone and tested good. Do you think this may now be an alternator prob?
Old 05-09-08, 10:05 AM
MMG
Driver School Candidate

I had someone come out and look at it today. He used the key to manually unlock the driver door and then the car started right up. He said it was some kind of a relay. I can't believe that is all it was. Pass the word.
I thought there might be some sort of reset button you had to activate after you replaced the battery and there it was.
Old 05-13-08, 11:39 AM
chuckerst
Rookie

soooo-are you saying it was the starter relay that was bad? how did he check it- I suspect my starter solenoid is bad as I can hear it click, but since it works fine sometimes, I'm wondering if that little relay is defective on mine too-thanks

Quick Reply: 1997 LexES300 new battery & no start