ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Those with KYB strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 02:29 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those with KYB strut mounts

I replaced all 4 struts on my ES with KYB GR-2s about 15000 miles ago. I did it right too, and replaced the mounts as well as the boots, and stops. Everything is KYB. The only thing I didnt replace were the lower spring insulators because they looked fine, and they are kind of hard to find anyway.

I think my right rear mount is bad because its making noise over bumps and its getting worse. Anybosy else have a problem with these? The 3 nuts had to be retorqued a couple of times and they are tight now, but that mount is still making noise. The struts are soild. Maybe I shoulda went with the OE mounts?
Old 05-01-08, 08:53 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get some noises but i have not bothers to isolate it to the mount nuts, because i did torque them correctly. I used new EVERYTHING, except springs, on the rear, and i hear noise, predominiately passengerside [right] rear

if i could do it again, i would have gotten ALL t otoya parts, and all from online to say money. in stead , i did some kyb, and some toyota, and the toyota i got from dlr which charged me 2much

but find out what is causing the noise
Old 05-02-08, 12:15 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same hear guys and i only have about 1500 miles on my new toyota struts, springs, upper and lower insulators, front and rear endlinks, front and rear stablizer bushings and (front and rear strut mount which are KYB) and the rear passenger side is making a clunking noise and I have no clue what it could be especially since its all new.
Old 05-02-08, 10:05 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

hmmm........
Old 05-02-08, 10:48 AM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

I had this problem... Very annoying cluckin noise that makes the car feel like a hoop d..

I changed all four struts with the KYBs.. then only changed the front 2 strut mounts.. the right rear started clunkin 5 miles after the install, so I opted for Autozones Gabriel mount.. Worked for a week, then noise comes back..

What worked for me was Westar's.. part #WSST-2927

*note* I bought mine about a month ago, and these mounts were pretty hard to find.. Moog makes one and so does KYB (a lil more expensive $65-75) both out of stock at the time, but the Westar was, $35 in stock.

Had it installed for a lil over 3 weeks now and it rides a 100x better.. I also noticed it fit much better than the gabriel..

Last edited by Yaj95ES300; 05-02-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: n/a
Old 05-02-08, 11:37 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

is there anyone who did similar stuff to us, and Yaj's intial stuff, and did NOT have the clunk from RIGHTREAR ?
Old 05-02-08, 03:58 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

For what it's worth, and strictly for contrast, I used the Toyota mounts (based on JPI's advice) and am not having any noises.

I'm still not 100% convinced that it helps you completely point the finger at the KYB mounts.
Old 05-02-08, 05:48 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

^ Im about 95% sure the right rear mount is noisy. Its not sway bar noise or anything like that. I actually didnt have any noise when my original struts blew out. Just now. Its weird that alot of you guys had or have issues with the r.r. after the work. On the other hand, i got my reverse lights working again so Im all legit as far as state inspection goes. Next on the list is timing belt/ wa wa pump, then ill worry about the strut mounts.
Old 05-03-08, 03:55 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

the factory were quiet too for me

again, does anyone with our situation NOT have the noise? please chime in
Old 05-03-08, 07:16 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

^Mine should be on by next week. I'll let you guys know if I get it too.
Old 05-03-08, 12:43 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Why would it be the rear right is there a design flaw in the KYB mount or do the screws have to be retorqued cause mine were torqued with a air gun and I dont think theres anymore torque that can done to those screws.

plus I had the upper, lower spring seats and insulators replaced along with the end links and stablizer bar bushings . We have to figure this out guys
Old 05-06-08, 02:19 PM
ebnub
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys..

I'm going to be doing all four struts on my 94ES very soon. Sounds like most of you have used KYBs? What's the pricing on these? I can get a good deal on Gabriels, about 40 bucks a strut for their "Ultra" but I don't want to get what I pay for if you know what I mean.. anyone know anything about Gabriels? What about pricing on the mounts that you guys are talking about?
Old 05-06-08, 05:14 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

again, anyone NOT have this happen to them who did the same parts that we did?

PS Gabriels ==> stupid autozone garba'ge

KYb = good
toyota/lexus = good
Old 05-06-08, 06:46 PM
Yaj95ES300
Rookie

Okay guys, scratch what I said bout the Westar's.. part #WSST-2927.. I was driving on the freeway today when i heard one of the most terrible sounds.. i thought it was an axle snapping..

Then the clunk comes back I took apart the back seat at work and noticed that the metal part of the strut came straight through the mount..

Now its resting under the seatbelt retractor thing, making some terrible noise... Didnt want to get it towed so i drove all the way home.. hope the strut is okay

This is such bad luck.. I will be going on my 3rd mount now and im gonna do it right this time.. to Toyota I go...

For those that used the Toyota mount.. Do i just ask for one for a 95' XLE or V6 Camry mount?
Old 05-06-08, 07:54 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Yaj95ES300
This is such bad luck.. I will be going on my 3rd mount now and im gonna do it right this time.. to Toyota I go...

For those that used the Toyota mount.. Do i just ask for one for a 95' XLE or V6 Camry mount?
Affirmative. I called up Luis at Carson and told him what car I have and what I needed and he hooked me up along with the ClubLexus discount. (ordering on your own? The same gen Toyota Camry V6, yes.)

Quick Reply: Those with KYB strut mounts